Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Top 10 tools for road trip ( on-road)

Aleksandar13

In another thread I've mentioned my trip to Montenegro next year and I would like to know what tools you think are a must on a trip like mine. 5 days each way with the t7. What is the extend of repairs you are going to do on the road in case something goes wrong.

I'm currently considering making a list of tools for the t7 and starting to put together or buy one that has most items required. 

Should be an interesting thread with a lot to learn from..

Look forward to seeing what people carry on their bikes. 

Aleks

• Like 1

For long distance trips I always take spare tubes, spare clutch and brake lever. Tools for demounting front and rear wheel, tools for changing tube manually in case of puncture. Lubricant for chain, chain buckle in case of breaking the drive chain. There is always something more to take.

Edited by slawmir
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Aleksandar13 said:

In another thread I've mentioned my trip to Montenegro next year and I would like to know what tools you think are a must on a trip like mine. 5 days each way with the t7. What is the extend of repairs you are going to do on the road in case something goes wrong.

I'm currently considering making a list of tools for the t7 and starting to put together or buy one that has most items required. 

Should be an interesting thread with a lot to learn from..

Look forward to seeing what people carry on their bikes. 

Aleks

Good question and thread , what size spanners are required for removing the front and rear wheel?

8 hours ago, T700 said:

Good question and thread , what size spanners are required for removing the front and rear wheel?

Front wheel- hex key 19 mm, wrench 10mm

Rear wheel- socket wrench 27mm

Drive chain tensioner- wrench 10mm, 12mm

Edited by slawmir
  • Like 5

Not all tools, but I posted this in an earlier thread when someone asked.

Cheers

Rich

Spare HD 21" and 18" tubes. a 21" can be made to fit both if you're tight on space, but I'd take both

A centre stand - much easier if you get a puncture and to lube and tighten the chain

Good tyre levers. You can buy lightweight ones with a 27" ring spanner on the end for the rear wheel

A hex adaptor to allow a ring spanner/socket to get the front wheel out

Aluminium wrap around bars. You will then not snap a lever unless you're very unlucky

Just check all key nuts/bolts for relevant allen keys/spanners etc

adjustable spanner

loads of tie wraps and duct tape

a cheap electric tyre pump (they look rubbish but are really good) or CO2 cartridges

spare clutch cable

spare brake pads especially if muddy/gritty

engine case protection. See R&G

engine guards - plenty of choice now

HD sump guard - I've had some massive gouges out of mine already. I think the OEM would have been toast

Rally seat - much more comfortable and more tool storage

Camel-back with at least 3 litres of water

• Like 5

I personally would get a center stand, but if you don't I would recommend a SnapJack

Used on my old shadow and my friend's dirt bike. Quite handy but just be careful or it will pinch like mad LOL

Edited by TimmyTheHog

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

Hello everyone,

I'm quite new here I'm taking the same set of tools which I had on my trip to India on CB500X and just changed the wrench/socket sizes.

I've upgraded tenere to tubeless but I still take 21" tube with me for emergency, small compressor and plug kit.

In terms of stand, I don't have center stand but I made home made trail stand:

What is in my tool roll:

Zyklop Speed Ratchet Set, 1/4" drive
https://products.wera.de/en/zyklop_ratchets_and_accessories_the_zyklop_ratchets_the_zyklop_ratchets_1_4_the_zyklop_speed_ratchet_1_4_8100_sa_6.html

I just took what I need from the set:

Allen: 3, 4, 5, 6

Torx:TX 27,25,30,40

1 flat and 2x phillips PH1x50 PH3x50

14,10,12 wrenches

7,8,10,12,17,14 sockets & socket bar (for 17,14)

spoke wrench

tweezers

sparkplug socket

I have locktite, copper grease, silicon grease.

I have JBWeld, super glue, Pattex 100%

I have spare fuses

I have seal mate to clean fork seals

I have spare chain link

I have side stand killswitch override

https://t7rally.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Ft7-tenere-700-sidestand-switch-delete-bypass-plug

I have tyre levers, ine of them has 27mm socket to take rear wheel off. I made 19hex to 27 nut conversion take front wheel off:

--
https://farandfurther.org
https://instagram.com/farandfurther
https://facebook.com/farandfurther

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

• 8 months later...
On 12/4/2019 at 8:06 PM, TimmyTheHog said:

I personally would get a center stand, but if you don't I would recommend a SnapJack

Used on my old shadow and my friend's dirt bike. Quite handy but just be careful or it will pinch like mad LOL

That is awesome, I can’t seem to find an equivalent in the UK, anyone else find something similar?

If sourcing one fails, looks like I’ll be trying to make one like FAR&FURTHER! Ps love your videos, thanks for the channel 👍

Edited by Rowling_Thunder

• 9 months later...

Do people carry these tools and spare tubes on their every day commute?

I have slime in my tyres plus road side assistance so just wondering if its still worth carrying all this stuff for normal journeys?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm getting my toolkit together as it is difficult to overstate how inadequate the standard Yamaha kit is for any sort of ride away from home. I've dropped a bundle of cash at Eastbound for their T7 kit, tyre levers and light weight tools. I was surprised that their prices for some of the generic items are cheaper than I can get here in Australia so the order grew quickly. I just need to add Allen keys and Torx, small pliers plus zip ties, duct tape and fuses and wrap it all up in my Kriega tool roll. I'm hoping it will weight less than a kilo but we will see.

If I could only bring 10 tools and considering the ride will only be one day total, out and back and not a world tour, then...

-I would bring the kit that comes with the bike and I would count this as one item.  It contains things you will need and use.

-Small adjustable wrench.

-Multi tool such as a Leatherman.

-Slime air pump.

-Lift stick.

-Air pressure gauge.

-Lighter.

-GPS of some sort with topo maps installed.  Or at least a back roads map of the area I'm in.

-Toilet paper.  The most important tool depending on the situation.

-Tow strap.

If you need tire repair tools, make a kit just for that and include repair parts in the kit...

In addition to the above mentioned.

-3 short tire irons.

-Ratchet wrench with sockets to fit the axle / axle nut.

-Spare tube that fits the front tire as it can be used for the rear as well.

-Rubber tube patch kit.

-MotionPro valve stem retrieval tool.

-Electrician's tape.

-Small amount of grease.

Did I miss anything?  

• Like 1