Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Engine cutting out

mrboni

Question

Context - quite a hard day riding TET trails at the weekend including one particularly heavy fall on the left hand side.

The bike was fine after, save for a slightly bent shift lever.  The ride home was fine.

This week I've ridden the bike on a few short trips round town.  2 or 3 times the engine lost power for a split second, which was unnerving.  Felt like a fueling issue. 

This afternoon it cut out completely while navigating a car park, locking the back wheel and nearly sending me over 😅

Any ideas?  I wobbled the kickstand around while running and in gear, thinking the sensor may have been knocked, but nothing seemed unusual.  Also I don't *think* the engine would start again if that sensor had been triggered... 

Has a full tank of fuel. Bike stored in a garage out of the rain, and I didn't do any deep water crossings at the weekend.  Though I did wash it thouroughly after getting home

Cheers

Will

6 answers to this question

My side stand switch crapped out after some off-road abuse and it was an intermittent issue leading up to failure. It’s not a great design for installation in a low area prone to mud/water.

I would suggest bypassing the switch and seeing if your problems go away. I ditched my switch and soldered the wires together. 

• Like 4

Pretty simple to cut the wires and twist together to see if that eliminates the switch. I would start there 

Edited by S.Ga.Rider
  • Like 2

is it not the cannister that has bine flooded with benzine from the tip over ?

the eco-friendly ... what ever ?  as at times thy want to add in the gas-vapor of your tank. and if the charcoal canaster is filled with benzine this has the same effect.

• Like 3

If you want to temporarily eliminate the SS switch, the electrical connector is on the left front down tube. Could just un-plug it there and temp jumper the wires until you diagnose the problem. I eliminated mine about day 3 of ownership, as it is something else to go wrong when bush riding.

Also, check your ignition switch. They have a history of not connecting (usually during the power on sequence) the ignition when everything else is powered. Just jiggle it with your left hand while riding. The other place I would look is your tip-over switch. I've had it fail on my WR.

The charcoal cannister typically results in a hard hot start, not an intermittent shut off.

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Thanks for the advice.  A connector jumper for the stand switch arrived today. 

Fitted and took it for a short spin - no cut outs yet so looking promising.   Now waiting for the inevitable car park stand out departure 😄

• Like 2