Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

One leaky fork :(

Cornflake

Hello everyone! I just wanted to share my recent experience briefly. The other night I was riding through a neighborhood and I got into an accident. Someone pulled out in front of me last second and we collided. Impact speed was probably only about 10-15 MPH. It was dark, cars park on both sides of the street making it very narrow and I was more than likely a little throttle heavy and not being as responsible as I should. We were both okay and an initial vehicle inspection lead us to believe both vehicles we fine so we went our separate ways. The bike drove, turned, and felt fine. However I look out this morning and see the left front fork has some decent  gouges and is leaking heavily. Obviously this needs to be fixed. I’m not very familiar with suspension so I do not know if I just need a rebuild or to replace the entire assembly. But seeing as how a rebuild can take a while, with speciality tools. I might just pony up the $650 for a complete new left assembly.(or maybe upgrade both?) I’d love to hear any opinions on the matter. Thank you all! BTW: Whichever route I decide to go I would like to record and post a little write up to add to the maintenance section of forum. 

F1A0BEFD-01AB-447C-8E3E-3DA00C521CB3.jpeg

B6B40451-6A4E-434E-B976-ED8F519AA06F.jpeg

• Like 2

If the other pulled out in front of you he/she is at fault i presume, didn't you exchange personal data in case something seems to be wrong after all like the case now?
There are a few possibility's like a simple damaged seal to a bend inner tube.
I changed my standard cardride to a Touratech closed cardride without any special tools other then the tool needed for the new top cap that came with the suspension kit.
But when it's a insurance case you never should do it yourself.

• Like 3

She definitely made a large error and I’m sure would hold the majority of the fault. However there’s blame on my part as well. So no, there was not an exchange of info. I have a policy that will cover this type of situation but the parts needed are almost as much as my deductible (if I need the entire left fork assembly) At this point I’d rather save the hassle. I tried setting an appointment at a couple local dealerships. All with a 3-4 week wait time just to look at the bike 😕 it looks like I’m gonna have to get wrenching soon. 

That scratch is cosmetic, on the outer tube. You should have the bike looked at, like mentioned above, the inner tube might be bent or the seal damaged. 

it wouldn’t hurt to have the steering head parts looked at, too.

The only way to get smarter is to tackle some of this stuff yourself. Youtube is your friend!

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Pull the whole tube and then run a straight edge along the tubes to see if they are bent. I would bet it is bent where it is secured in the clamps.

• Like 1

If you had access to a dial indicator, you could take the wheel off, the cap and spring out, then just grab the lower fork leg and turn it to see how far it was out.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Thank you for the advice everyone. I think I’m gonna try a rebuild on the individual fork first. @smd3Even if everything goes smooth I’ll still take it to my dealership appointment that’s a month away 🥲 she’ll probably be due for a little service anyway. @HibobbI’ve got no idea what I’m doing but I used YouTube to learn how to pull my suburban transmission a couple years ago. Not too worried. You’re right, YouTube is truly a blessing. @JRS700Im definitely going to give that a try. Just going to have to wait for some free time. Thank you!

this thread is amazing,  I'm so encouraged by this Forum - so many of us here are inexperienced, and then are able to get help and info so quickly. I wish more of Life worked out like this.

• Like 3