Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Cyclops Multifunction 3.0 LED Signal

prowlnS10

My Cyclops Multifunction 3.0 LED Turn Signals recently arrived & imho the redesign & added features/functionality of the 3.0 version were worth waiting for, in particular, the rear running/brake light option & increased output. To see video & my full review of the Cyclops signals as well as review of the 12 0'Clock Lab LED Turn Signals visit my blog here

To quote their website:  We have heard you on wanting a brighter setup and have stepped it up with the 3.0 version, all new bodies, lenses Emitters and stems. We are also adding a running and brake light function. Now easily turn your blinkers into additional running lights and or brake lights(rear) for added visibility. Bright white light in the front and red in the rear. . Rear red brake lights will come on sequentially flashing twice then go to solid red! Dazzling bright Amber sequential blinker functions.
All in a Extremely rugged rubber stock to help prevent damage from a tip over or impact with brush, trees etc. Bends back 90 degrees or more. These are durable but not unbreakable.

20220519_131731d.jpg.4ff78764c8f2a1f716ea10a5ef82ddaf.jpg

The T7 specific kit comes with oem connectors, plastic plate adapters that were a snug fit on the oem front mount openings & needed some filing to fit the Camel Tail Tidy oem shaped mounts that convert the oem turn signal oblong rubber mount system to a 10 mm bolt attachment, a LED flasher to ensure proper flash speed & dash indicator function. Cyclops provides detailed print installation instructions (see below or blog link above) that caution not to twist signals to tighten or overtighten the mounting nut to prevent damage to the semi-hard rubber stalks and/or the plastic oblong shaped mounting adapters...initially I tightened the nut hand snug with a wrench, but had to tighten a little more to prevent rotation of the stalks in the mounts. With regards to crash worthiness here is a quote from their website: "All in an Extremely rugged rubber stock to help prevent damage from a tip over or impact with brush, trees etc. They do now have a much harder rubberized stem, they will bend, but are stiff, durable but not unbreakable". There is no mention of water intrusion performance on their website, however, the 3.0 have been made as water resistant as possible incorporating a sealed lens + seal & sealer in the wire pass through...short of full submersion, they should be water resistant under normal use...should there be a issue Cyclops has a stellar reputation of customer service & standing behind their products. Quality & finish look good (certainly an aesthetic improvement over the oem pumpkins that had a tendency to bounce up/dn & pop out of their mounts on rough terrain) with 2 rows of LED arrays...white for running lights & amber for the front turn signals...the running lights utilize a sequential start up sequence then stay fully lit while the signal functions in sequence from inner to outer direction...both being very bright & brighter than the 12oClockLabs LED signals I returned (see blog link above) + the Cyclops signal material & lens seem higher quality & more durable. The front signals were an easy install requiring removal of the front side panels & plug-n-play connectors.  

Front Running Light (for video see blog link above)

20220524_122036e.jpg.554a96c60bd9f220f71eee625614d152.jpg

The rear signals have a red array for running/brake light option, which sequentially flashes 2x back & forth, then the entire array flashes 1x then stays fully on upon brake activation...if a turn signal is on when brakes are applied, then that signal flashing function is temporarily suspended & returns after the brake light sequence noted above has completed 1 cycle. If the emergency flashers are selected then the running/brake light option is suspended. The turn signal is amber & operates  sequentially like the fronts. Installation is more involved, requiring removal of the seats, side panels, rear wrap around body panel, some of the oem fender/tail light/turn signal assembly & depending on if other accessories have been added such as an aftermarket tail tidy like my Camel ADV &/or rear luggage rack like my Yowling rack (Altrider copy) &/or side luggage racks like my DirtRacks the process can become more  time consuming.  The oem wiring harness is tucked next to the left rear frame rail (see pic below) & utilizes a grey connector for the left signal & a black connector for the right, as noted in the Cyclops instructions (see below or blog link above)...another grey connector similar to the left signal, but with reversed male/female connectors, is for the licence plate light & there is a larger white connector for the tail/brake light  The Cyclops rear signal harnesses ship with  positap connectors installed for the red & blue wires for the rear running/brake light option & need to be disconnected then reconnected to mount the signals on the bike & tap into whichever circuit is preferred...I opted for the brake light function for increased conspicuity....red Cyclops wire taps into oem yellow wire for brake function, Cyclops blue wire taps into oem blue wire for running light option. I do like that Cyclops uses red LEDs for the rear running/brake lights...which adheres to the vehicle code for correct colour for rear running or brake lights in BC & most jurisdictions. 

Rear Brake Light Option (for video see bog link above)

20220525_165239g.jpg.2d5107e64245af60bcc93c4f34495562.jpg

OEM Wiring Harness/Connectors

20220524_161334f.jpg.9297d472aafd7836735d599f1c3e0db7.jpg

Cyclops Installation Instructions
869160747_CyclopsMultifunction3.0TurnSignalInstructionsh.jpg.e3275085e26d3ae16b2288b061f216cb.jpg
2022_05_25_16_25_12_002a.jpg.5ee678ed9713f85d33f0c4da7fb683d8.jpg
2022_05_25_16_25_14b.jpg.21ea259e8c85dcd0b1a83d97d1ba3019.jpg
2022_05_25_16_25_15c.jpg.83d2cc18af90a9a30095863811dd9056.jpg

UPDATE July 2023: Failure of Left Rear Signal

The left rear Multifunction 3.0 signal has completely failed…no turn signal or brake light function…all 3 other 3.0 signals work correctly for signal, running & brake light function.…I checked all wiring, fuses & tried switch the rear signal connectors from left to right & checked the red brake light positap connection, but no change…they were installed May 25, 2022 & used for 7,000 km or 4,300 miles of light use & have never seen rain or subjected to any crash or damage. 

20230709_121216.jpg

There have been reports of the lens not sealing correctly resulting in failure from water ingress, but mine shows no indications of this. I wonder, if in my case, water was able to trace the wiring via gravity feed & enter into the hollow metal mounting stalk…more of an issue with the rear signal because of increased exposure to water & the signal being the lowest point of the harness.  Daryl at Cyclops is warranty replacing the rear set, but have now discontinued this product line due to inconstant manufacturing details allowing moisture to get inside the lights with plans to develop a replacement with improved durability . I will try sealing the stalk hole/wiring harness with silicon.
Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

thank you for doing the detailed write-up. I have the Cyclops Aurora lights on a wish list, and now I'll add these too. Cyclops seem to have figured out how to do it right and make it easy, their stuff looks great. 

Good info, thanks for providing. 

I bought my T7 used, and it already an earlier version Cyclops front and rear LED signal kit installed which I thought was great. Then one day my cousin and I swapped bikes, and while following my T7 I was appalled at how dim those rear Cyclops signals actually were. I replaced the rears with LED signals from 12 O'Clock Labs which were brighter, but don't appear to be quite as bright as the new Cyclops 3.0.

I hope Cyclops has also increased the quality of their front signal construction. The plastic of my T7's front right signal will not stay tight with the metal attachment stalk, requiring me to continually reapply Super Glue to keep it from drooping.     

On 5/29/2022 at 5:01 AM, jdub53 said:

Good info, thanks for providing. 

I bought my T7 used, and it already an earlier version Cyclops front and rear LED signal kit installed which I thought was great. Then one day my cousin and I swapped bikes, and while following my T7 I was appalled at how dim those rear Cyclops signals actually were. I replaced the rears with LED signals from 12 O'Clock Labs which were brighter, but don't appear to be quite as bright as the new Cyclops 3.0.

I hope Cyclops has also increased the quality of their front signal construction. The plastic of my T7's front right signal will not stay tight with the metal attachment stalk, requiring me to continually reapply Super Glue to keep it from drooping.     

Have just updated the review after a recent conversation with Darryl regarding how water resistant the new 3.0 are & it appears that they have improved that aspect as well the other updates including the stalks:  There is no mention of water intrusion performance on their website, however, the 3.0 have been made as water resistant as possible incorporating a sealed lens + seal & sealer in the wire pass through...short of full submersion, they should be water resistant under normal use...should there be a issue Cyclops has a stellar reputation of customer service & standing behind their products.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Thanks for your post some great info. I just installed the T700 specific kit of front and rear turning signals, everything works except for the front running lights 

Yamaha wiring side only has 2 cables to the plug but the cyclops side has 3?

Any help would be great thanks from Australia 

1 hour ago, Bretta said:

Thanks for your post some great info. I just installed the T700 specific kit of front and rear turning signals, everything works except for the front running lights 

Yamaha wiring side only has 2 cables to the plug but the cyclops side has 3?

Any help would be great thanks from Australia 

My cyclops front and rear turn signals were plug n play.  Work great!!!!   Contact Daryl at Cyclops and he will help figure out what is going on.  GREAT people!!!

info@cyclopsadventuresports.com

• Like 2

100% correct Daryl replied straight away

For future reference 

Thank you, It has come to our attention that some eu bikes are not wired with the wire that runs the white running lights in the front. 
 There should be 3 wires in the front blinker connectors on the bike side, If there are only two, cut the white wire from each side of the cyclops lights and run them to the accessory power wire(s) one each side of the bike, you can double them up and go to one if desired.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I recently installed these Cyclops turn signals, and I notice that the signal indicator lights on my dash no longer blink when a turn signal is on.   The dash lights come on, but they are solid,  it blinking. The signals themselves seem to work just fine. Is this normal?

3 hours ago, Zero600 said:

I recently installed these Cyclops turn signals, and I notice that the signal indicator lights on my dash no longer blink when a turn signal is on.   The dash lights come on, but they are solid,  it blinking. The signals themselves seem to work just fine. Is this normal?

Suggest you ask cyclops. Following. 

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who may be interested - the dash indicators SHOULD blink.  Cyclops advised me to swap the 2 red wires leading to the relay.  This fixed the problem.  Not great quality control on their part, but it's a simple fix - assuming you discover it before you put all the plastics back on 😀

I also wanted to mention that I had a problem similar to @jdub53 with the front indicators not staying in place.  I determined that the adapter plates from Cyclops (that fill the tear-drop shaped opening in the plastics) are too thick.  They bottom out against one-another before squeezing the plastics, so the indicators move around no matter how much you tighten them down.  I sanded each adapter plate a little bit on the inside/back surface and was then able to get a tight fit.  I haven't ridden them a lot but so far so good.

IMG_0409.JPG

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zero600 said:

For anyone who may be interested - the dash indicators SHOULD blink.  Cyclops advised me to swap the 2 red wires leading to the relay.  This fixed the problem.  Not great quality control on their part, but it's a simple fix - assuming you discover it before you put all the plastics back on 😀

I also wanted to mention that I had a problem similar to @jdub53 with the front indicators not staying in place.  I determined that the adapter plates from Cyclops (that fill the tear-drop shaped opening in the plastics) are too thick.  They bottom out against one-another before squeezing the plastics, so the indicators move around no matter how much you tighten them down.  I sanded each adapter plate a little bit on the inside/back surface and was then able to get a tight fit.  I haven't ridden them a lot but so far so good.

IMG_0409.JPG

The problem with my front Cyclops signals is actually on the stalks themselves, and not where they contact the bike's fairing. Both signals get loose and droop/rotate around the stalk at the outer edge of the somewhat corroded nut. When that happens, a few drops of Super Glue between the nut and the signal holds it solidly again for months. A Mickey Mouse system for sure, and one of these days I'll get around to replacing these signals with something of better quality.

20230301_063539.jpg.b746184725ffb651b8ad0528676d9f2c.jpg

4 hours ago, jdub53 said:

The problem with my front Cyclops signals is actually on the stalks themselves, and not where they contact the bike's fairing. Both signals get loose and droop/rotate around the stalk at the outer edge of the somewhat corroded nut. When that happens, a few drops of Super Glue between the nut and the signal holds it solidly again for months. A Mickey Mouse system for sure, and one of these days I'll get around to replacing these signals with something of better quality.

20230301_063539.jpg.b746184725ffb651b8ad0528676d9f2c.jpg

Gotcha. Mine are a bit different, no visible nut on the outside. I hope it is an improvement….

• Like 1