Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Front fork leaking oil

ahamay

Question

I have found leaking fork oil on both sides. I removed the protective shrouds and found a gummy spooge smeared in spots. Only on front of the inner tubes of the fork. This was not something biological like splattered bugs, or birds. Or dirt or mud or tar. The shrouds protect that very well.

Definitely synthetic. I am assuming internal seals degrading and being deposited. Equal amounts, in similar locations of both forks. 

Bike is 2021 with 8500 miles. North American bike, it was in first shipment to NA. Engine ser.# ending 350.

Anyone else had to go through the front forks yet? I have a chum who has 10k miles on his and had same issue, i.e. leaking juice.

7 answers to this question

7,000 miles here, and no issues...

Did you ride in that smeary sticky/clay mud that gums up everything?

Wipe the forks off and see how much leaks the next ride, what you describe does not sound too bad.

Some guys like this:

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I replaced mine at 16,000 miles  when I installed new springs, still ok then. Likely picked up some dirt debris causing leak, try cleaning the seal first. 

This issue is positively not sticky mud or gumbo. I have not ridden in that stuff. This is stuff stuck to the chromed inner tube, not dirt.  This material took a lot of solvent (I used Goof Off adhesive remover) and elbow grease to remove. Much worse than tar or tree sap. The symmetrical and synthetic nature of the deposit of it makes me think it has to have an internal source.

I am having them rebuilt, not using factory seals and will report back. Am having a non dealership shop go through the internals and replace sealing parts.. Mechanic says they will use SKF seals.

To prevent seal damage i have these fitted.
IMG_20220206_161246.jpg.ac0b89603800bdb0cb05caa823816d91.jpg

• Like 2

It's probably just a tiny bit of dirt in there and that's all it takes to make them leak on occasion.  Clean them up real well, then use a seal blade to clean out the scunge.  It worked for me and they have not leaked since.  

• Like 1

If you are having them rebuilt its a good time to install better springs.

• Like 1

Blew my right fork seal on a recent 6 day north Vancouver Island adventure trip. 

Having my mechanic replace both.  Will see what he discovers.