Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Another noob from NC, USA

Alabamacoastie

Hi everyone! 

I just turned 40yo a couple of days ago.

About a year ago, I bought my first motorcycle; a new 2022 Yamaha TW200.

My dad always had big bikes. He taught me to ride a Honda 250ish cc shadow when I was 12yo. That was a big bike for a 12yo with no riding experience. When I was 16yo I graduated to his Honda 800cc road bike. I never attempted to ride any of his decked out Harley Ultra Glides because I was a teenager and intimidated by their power, weight, and value... I never wanted to find out what my dad would do if I dropped one of his Harleys so I never touched them...

Then,  I enlisted in the Coast Guard and traded bikes and broads for boats and hoes (drug runners actually)... I enjoyed that part of my life, but I only did 6 years. After two trips to Iraq and about 20 counter narcotics patrols in South America, my new wife talked me into getting out and settling down to a safer, non federal leo, lifestyle. I got a free bachelor's degree from Uncle Sam and started a new career in pharmaceutical research. Yes... I went from chasing illegal drugs to creating prescription drugs... I do see the irony there...

So fast forward to last year... I now live on a 30 acre farm in NC. I wanted a bike that I could putt putt around the pasture and legally drive to town, from time to time. But, I hadn't touched a clutch lever in 23 years. I was nervous and decided to go with a safe bet... So, I bought a Yamaha TW200.

I took the rider safety course, got a tag, got a motorcycle license, and over the last year I've put 700 miles on it.  I love driving it all over the rural roads near my home. It's a great bike, and I can't wait to teach my young daughters to ride it when they are old enough. 

But, after a year, I'm really comfortable on it and feeling bored with the top speed of 59mph. I want a new bike that's street legal, offroad ready, and can go fast enough for major highways. 

I'm 95% sure that I want to buy a new Tenere 700. The only other bike I'm interested in is a Honda Africa Twin DCT... But, after reading websites and watching videos I'm leaning heavily toward the Tenere 700.

I'm here to read, listen, and learn from you guys. I'm looking forward to being a part of the community. 

Thanks! 

• Like 3

hey Coastie - welcome to the Forum. your dad did a great job laying the foundation for you.  some of the guys here have/ had Africa Twins, the only other option, as far a I'm concerned, and they're both fine choices. enjoy the journey   you can't pick a wrong bike!

• Like 1

Welcome. The Tenere, in my opinion, is a do just shout anything machine. Cheap, reliable, quite powerful. Plenty of bits to farkle it to your taste. Enjoy!

• Like 1

I just bought a 2021 T700 with 85 miles on it. I'm officially a T700 owner! 

20220607_144411.jpg.55a8030cbb9b187b14dab883a62c532d.jpg

Edited by Alabamacoastie
  • Like 4

Congratulations @AlabamacoastieThat's one shiny bike you found there.  Won't be that way for long I'll bet.  Post a ride pic soon.

• Like 1

• Moderators

@AlabamacoastieNice color and welcome to the forum.  I too initially wanted black, but when a red/white new one materialized,  I jumped on it.  Enjoy the new bike!

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

6 hours ago, Landshark said:

Congratulations @AlabamacoastieThat's one shiny bike you found there.  Won't be that way for long I'll bet.  Post a ride pic soon.

Here's my first ride pic. I went to fill her up with gas, but I was having too much fun to go straight home. I told my wife I'd be right back, but I ended up putting a quick 30 miles on the bike. I am so glad I bought this bike. So much pure fun...

20220608_125407.jpg.45bc60af0d5ad3ac03563bbaf7486872.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome.

Glad to see you're enjoying your new ride. I hope you are in Western NC for all the good trails and twisty roads there.  Unfortunately, if you are in pharmaceutical research, I'd guess the Research Triangle is more likely.

My wife is in drug research here in Birmingham, AL and rides a FZ-07 to work.

• Like 1

I live in the woods, near Pittsboro,  NC. We've got 30 acres of woods, trails, and gravel roads. And the property is surrounded by beautiful country roads. There are always people on motorcycles running around out here.

I have been working from home for the last 10 years, but I just accepted a new job in Research Triangle Park (Raleigh). I'll have to go into the office 2 days a week. On pretty days I plan to ride this bike there. It'll get a lot better mpg than my F250.

1 hour ago, norton73 said:

Welcome.

Glad to see you're enjoying your new ride. I hope you are in Western NC for all the good trails and twisty roads there.  Unfortunately, if you are in pharmaceutical research, I'd guess the Research Triangle is more likely.

My wife is in drug research here in Birmingham, AL and rides a FZ-07 to work.

Is she at UAB? I've managed several clinical trials with PIs in Birmingham at UAB. That's supposed to be a fantastic university and medical school. 

I was born and raised in Georgiana, just south of Greenville on I-65. It's about half way between Montgomery and Mobile. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 3:51 PM, Alabamacoastie said:

Is she at UAB? I've managed several clinical trials with PIs in Birmingham at UAB. That's supposed to be a fantastic university and medical school. 

I was born and raised in Georgiana, just south of Greenville on I-65. It's about half way between Montgomery and Mobile. 

She's employed at Southern Research, just down the road from UAB. They collaborate with UAB often on projects. She manages the high throughput drug screening lab.

• Like 1