Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

stripped front sprocket nut?

yaman

Question

I was about to change front sprocket, when I loosened and removed the nut, it had a little "spring" in it. It looks like nut got stripped? Have you ever seen something like this before? Nut does not want to go back easily so I did not force it, I will visit dealer tomorrow to ask what's up. I have the bike from new and to my knowledge, nobody touched sprockets so far.

20220530_185733.jpg

20220530_185659.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 answers to this question

Just buy a new nut.  Be careful when installing to make sure it goes on straight and then lock it in place properly.

Your thought on this being caused during assembly is probably correct.  Minor issue, don't lose sleep over it, move on.

• Like 1

The spring, isn't a spring, It's a little metal lock to keep the nut in place. It's supposed to be gently punched out, or loosened, then the nut removed. if you tried to removed the nut with the lock in place... Well, it did it's job. 

Camel ADV has a clip showing how to change it

new nut required ,as it should have when removed, and it looks like the output shaft thread will clean up with a thread file or die. let the dealer sort it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ScorpionT16 said:

The spring, isn't a spring, It's a little metal lock to keep the nut in place. It's supposed to be gently punched out, or loosened, then the nut removed. if you tried to removed the nut with the lock in place... Well, it did it's job. 

I did punch it out on both sides, but it was not really punched in (in the little valley). It seemed to me that it was punched in but few millimeters  to the left. This is a screenshot from far and further video, am I imagining it or is the punched in area little bit on the left?

image.png.a378bdfee2e779fef03831a9681193f2.png

My theory is that on my bike, they punched it in (in the factory) little too hard and little too left, damaging the thread and nut got stripped when removing, due to this.

• Thanks 1

If your bike is under warranty and you have a “good” dealer  wanting to help out their customer, they should take care of it 👍

Edited by Redneckj
Cause

success! I got new nut and set of mini files. I fiddled a bit with the files, but it probably didn't do much. There was some tension when tightening, but all seems good now. Thanks for the replies, the best answer was probably not to do a big deal out of it 😄 (tbh I was worried that axle thread is fubared and it will result in costly and lengthy repair -> non of it happened -> me happy)

20220531_173038.jpg

• Like 2