Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

700 Tenere vs WR450F

lobsterbake

Hello,

New member and need help deciding. I have a 15 Valkyrie and a 22 Gold wing Tour DCT and want an off road bike. Looking at the 700 T or the WR450F. Anyone have or had both and can provide feedback?  The only thing that gives me pause on WR is that you have to change oil every 600 miles, initial valve check at 600 and then every 1800 thereafter. The 700 T is much more forgiving on maintenance and I think the engine would last forever with basic maintenance. I am not sure WR would as a slimmed down YZ engine and I am afraid even if don’t abuse it would need at least a top end at 20,000 miles and I am not interested in that at all but love the bike.

I am 6’5” 275 lbs and want something to ride trails and hills but not race or jump 10’ in the air. I hope to get to 240lbs so wonder if I am too heavy for either bike stock. I am intrigued by World Raid version of 700 T, but it’s only in Europe now and not sure if US will get. I don’t mind trailering the WR but must admit street legal is handy but another bike to tag and insure. 

I am much better at buying street bikes lol. Part of me would like a YZ250 for balls to the wall too but I am 54 and self employed so might be too much for me.

Any perspective would be appreciated!

Thanks!

DA7BA324-FC0F-406E-AAC3-D7F0C2B23699.jpeg

Edited by lobsterbake
  • Like 1

Big difference between those two bikes, so the kind of off-road usage you have planned should make a decision much easier.

Lots of single track and technical stuff pretty close to home? WR450F

Exploring much further from home so riding comfort needed to/from the dirt and OK with a heavier but very capable bike once there? T7

It wasn't as hard core a dirt bike as a WR450F, but I sold my DR650 to buy my T7 specifically to do BDRs, etc., including riding to/from them. No way I'd do that on a WR450F, but the T7 excels there.

Good luck with your decision.

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have a wr426f and T7.

One is a offroad monster which should not be driven on road, is uncomfortable and loud, the other one is an adventure bike,

I'm selling the WR426f now... ^^

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with the previous comments. The answer comes down to your specific off-road plans and off road riding ability. If you will mostly be riding extreme or difficult terrain, tight single track, or want to ride fast and aggressive, the WR is the best bike in my opinion. The WR has better stock off road suspension and is much lighter in weight. The T7 is capable on the previously mentioned stuff but you better be salty and know how to ride it.

The T7 kills the WR for fuel range and comfort if you are taking your time on the trail and enjoying the scenery on easy to moderate terrain. The X factor is going to be how much fun the T7 is on the street. Unless you are going to trailer the bike to the trail you will be riding roads. The T7 is an absolute blast on twisty paved roads and back roads in general. I'll bet you will be pleasantly surprised how much fun it is riding a great big dirt bike on the street. As you mentioned the T7 requires less attention for maintenance and upkeep compared to the WR, so that is a T7 win also.

For me the WR is much more one dimensional but great in it's element. The T7 is great over all and has much more of a fun factor. Good luck deciding, it's a great problem to have.

Edited by Alter Ego
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome. I currently have a WR, a T7 and a Super T. I'm a little lighter that you (225lbs + gear) and the same age. Like what was said above, if you want to go fast in the bush and on single track, get the WR. If you want to get to the single track, ride it, and ride home, get the T7. If you want to ride the continent comfortably get the Super T. They each excel in different areas.

For your weight, and what you describe you want to do with it, I would buy the T7, and budget $2500-3000 to add protection and upgrade the suspension, and put GOOD offroad biased tires on it, and  then you WILL have an offroad weapon. You have the weight, and presumably the strength to muscle it around, and will be super happy with it. I've done gnarly trails in the Rockies that I should have been doing on my WR, but I wasn't on it, and the T7 wasn't as nimble, but I got there and back, no problem.

As for WR reliability, a couple of years back I used my WR as a snowbike, in deep powder snow after a couple of years bush riding. 13 day 8-10hr days, at pretty much WOT or nothing for a total bike running time of 240hrs. Changed oil every second day. Figured I should freshen it up with a cam chain and piston set. Pulled it apart, and couldn't tell the difference between the new piston and the old one, other than a little carbon buildup on the crown. Valves were in spec, big end measured in spec, even piston was in spec. Amazing engine, if you ask me. Replaced in on the snow with a YZF450!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• Moderators

@lobsterbake Welcome to the forum.  Excellent advice & perspectives from the four gents above me.  My question is how much dirt experience do you have?  You mentioned not wanting to jump 10' in the air, is that what you've done in the past or something you'd never attempt? Reason being is if you've got a fair amount of dirt riding experience,  the T7 will most likely fit your needs, but in my opinion is not the best platform for a novice dirt rider. The WR still might be a handful for a novice, but is still nearly 200 lbs less than the T7, so if new to the dirt, I'd go with a lighter dirt bike as there is no substitute for lighter weight.  Pol Tarres might disagree, but he's a phenom, not near normal in his abilities and he got his skills from trials riding, i.e. smaller bikes.  As far as reliability of dirt bike engines, 20,000 miles on a dirt bike is quite an accomplishment, so that shouldn't be an issue. 

When friends ask me about the T7, I tell them it's a great dirt road bike and for taking on sedate trails. I have a 270 lb dual sport (Beta 520) for trail riding tougher stuff, so I have the best of both worlds as I have different tools for different jobs. 

Lots of opinions, mine comes from 50+ years of dirt riding experience and I absolutely love the T7 for the conditions I mentioned above, but when hitting more challenging terrain, the T7 stays home.  Best of luck on your decision. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

It has been years since I have ridden trails. 

T7 seven is goldilocks bike. Not exceptional on anything but not bad at anything either. For me T7 is compromise bike so that I can have only one. If I'd have money and space I'd probably have 1250GS and a true dual sport for trails. Like CRF 450L. Low maintenance, light, enough umpf that you don't need so much skill even with more technical stuff. Or If you want ridiculous amount of umpf, then 690 or 701.

Considering you already have a tourer, I'd say T7 might be a bit big and bulky just for trail riding and stuff. Smaller bike will be easier and in my opinion more enjoyable. But if you plan to to ride long distances to go on a trail and you want to go there with slightly more comfortably, the T7 is a excellent compromise. Compared to GW it's not nearly as comfortable but riding couple of hours on a freeway with offroad oriented dualsport is like torture compared to Goldwing. 

• Like 2

I recently traded in WRF450 for a T7. The main reason was practicality.  WRF light, fun, great off road especially on extreme single track but not great on road. T7, brilliant everywhere   autoroute, commute, off road. I would say only get a WRF if you live close to great off road single tracks and don't mind all of the service work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are dual sporting to off road areas close to home and will keep the speed limited to 65mph  I would get a CRF450RL. If traveling further distances or want to go faster than 65mph I would get the T7. 

• Thanks 1

Back in the '00's, I was 6'2" / 235 lbs and rode a KTM RXC 620 dual-sport and a WR450F. At that time, I had a vacation home in the mountains, so I rode the Yamaha from the house straight into the hills.

As others have said, the WR450F is an absolute beast. At my modest level of riding skill, I could never hope to fully use its capabilities, but it was fun trying. My nephew once took a ride on it to show me what it is capable of. He is a former BMX/MX-rider. My jaw dropped when I saw what he could do with it.

By 2015, things had changed. We sold the mountain house. It became a chore to trailer the non-street-legal WR450F to the boonies. I considered converting it to street trim, but that turned out to be a very expensive proposition here in Idaho. Besides, I was getting tired of the high maintenance required on both the KTM and the Yamaha. In addition, parts were starting to get harder to find for these "vintage" bikes. By this time, I had shed weight down to 185 lbs making lighter bikes a more viable option.

I still wanted a long-distance, but dirt-capable bike like the KTM, as well as a nimble dirt bike for the more technical stuff, but it now had to be street legal. I opted for a '21 Tenere 700 and  a '20 WR250R. The T7 is great for the road riding necessary for getting to the dirt and for fire roads and established trails. I am equally impressed with the WR250R in the rougher stuff. It is light and tossable - its 29 HP being completely adequate for my wants & needs, now that my wild dirt riding is behind me. (OK, my dirt riding was never actually very wild).

I agree that it depends on your style of riding and the experience you are looking for. Neither the T7 nor the WR250R (or the WR450F) can do everything I want. I am fortunate to have the resources (and a supportive spouse) to get both.

Edited by Bugs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'21 Tênêrê 700, '20 WR250R, '18 FJR1300

The fact that there's a Highway to Hell and only a Stairway to Heaven should tell you something about anticipated traffic.

Thought I would add my 2 bob's worth.

I had a WR400, then a couple of 450s followed by a WRR250. 

Out of all of them the most enjoyable was the last ( 2008 ) 450. It was a tractor and very forgiving being in the wrong gear.

I rode sweep for many years and the 450s were super reliable provided maintenance was done.

The 2 450s did 10,000km before trading in. I was scrupulous with air filter cleaning ( after every ride ) and only used the best and cleanest fuel.

Oil changes were done after every 2nd or 3rd ride. Bear in mind a ride was often 500km over 2 days.

I only ever checked valve clearances once and on both 450s they were still in spec at 10,000km.

The 250 was a bit of a fill in. I was never happy with the power, suspension or what appeared to be a short nervous wheel base. I got rid of it after it broke my leg and gave me a rescue helicopter ride!

Pity Yamaha don't do a 450R as the extra legs would make it an awesome bike.

Long and the short, if you are prepared to keep the air filter clean and change the oil regularly the 450 will be an awesome ride.

chopper rider.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.