Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Weird "whining" noise

Nighthawk

Question

Lately my bike has been making a weird sound. Hard to describe but somewhere between a turbo spinning, a machine milling and high pitched drilling. Appears from 40km/t, both with clutch engaged and not.  Im wondering if it could be the chain roller, because its sounds like it's coming from that "region". 

Any suggestions?

Edited by Nighthawk
Forgot the clutch part

22 answers to this question

Have the same issue. I think of a resonating frequency at 70 km/h and the double speed coming from the tyre. The whining noise is while accelerating or coasting, while rolling with or without braking - just hitting curves the noise is gone. Going straight the noise comes back. The wheel bearings where changed with no effect. So my conclusion so far: new tyres!

maybe someone else has sorted out this problem?

best regards from germany 

1 minute ago, springer said:

Have the same issue. I think of a resonating frequency at 70 km/h and the double speed coming from the tyre. The whining noise is while accelerating or coasting, while rolling with or without braking - just hitting curves the noise is gone. Going straight the noise comes back. The wheel bearings where changed with no effect. So my conclusion so far: new tyres!

maybe someone else has sorted out this problem?

best regards from germany 

Thanks for the reply. 

Today I discovered another sound after lubing the chain roller, when trying to fix this I adjusted the chain slack, think it was a bit to tight. Anyhow, this removed the sound! My suspicion is that the tight chain put pressure on the roller, witch in turn made the weird sound. 

Hope you figure out your sound.  

Best regards from Norway

• Thanks 1

Hi, I have the same kind of rhythmic whining noise around 60-70km/h and then again at exactly 105km/h or more. If I go faster it becomes a higher frequency continuous whine but decrease in decibels. I am sure it is related to my tyres. I have the standard scorpion-rally-str tyres. If you move you body forward from your normal sitting position to lean over the tank you only hear engine noise. 

This noise is so irritating that I either sit at 105Km/h all the time and just do short stints of fast driving. If the cause is the specific brand of tyres then their marketing claim that it is the best for both on and off-road is really false.
I am going to experiment with pressure next. Anyone else with the same symptoms?

regards Wil

Or Ear plugs....

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Quick update: The noise is caused by a combination of things. Much of the noise is caused by buffeting.

I removed my front windscreen and went for a test ride and the noise is better but of course it is no solution yet.

On 7/11/2022 at 7:29 PM, Will said:

Hi, I have the same kind of rhythmic whining noise around 60-70km/h and then again at exactly 105km/h or more. If I go faster it becomes a higher frequency continuous whine but decrease in decibels. I am sure it is related to my tyres. I have the standard scorpion-rally-str tyres. If you move you body forward from your normal sitting position to lean over the tank you only hear engine noise. 

This noise is so irritating that I either sit at 105Km/h all the time and just do short stints of fast driving. If the cause is the specific brand of tyres then their marketing claim that it is the best for both on and off-road is really false.
I am going to experiment with pressure next. Anyone else with the same symptoms?

regards Wil

In my case changing the tyre pressure was no solution to the problem. A tyre change is on schedule for the next weekend, hoping to stop this annoying noise 

• Thanks 1

Turns out my chain was a bit tight. 

I also changed the rollers. This made the bike a lot quieter when cruising in 40/50 km/h

On 11.07.2022 at 20:29, Will said:

Merhaba, bende de aynı tür ritmik sızlanma sesi 60-70km/s civarında ve sonra yine tam olarak 105km/s veya üzerinde. Daha hızlı gidersem, daha yüksek frekanslı sürekli bir sızlanma olur, ancak desibelde azalır. Lastiklerimle ilgili olduğundan eminim. Standart akrep-ralli-str lastiklerim var. Tankın üzerine eğilmek için vücudunuzu normal oturma pozisyonundan öne doğru hareket ettirirseniz sadece motor sesini duyarsınız. 

Bu ses o kadar rahatsız edici ki ya sürekli 105Km/s'de oturuyorum ve kısa süreliğine hızlı sürüş yapıyorum. Sebep, belirli bir lastik markasıysa, pazarlamacılarının hem yolda hem de arazide en iyisi olduğu iddiası gerçekten yanlıştır.
Bundan sonra basınçla deney yapacağım. Aynı semptomları olan başka biri var mı?

Wil'e saygılar

There is a same problem my 2021 T7 

absolutly prelli scorpion rally str Tire make this voice 

Between 50 km - 125 km very noisely

Hava u got a another Tire ?

12 hours ago, Ender said:

There is a same problem my 2021 T7 

absolutly prelli scorpion rally str Tire make this voice 

Between 50 km - 125 km very noisely

Hava u got a another Tire ?

I have tkc70. I'm starting to think that the noise is just the front sprocket and chain. Seems like a lot of people complain about this on the T7

I have a T7 of 2022, just going through an engine run-in, the noise immediately appeared on the first kilometers, this is all at a speed of 55-65 km/h. I am 100% sure that these are new tires.

On 7/15/2022 at 11:03 PM, springer said:

In my case changing the tyre pressure was no solution to the problem. A tyre change is on schedule for the next weekend, hoping to stop this annoying noise 

Have you managed to solve the problem, I'm in a same boat. 

11 minutes ago, lakiozoon said:

Look at tyres. I use Pirelli Scorpion Rally ( not STR ) on the front and Motoz Rallz on the rear. Around town the buzz is pretty ordinary. It was the same when I had the F800GS with the Pirelli on the front.

Live with it.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

@Rider 101 I found the Rallz 140 80/18 tube type on a 2.5 inch rear rim (Woody's Wheelworks build) just barely grazed the front of the swingarm at a certain point in the suspension travel. Not when the bike was stationary on the sidestand, but at some other point in the travel.

I thought the noise was from the chain or the lower chain roller until I noticed the flap that hangs down behind the shock and over the swingarm was frayed. I can't remember whether the 150 Rallz I had on the OEM rim also touched the swingarm because I didn't have it on for very long and that was in 2020 and I simply can't remember!

You, or others running a Rallz (fantastic tire btw), might want to check whether there's any evidence of the Rallz contacting that plastic flap if you're getting a weird sound/vibration from that part of the bike. I switched to a Tractionator Adventure as I think the knobs are a bit shorter.

• Like 1

I found the chain tension was a large contributor, i run it 2mm slacker than recommended also the OEM tyres are noisy, Avon trail riders have helped.

Is there an alternative chain roller that improves this?

It only bothers me when coasting around 70 kph, then I start hearing the pulsating whine. As someone mentioned, it stops when leaned, so I suppose it can only be the tires. 

Though, on my friends tenere I don't hear it as much. Weird. 

P. S. 

Found this video, I got the exact same whine best heard around 1:15. Guess I have to live with it. 

Edited by lakiozoon
Addition

19 hours ago, lakiozoon said:

Hi, not yet, because the tyre change is still on schedule - I can tell that 1000 km later the tyre noise is still the same and still annoying.

Best wishes for 2023!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, springer said:

Hi, not yet, because the tyre change is still on schedule - I can tell that 1000 km later the tyre noise is still the same and still annoying.

Best wishes for 2023!

Actually, now that I know what is the source of the noise, I won't be worried much about it. The noise appears in conditions I'm rarely in (sitting straight on tarmac @ 70 kph) so it's tolerable.

Yes, the noise can be somwhat annoying but the tires fit my needs perfectly and I'm quite satisfied with them.

Best of luck in 2023!

Edited by lakiozoon