Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tire pump blows fuse

Jellebo

Hi fellas and fellarettes! I recently bought a Baseus tire pump, with an auxillary jack style plug. I figured it would run fine on any cigarette lighter socket, but when I connect it to my scooter, it blows the fuse. That fuse is rated 2A, the same as the Tenere aux jack port. I'm a bit disappointed with this, because nowhere do Baseus specify amps or watts, only 12v DC.
Anyway, question is: can I cut off the cigarette lighter plug on the pump, and connect it directly to the battery, with a ~5A fuse in the mix?
(should be said that I haven't recieved my T7 yet, so just going by what I read in the manual)

88405651dc8daee37a41bd0fd06312f8.jpg.24a255d350e560d8811559386dbe4da4.jpg

Edited by Jellebo

The bikes 2A fuse trips? 
the pump will be way more than 2A. You shouldn’t update a fuse on a circuit unless you know the circuit, cable rating, and other parts connected in case it turns the cable into a heater wire. 
you should be fine connecting a car shop cigarette lighter connector to the battery on its own with an inline fuse. Use the smallest fuse that won’t blow. Just increase it until one works.  
on the t7 you could add this type off connector in the spare slot, again making sure the circuit can take it, battery or aux supply (fused)

• Like 2

I connected an optimate charging cable to the battery and changed the connection to my pump from a sigaret lighter plug to an Optimate connection also. So now I have a power outlet and charging connector available all the time. There is a 10 amp fuse in the + wire.

So on the road I can use it to connect the pump and at home I can plug in the optimate.

Works great!

16005.jpg.6b77faba7b22f9c730bb06a50a59d29d.jpg

Edited by Chris1974
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Dougie said:

The bikes 2A fuse trips? 
the pump will be way more than 2A. You shouldn’t update a fuse on a circuit unless you know the circuit, cable rating, and other parts connected in case it turns the cable into a heater wire. 
you should be fine connecting a car shop cigarette lighter connector to the battery on its own with an inline fuse. Use the smallest fuse that won’t blow. Just increase it until one works.  
on the t7 you could add this type off connector in the spare slot, again making sure the circuit can take it, battery or aux supply (fused)

Oh no, I wasn't going to install a higher amp fuse on the bike. I would put one in-line, between battery and pump. I just took out the fuse inside the aux plug of the pump, and it says 15A. Good idea to find out the smallest fuse I can get away with!

11 minutes ago, Chris1974 said:

I connected an optimate charging cable to the battery and changed the connection to my pump from a sigaret lighter plug to an Optimate connection also. So now I have a power outlet and charging connector available all the time. There is a 10 amp fuse in the + wire.

So on the road I can use it to connect the pump and at home I can plug in the optimate.

Works great!

Yes, this is exactly what I have in mind. Great idea with the optimate plugs!! I'll see if I can find something like this here in Vietnam.

Edited by Jellebo
  • Like 1

You probably know but it’s called an SAE connector 

I’ve done this also for a small tyre compressor I have and a trickle charger 

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

Problem sorted. I use optimate , so I’m going to sort a plug in adapter too now. Nice one guys. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris1974 said:

Works great!

I have the same only no Optimate but i use it for my pump with the 10A fuse.
Just keep the bike running wile using the pump.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 6:43 PM, Lewie said:

You probably know but it’s called an SAE connector 

I’ve done this also for a small tyre compressor I have and a trickle charger 

Thanks, Lewie. I just checked my charger and it has a different connector. But I should be able to find this one too. Cheers!