Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Am I too heavy for T7?

Alabamacoastie

I am 40yo. I am 6 feet tall with 32 inch inseam and I weigh 275 pounds. 

Am I too heavy for this bike right off the showroom floor?

I've spent the last year riding a TW200 with stock suspension. I've been on road and off. I've loved it.  But I want a stronger, faster bike that I can ride on major highways at faster speeds. 

What do you all think? 

Thanks! 

6 minutes ago, Alabamacoastie said:

I've spent the last year riding a TW200 with stock suspension. I've been on road and off. I've loved it.  But I want a stronger, faster bike that I can ride on major highways at faster speeds. 

What do you all think? 

Thanks! 

You will be fine on it. Plan on some pricey suspension work for your weight and it will work great for you.

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

Yes, you will need to re-spring the shock and forks.  I am 6’4”, 225 lbs, and a 35” inseam.   My 2021 was too softly sprung which gave a very harsh feel to the suspension.  I installed KTech front .66 springs and a KTech 9.0 rear spring.  I used BelRay 5w fork oil/approx 21 oz with the oil level set between 100-105mm with forks collapsed and springs out.  The suspension is much, much better and the KTech springs are direct fit with no shims or spacers.

• Like 3

6'4", 350lbs here. You'll be fine, unless you're expecting a rocket ship to go plaid...

Like others have said, re-spring and you'll be fine for most stuffs. There are expensive options too, if you think you need more, but start with the springs and go from there. (Racetech looks about $350ish US to get you set up with in-the-ballpark springs).

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 8:03 PM, Alabamacoastie said:

What do you all think? 

Thanks! 

Welcome @Alabamacoastie

If you were able to ride a TW200 at that weight, you should be able to ride the T7 too.

I'm 5'7" and I weighed out at 190 lbs.  I was too heavy to do most physical things comfortably.  So I began a weight loss journey and lost 25 lbs and have kept it off for 6 months now.  I'll now lose 10 more pounds of weight to get to my optimum weight.  

I really notice the weight loss when riding the T7.  No more bottoming out the rear shock.  And I feel way more comfy when standing up and sitting down while riding.  Believe it or not, I found it difficult to push my legs up and got tired legs quickly on the bike.  Way better now.  

I also started a weight lifting program for whimps.  I fit right in.

Time to start a healthy living thread on this site.  

• Like 3

On 6/1/2022 at 9:03 PM, Alabamacoastie said:

What do you all think?

Am I too heavy for T7... 

HMF while I shred on my new dirtbike : r/holdmyfries

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

On 6/2/2022 at 5:03 AM, Alabamacoastie said:

What do you all think? 

Thanks! 

I'm 193cm / 6'4 with 34in inseam. My weight fluctuates between 110-120kg (250-265lb). Have no issues whatsoever. My first 5000km (3200mi) I drove with stock suspension and springs. Suspension was still way better than most of the bikes I've ridden/owned before. 

I think the 75kg weight limit has become somewhat unquestionable fact with T7 community, even though it has no basis. Or to be exact, it has some basis, but effects are highly exaggerated  and mostly just mouth to mouth fact that no one seems to question. Is T7 stock suspension too soft for 120kg rider. Absolutely. Is there a single bike in production that has stock springs that are optimal for 120kg rider. No there is not. But even if most of the stock bikes are optimized to 70-85kg (155-190lbs) riders, you don't see such enthusiasm and chatter about springs with any other bike. Do people trash 890 springs and recommend changing them immediately? And why don't they? 890 is optimized for 80kg riders vs. T7 75kg? So 5kg weight difference apparently makes all the difference.... Or maybe T7 owners are more offroad oriented and push their bikes way more than KTM drivers do....

Of course it's good to point out that because T7 has progressive linkage, correct rider sag changes rear suspension more drastically than it does for example in 890. So you will get more bang for the buck when changing springs to T7 than you would in 890. But still I think spring discussion has gotten way out of proportion in general. If you're gonna do something for the suspension, springs are great place start (or actually should always be the place to start), just like it is in any other bike. 

In a way I'm actually pleased that people are talking more about correct spring ratings, because no one seemed to be interested about it before T7. Reason for this sure wasn't because before T7 every bike manufacturer did bikes with springs that rewrote the laws of physics. When I was still driving a BMW I was the strange fellow ranting about updating your springs before actually making any other changes to your suspension. Now in the midst of this spring discussion hurricane, I'm ranting about the fact that T7 is just as bad as any other stock bike that has stock springs in it.

Strange huh?

Edited by witgen
fixed a typo
  • Like 3

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I do appreciate it and you all have made me feel better about this choice. 

Yes, I'm heavier than I'd like to be, but I'm still a fairly athletic guy who enjoys doing lots of outdoor things. 

I have had my TW200 for over a year now and I ride it frequently. I ride 80% on road and 20% offroad, but my offroad riding has all been flat gravel roads. I'm not looking for any jumps or mud holes. 

When I bought it, I also bought a much firmer rear spring, but I've never installed it. It's still in the box. 

When I get my T7, I'll take it somewhere and get the suspension upgraded by a professional. 

Safe riding everyone! 

• Like 1

So what i dont understand from the bike manufactures then, they make most bikes for pillions. Reading about all these suspension questions, then you cannot take a pillion with stock suspension cos i would be way to soft? I always ride single, no weight issues for me though.

25 minutes ago, BikeBrother said:

So what i dont understand from the bike manufactures then, they make most bikes for pillions. Reading about all these suspension questions, then you cannot take a pillion with stock suspension cos i would be way to soft? I always ride single, no weight issues for me though.

Exactly. Travelling with pillion makes suspension sub-optimal. This doesn't mean it's bad or unusable, just that it isn't working with peak performance. And this is exactly what I'm ranting about. If springs would have such a drastic effect on things, bikes with non-optimal springs would be absolute death traps when riding with pillion. 

I'd bet that most of the T7 owners wouldn't even notice if some one would change their spring to stiffer/softer and set the preload to right ballpark. I know I wouldn't. It would probably take me weeks to even start wondering about it, if my springs would be changed to stock versions. I'd notice eventually but definitely not right away. 

6'4", 310lbs.  Needed new springs for sure.  But the reality is, being a 310lb guy, absolutely every motorcycle needs new springs. Every single one, bar none.  Nobody ships bikes with springs adequate for us large lads.

But with that said?  The T7 is *outrageously* comfortable for bigger riders, particularly with a couple small mods like lowered footpegs and a rally seat.   Mine's hilarious, in that people below 6' can't really ride it at all anymore without assistance (36" seat height and the stiffest springs I could find means it doesn't compress at all), but god it's so comfortable for me.  My legs are open, not all bent at the knees, so transitioning between seated and standing positions is effortless and it's very easy to weight pegs - I suppose how it is for ~5'9"ish riders on a stock bike.  

With the Stoltec 7.35N front springs and Off The Road 95N rear spring, it feels great.  Definitely has no trouble moving my ass around, and I'm not bottoming out the suspension anymore.  

Do note, though, the stock clicker settings on the bike from the dealer (as per the service manual anyways, YMMV) are nearly full-soft.  

• Like 1

I am happy to tell you all:

I AM NOT TOO HEAVY FOR A T700!

I bought one today! 

I got a great deal on a like new 2021 with 85 miles on it...

I just got it home and went for my first ride.  I went for a quick 3 mile ride on gravel and pavement. It rode like a dream. 

I'm so excited to ride it again, for real, tomorrow! 

20220607_144411.jpg.2e9e227abe1e0667fc0ec9d0e2ad71bd.jpg

Edited by Alabamacoastie
  • Like 6

Luckily you were able to find one in the best color!

85 miles???? His loss your win!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I honestly wanted the 2022 black (raven) color.  But, this color is really growing on me. I thought it was just white and red, but when I saw it in person today, I realized that it has a shiny sparkle in the white paint. It was much sexier than I originally thought from seeing pics online. 

And, if I get tired of it, I can always buy one of those fancy decal kits. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Luckily you were able to find one in the best color!

85 miles???? His loss your win!!

Yes. He is a really nice person. He bought it and bought a bunch of upgrade parts and then came down with an illness. He needed to sell asap. I got really lucky. The bike, title, paperwork, and the extra parts for $11,000 cash. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alabamacoastie said:

The bike, title, paperwork, and the extra parts for $11,000 cash

Well done, sounds like a win/win.

Of course you know that now the real work begins (Aftermarket "Stuff" $$$).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

5 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Well done, sounds like a win/win.

Of course you know that now the real work begins (Aftermarket "Stuff" $$$).

Yes... Last year I bought a 2022 TW200. I upgraded a ton of stuff on it, and I turned all the wrenches myself. 

I like the TW a lot, but it was too slow to ride on the 65mph highways... And, I always felt like a fat guy riding a hot midget chick... I put 700 miles on it, and finally felt confident enough to buy a grown up bike. 

I actually feel proportional on the T700.

I'm keeping the TW to teach my wife and kids how to ride. My young daughters are excited about it, but they need to grow a few more inches before the lessons can begin. 

My wife told me she'd like to learn to ride the TW and we can go on trail rides together. 

I'm going to go take the motorcycle safety course again with her so that a professional can teach her to ride. She'll listen to a stranger better than she listens to her husband of 14 years. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Alabamacoastie said:

I'm going to go take the motorcycle safety course again with her so that a professional can teach her to ride. She'll listen to a stranger better than she listens to her husband of 14 years. 

That's a great idea.  I believe a professional course for the new rider (and experienced) is excellent.  Have fun.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Congrates on the T7, I am the same size and weight as you. My T7 suspension went super soft at ~2500km. I went with K-tech valving and springs. Couldn't be happier with my suspension upgrade.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few years, a few lbs, and a couple inches on you, and I too have been riding a TW200 as my only bike for the past several years. On the TW I went with the stiffest rear Procycle had and the emulator+spring kit for the front. That thing rides great now, but I can't wait for my T7 to show up. Curious to know what you end up doing for your suspension.

Got a 20 plate T7 at 6'4'' 220 lbs before you start changing rear shocks  uprate the rear spring  from here, up the compression and rebound damping front and rear a couple clicks to suit back the pre-load off anti clockwise then add 2-5 clicks 

Yamaha T7 Uprated OEM Shock Spring

Edited by Mapbook
  • Like 1