Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Which Helmet type?

JB700

Which type of helmet do you ride in?
Peaked enduro style or normal full face?
I am using an Arai Tour X4 and the vibes & resonance from the peak are driving me nuts, even trying many different screen options and spoilers

I have an xlite 551 with visor and peak and a jhc fullface no peak. I dont notice differences between the helmets. It more or less due to speed, wind, wind direction. But with my 1.90 m and rally seat, i found the turbulences not to bad.

I use an Arai VX Pr0 4. Wind noise is a bit high so I use ear plugs.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

The Arai Tour X4 is a noisy helmet and bad in cold wet conditions but i like it when it's hot.

Yesterday i picked up my new Nolan N70-2 X to replace my Nolan N104. First impressions are good but time will see.

• Like 1

I use two. A Mx type Airoh, It's a very light helmet.  A modular type AGV helmet. I use them depending on the weather or the route I ride. 

Easy fix, get Madstad screen with adjustable brackets, turbulence gone.😃 You can thank me later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have an Arai Tour X4 and don’t have any issues with the visor or noise. Though I do have a Shoei Ex-Zero that tries to rip itself off my head above 50mph. Maybe my comparison makes it feel better. Now all I need was s a good speaker system. Any suggestions for the Arai?

• Like 1

got a scorpion adx-1  and a oneal sierra II 

both noisy. scorpion is an modular one.  witch is nice and all but it more road oriented.

oneal sierra II is an enduro helmet with visor.  i always have it up and use goggles as its a nice open helmet with loads of air.

even in the winter i tend to ride with the oneal one as i like the feel of having head space. 

yes even with my head in that helmet 😛

i would not go for a modular helmet soon again.  and against cold you can dress. heat on the other hand is a lot more difficult.

would give you the advice to test a few helmets out and keep in mind what your planning to do.

don't kid your self as if you plan off-road like more advanced trails you want air.

asphalt is like what ever you think is nice and protects well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CoreCass said:

if you plan off-road like more advanced trails you want air

Truer words were never spoken!

• Thanks 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I switch back and forth between helmets and windscreens. I have a Scorpion EXO-R1 (about which I will sing praises until I'm blue) and an Arai XD-4. With the OEM windscreen the buffeting with the Scorp is not great, but damn near unbearable with the XD4. I also have the medium height V-Stream windscreen and there's basically no buffeting with the Scorpion with that mounted, and the Arai is very much doable too, especially below 80 mph. 

It was always my impression that the buffeting was caused by wind coming around the sides of the OEM windscreen, which is tapered, and that is why I didn't buy those adjuster arms for the OEM windscreen and bought a wider windscreen instead. It's only slightly taller but much wider at the top. I swap the OEM back on if I'm doing a lot of offroading and it's gonna be really hot, the extra air on my chest makes a huge difference. 

Amen to the tour x4 being bloody noisy. I feel like I’m slipstreaming a jet on take off sometimes. I love arai, but next time I’ll get a normal road arai, no peak, and a cheap dirt bike helmet too. 

9 hours ago, JB700 said:
Which type of helmet do you ride in?
Peaked enduro style or normal full face?
I am using an Arai Tour X4 and the vibes & resonance from the peak are driving me nuts, even trying many different screen options and spoilers

I owned an original XD and then an XD4 (same in the U.S. as your Tour XD, I believe), and had the same resonance/vibration issue with the peak. After a bit of experimentation, my solution on both helmets was an ounce or so of self-adhesive wheel weight placed under the center front of the peak. That dampened the resonance/vibes there, and no more issues for the five years I wore each of those helmets on a variety of motorcycles. 

• Like 2