Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Creeping back towards stock…

Larson627

Anyone else get overly excited about their new bike and start throwing spaghetti at the wall customizing it?? I was convinced I hated the blue/black stock trim and had a pile of parts ordered before I took delivery of the bike. The more I’ve ridden it and gotten a feel for it’s personality, the more I realized I had it dressed in the wrong outfit, more or less. 

Went full Moto inspiration literally the day I brought it home. Knew I had made a mistake the first time I rode it, it’s simply not an oversized MX bike. Suddenly looked faster and more nimble than it actually was. 

CB38C29C-4939-4A08-BDA7-F464D4EDF2FB.jpeg.48887a771dc3efe31fad07ece8d34f07.jpeg

So after some fun ice riding antics over the winter spring came and I slapped some much tamer Tusk D Sport tires on it which helped it tremendously both and and off road somehow (first set was just too soft I think, tires were giving up under the weight of the bike) I also quickly realized that though the supermoto front fender looks great, the stock fender simply worked better, so back on it went. I did recently pack it full of mud though, so turns out thats not just a myth to justify the hi fender aesthetic. Probably going back to a high fender for the dry commuting season. 

E547B259-1677-4AB3-9463-F605E4BDBE28.jpeg.a9d6b273560232138b782cd7b48116a9.jpeg

I put the crash bars to use a few times and bent them all to hell, but just overall didn’t like how they looked, might just be the textured finish, but they make the bike look even more heavy and cumbersome than it already is. So I ditched them too. As for the graphic kit, once I installed it I immediately felt like it wasn’t really an improvement aesthetically, just different. Found that it felt a little too loud for commuting, I always prefer a stealthier look for whatever reason. What’s worse, I installed it over the winter months and then it sat in my garage and released itself from the edges and collected dust on the adhesive, so it ended up looking pretty rough up close anyway. After drooling over pics of more stock looking bikes for the past few weeks I decided I needed a clean slate, so they all came off. I wrapped the tank with some black vinyl that a buddy had laying around, and now at first glance she almost looks stock again. 

FD116DF7-DAF3-4FBA-84BD-9C48C9C55A93.jpeg.e590f37738d44e82db275decefefc0b6.jpeg

Not sure where I’m going from here cosmetically, but I will at least say the mechanical upgrades have all been worthwhile! Focusing on protection next, since two whole rides wearing moto boots has taken a considerable amount of paint and shine off of her already. Time for the 600 mile oil change, what a ride it’s already been! 

TL;DR - Just go ride your damn bike before you decide everything that you need to change, they really are brilliant bikes right off the showroom floor! 

Edited by Larson627
  • Like 8

I always liked the stock look. All these loud racing graphics does not suit this bike in my opinion. I wanted to put on the graphics for protection and improving the look, but can't find anything that wasn't to racing... Only one i might consider fitting is the one from Brake Magazine shop called wilderness and i would go for dark special edition version.

In regards to crashbars - i always hated them, but with Tenere with those regular road bike plastic ferrings i's a must, unless you are alright spending money on replacing ferrings... i had to replace two of hem on 5th day of ownership 🙂

And crashbars did safe them last time

275849211_331353462185345_4617530063650496432_n.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bartek said:

I always liked the stock look. All these loud racing graphics does not suit this bike in my opinion. I wanted to put on the graphics for protection and improving the look, but can't find anything that wasn't to racing... Only one i might consider fitting is the one from Brake Magazine shop called wilderness and i would go for dark special edition version.

In regards to crashbars - i always hated them, but with Tenere with those regular road bike plastic ferrings i's a must, unless you are alright spending money on replacing ferrings... i had to replace two of hem on 5th day of ownership 🙂

And crashbars did safe them last time

275849211_331353462185345_4617530063650496432_n.jpg

Agreed on all points! I have the templates to design a custom graphic, looking to come up with something OEMish but that offers better protection. If I do get around to it I will gladly share the final product and offer an extra set to anyone that wants them. I will be replacing the crash bars, but I’d like to upgrade to a better set. I definitely need them, I’m not easy on equipment! I destroyed the right side fairing and mounts the first time I took it off road, so I’ve certainly learned the value of the crash bars the hard way! 

• Like 1

I'm my own bandwagon.  As light or lighter than stock.  10 lbs off, maybe 10 lbs on.

T7.jpg

Edited by BADDANDY
  • Like 3
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

Agreed on the preferred understated stock look. Extent of  my “graphics kit” has been the over priced stickers that come with all the bolt on upgrades.  Some people hate those. I don’t mind advertising a bit of quality product that i can actually vouch for.  Custom graphics kit never once made the list of interests.

Other crash bar bonus I’ve noticed is they’re good for mounting  small bags that spread the load around & then keep this narrow bike from laying pancake flat.  Easier for my skinny ass to pick up that way. So far the 6ltr kriega bags have survived the few low speed drops they’ve been under.  Not sure how they’d fair at speed, nor am i keen to find out.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BADDANDY said:

I'm my own bandwagon.  As light or lighter than stock.  10 lbs off, maybe 10 lbs on.

T7.jpg

Looks great!! I dig that graphic kit. I think the white high fender looks just right on these bikes, especially on the red/white bikes. 

Edited by Larson627

23 hours ago, Larson627 said:

Looks great!! I dig that graphic kit. I think the white high fender looks just right on these bikes, especially on the red/white bikes. 

I kept going back n forth Red or White fender and handguards.  Red seat would block out the black mid-section.

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

Alright, so after some sense being talked back into me here, I put the crash bars back on. 

Also took another attempt tonight at a high fender, this time with a Polisport full size universal fit. Install was a breeze just like their supermoto fender. I’m really picky about aesthetics, and I think a lot of full size fenders look dorky on these bikes for some reason, but we’ll see how she looks in the day. Last time I rode it offroad I actually did have the low fender packed solid full of mud, so I guess the justification is legit. Hoping this one catches the spray off the front tire better. Might be a winner!

C06C9C4E-3273-4350-932E-B78F2870FBD2.jpeg.3008558231e03fd3df07acf84bf4450a.jpeg

Edited by Larson627
  • Like 4

I know from experience that front fender will work a lot better than the SUMO front fender.

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

Every so often I think i should strip the bike back to stock, but I really like having the ability to use it for touring and grocery getting. So the bags remain. I couldn't stand the bare white on the tank, so during an alcohol fueled Saturday night shopping spree, I found some tank graphics I liked.

spacer.png

How the bike currently looks;

spacer.png

Bumot bags, Adventure Spec bars, Camel ADV rear rack, Camel ADv fender kit with YZ fender, and AXP skid plate.

• Like 2

Mine it's a ceramic Ice too. Looks fine as It is as well. In fact black, blue and grey are my favorites colours.

• Like 1

Ok so it is not back to stock by any means, but much more balanced for every day use, and less attention getting. It is great for commuting with this set up, but still ready for a little off road action should I get a wild hair. I absolutely love this bike. I think I will add a very subtle, OEM looking set of speed blocks, but not much else. The blue and black has really, really grown on me since I first picked it up! I guess I was kidding myself when I made this post, I can't leave anything alone! 

Tenere.jpeg

Edited by Larson627
  • Like 6

I don't do stock, i like the optical personalised and other parts upgraded to my own needs/wants.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Alright so I have more regression happening, but there are reasons behind my madness I swear. I am 6'6", but I put the stock seat back on this weekend out of curiosity. I have been riding motorcycles for my entire life, and yet with the tall seat on this already very tall bike, I was finding my center of gravity too high while commuting, making for surprisingly awkward stops in traffic, and the occasional awkward low speed turn. Keep in mind that I have very long legs, and can stand off of the seat flat footed with this set up easily. I think with the heavier springs, taller seat, and the already high COG, combined with my 220lbs up high on the bike, I was pushing the limit a bit. 

SO anyway, I put the stock seat back in and immediately felt more "in" the bike and less on it. Brought it right back to a more adventure bike stance from my early "big dirtbike" ambitions. I do immediately miss the legroom of the tall seat, but I am not sure which is actually more comfortable yet. I will certainly run the tall seat for any off road riding I do, but I might go back and forth for commuting/longer road rides. 

For my next trick, I will be putting the stock tires back on for a three-day trip around New England this weekend. 😅

4 hours ago, Larson627 said:

Alright so I have more regression happening, but there are reasons behind my madness I swear. I am 6'6", but I put the stock seat back on this weekend out of curiosity. I have been riding motorcycles for my entire life, and yet with the tall seat on this already very tall bike, I was finding my center of gravity too high while commuting, making for surprisingly awkward stops in traffic, and the occasional awkward low speed turn. Keep in mind that I have very long legs, and can stand off of the seat flat footed with this set up easily. I think with the heavier springs, taller seat, and the already high COG, combined with my 220lbs up high on the bike, I was pushing the limit a bit. 

SO anyway, I put the stock seat back in and immediately felt more "in" the bike and less on it. Brought it right back to a more adventure bike stance from my early "big dirtbike" ambitions. I do immediately miss the legroom of the tall seat, but I am not sure which is actually more comfortable yet. I will certainly run the tall seat for any off road riding I do, but I might go back and forth for commuting/longer road rides. 

For my next trick, I will be putting the stock tires back on for a three-day trip around New England this weekend. 😅

You can install a set of lower pegs, should help with the leg room.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm made a lot of mods, spent a lot of bucks, and added probably 12kg to the bike, but I can't think of one that wasn't for a good practical reason, and usually with an eye to safety.  The last major expense was a scotts damper, but in my mind it only has to save my arse once to pay for itself, and along the way I get steering that's a lot easier to control.

1486624465_T7farm.jpg.7f97c23161113897de1c022426825314.jpg

On 8/16/2022 at 3:21 AM, beakster said:

You can install a set of lower pegs, should help with the leg room.

Leg room lol, This is the first bike I have ridden that actually has any!  I jump on my rr and my knees are under my armpits, I sit on the T7 and it feels like I'm in a lounge chair.  It's all relative I guess...  I do remember doing a full days ride a few years back on the hayabusa sport tourer, and by the end of that I had to stop every half an hour to stretch my knees out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, winddown said:

Leg room lol, This is the first bike I have ridden that actually has any!  I jump on my rr and my knees are under my armpits, I sit on the T7 and it feels like I'm in a lounge chair.  It's all relative I guess...  I do remember doing a full days ride a few years back on the hayabusa sport tourer, and by the end of that I had to stop every half an hour to stretch my knees out.

Old knees and a 35” inseam require legroom.  I installed 15mm lower SW Motech Ion foot pegs and the Yamaha 41mm taller rally seat = leg room.

• Like 1