Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Quadlock wireless-no charge with PC8

T700NB

Question

I have a quadlock wireless charger that previously was powered through a USB port in the aux outlet on the dash.   I added an eastern beaver PC8. and wired the quad lock to that and now the charging is very intermittent.  It actually seems that if I just idle my bike it will charge but shortly after I start riding, it will stop charging.  The light on the Quadlock changes from solid green to flashing blue which apparently indicates a problem.  I know the charging unit works because if I change it back to the USB through the aux port it charges fine.  I have a Zumo XT also wired to the PC8 and charges perfectly.  I have changed fuses and locations on the PC8 (All switched ports on the PC8).  Wondering if anyone has any explanation or suggestions??

thanks. 

12 answers to this question

I've found some info here on the forum a few days ago (can't find the link): It says that the charger can't handle the high voltage output when the engine is revving higher than idle. Alternator seems to be "too strong" - only an issue if it's directly wired to the 12V lines on the bike, not via a (voltage stabilizing) USB port.

Could this be the case in oyur installation?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, T700NB said:

powered through a USB port in the aux outlet

The aux outlet is 12 volt. The USB adapter you plugged into it reduced the voltage to around 5 volt.

How did you connect to the PC8 unit? If you cut the usb end off and wired it directly you are getting around 14 volts when the bike is running.

Zumo XT has a rectangular box on the power cord that drops the bike voltage down to something it can use. 

It doesn't sound like your wireless charger does this.

• Like 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

5 hours ago, Tenerider said:

I've found some info here on the forum a few days ago (can't find the link): It says that the charger can't handle the high voltage output when the engine is revving higher than idle. Alternator seems to be "too strong" - only an issue if it's directly wired to the 12V lines on the bike, not via a (voltage stabilizing) USB port.

Could this be the case in oyur installation?

that sounds exactly like my problem....  I didnt see that post before.  I will try and find

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hibobb said:

The aux outlet is 12 volt. The USB adapter you plugged into it reduced the voltage to around 5 volt.

How did you connect to the PC8 unit? If you cut the usb end off and wired it directly you are getting around 14 volts when the bike is running.

Zumo XT has a rectangular box on the power cord that drops the bike voltage down to something it can use. 

It doesn't sound like your wireless charger does this.

the wireless charger came with a wiring harness that I used - there is a usb a to c plug, there is a small piece that the USB-A plugs in one end that has SAE on the other end and there was a small cable that plugged into the SAE that had ring terminals on the other end - I cut off the ring terminals and wired those in to the PC8.  Does this look ok??  I loosened the connections just so you can see.  This is the harness that comes with the wireless charger you would think it should work?

IMG_2473.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Hogan said:

Yes the Quadlock is a USB/5V device.

Quadlock have their own 12 to 5 volt converter specifically for installation on motorcycles, sold separately though.

What I would do is just remove the board from one of the many cigarette socket USB ports I have lying around and hard wire it that way.

I didnt see the converter on the quad lock website.  Is this what you are referring to??   

The Quad Lock Waterproof 12V to USB Smart Adaptor comes with everything needed to power your Quad Lock Weatherproof Wireless Charging Head from your motorcycle, boat or caravan.

• Like 1

That is what i would expect to see. I am not sure if that is the same thing I see in the link.

You might want to call Quadlock tech support... I am just guessing at stuff.

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

You do know that the 2-prong connection looks like it is not fully plugged in....

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

50 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

You do know that the 2-prong connection looks like it is not fully plugged in....

yeah loosened it just to show the connections

Update - I still have not been able to get this to work correctly.

I did reach out to quad lock - they had no suggestions but offered a full refund with return, or keep the unit and accept a 50% refund.  I decided to keep it.

There was a post previously that I can't find now and a few people suggested the problem was the bike was supplying too much voltage and in previous post someone had added a voltage converter which did the trick.  

I ordered and installed the same voltage converter = unfortunately same problem.....as soon as the bike revs up 6-7000rpm the charger fails.  I have a dual USB port in place of my 12v aux and that voltmeter will get up to about 14.5 at those rpm's....

I have wired in another usb plug like the one in my dash under the seat and have the charger plugged in to that which seems to function fine.  I just dont like relying on the USB connection - no matter how well I wrap it I feel like eventually at the most inopportune time it will fail due to water/rust/corrosion etc.  would much prefer to have hard-wired.  

Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions??  Does anyone actually have a wireless charger directly wired to battery or something similar to PC8 that is working fine??  I can't imaging my bike or charger is any different??  Maybe I should try another charger head?

48 minutes ago, Lewie said:

What about this? Or something similar- it’s tucked up under the seat 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XSCCLCD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

steps down the output

Yep agree that would work and will probably go that route. At this point I am just more puzzled (and annoyed) that I can’t get expensive harness and device i paid for to work….😉