Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

OBD2 scan tool

ADVUSA

That one will work OK on the T7.  It's similar to the one I have that I haven't used yet.  And it's inexpensive too.  

• Like 1

Why do you want to move away from bluetooth scan tools? I have both types and find the bluetooth ones more useful on cars. 

Even though I have the adapter, I haven't used either on the T7.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

Why do you want to move away from bluetooth scan tools? I have both types and find the bluetooth ones more useful on cars. 

Even though I have the adapter, I haven't used either on the T7.

My bike was about over heating last time I tried BlueDriver, connection problems, it did work before once on the car, not sure if it ever worked right on the bike and I tried a couple times. Not reliable.

45 minutes ago, ADVUSA said:

My bike was about over heating last time I tried BlueDriver, connection problems, it did work before once on the car, not sure if it ever worked right on the bike and I tried a couple times. Not reliable.

Interesting, I have never use BlueDriver.  My experience using a cheap BAFX reader and Torque app on my phone has been quite reliable and has worked when stand alone OBDII tools did not.

When I get around to using it one the T7 I will try to remember to report back on how it does.

• Like 2

Someone else recommended to ditch my Bluetooth scan code  app and go direct so that’s 2 votes now on my side.

23 hours ago, ADVUSA said:

My bike was about over heating last time I tried BlueDriver

Aren't you supposed to use an OBD reader with the key on, engine off? Why was your bike overheating?

I just used my Bluetooth OBD2 scanner with the Torque app and it worked great.  It read codes, cleared them and all gages appeared to be accurate when running. 

It's an inexpensive solution that just plain works. 

On 6/12/2022 at 12:08 PM, Hollybrook said:

Interesting, I have never use BlueDriver.  My experience using a cheap BAFX reader and Torque app on my phone has been quite reliable and has worked when stand alone OBDII tools did not.

When I get around to using it one the T7 I will try to remember to report back on how it does.

I've got the same set up and it works perfectly. Can't imaging using an old school OBDII device again.

On 6/12/2022 at 5:32 PM, ADVUSA said:

Someone else recommended to ditch my Bluetooth scan code  app and go direct so that’s 2 votes now on my side.

Ditch BlueDriver, for sure.  Hot garbage.

Torque ODB however is MASSIVELY better than the handheld tools (which basically are just code readers, which is only a tiny fraction of the functionality Torque presents).  I simp for ScanTool's LX and MX+ modules here: 

lxbt_obdlink_main_1.png

OBDLink LX Bluetooth will turn your Android or Windows device into a trip computer & real-time performance monitor. Includes the free OBDLink app for Android.

Because these can be safely left connected and are more reliable than the very cheap blue ones from Amazon, but those blue ones work fine.  Regardless, you want to use Torque to communicate with the module.  Or OBDLink, it's fine too I guess, but Torque is just by a huge distance the superior app.  I've never seen a handheld too - at least not one for less than several hundred dollars - that comes anywhere close to Torque.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2022 at 6:52 PM, Wintersdark said:

Torque ODB however is MASSIVELY better than the handheld tools (which basically are just code readers, which is only a tiny fraction of the functionality Torque presents).  I simp for ScanTool's LX and MX+ modules here: 

lxbt_obdlink_main_1.png

OBDLink LX Bluetooth will turn your Android or Windows device into a trip computer & real-time performance monitor. Includes the free OBDLink app for Android.

Because these can be safely left connected and are more reliable than the very cheap blue ones from Amazon, but those blue ones work fine.  Regardless, you want to use Torque to communicate with the module.  Or OBDLink, it's fine too I guess, but Torque is just by a huge distance the superior app.  I've never seen a handheld too - at least not one for less than several hundred dollars - that comes anywhere close to Torque.

Did you get this thru this site or you got the one from Amazon that is similar?

I am debating where to order this from and figure you are also in Canada, curious on the shipping/price

4 hours ago, TimmyTheHog said:

Did you get this thru this site or you got the one from Amazon that is similar?

I am debating where to order this from and figure you are also in Canada, curious on the shipping/price

I ordered from Amazon, but was careful to get an actual ScanTool module: 

That ends up being $115CAD, 1 day shipping with prime.  Ends up being very comparable in price, maybe a bit cheaper depending on shipping costs from the manufacturer directly ($89.99 USD).  

The similar modules are usually all variants of the little blue ELM327 modules in various packaging.  They (usually) work just fine, but you can't leave them connected or they'll drain your battery. Normally, I've no objection to the cheap chinese versions, but I've had mixed results with those - some just DOA, and of course the battery draining thing.  So for me, it was worth getting the quality one, and I've never regretted it - works on all my bikes, and cars.  

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 9:52 PM, Wintersdark said:

lxbt_obdlink_main_1.png

When you have an opportunity can you provide snapshots of the benefits of running Torque with OBDLink LX?  I'm interested to see in what vehicle statistics this is really providing benefit. The benefit to moving to this are not clear.

8 hours ago, ADVUSA said:

When you have an opportunity can you provide snapshots of the benefits of running Torque with OBDLink LX?  I'm interested to see in what vehicle statistics this is really providing benefit. The benefit to moving to this are not clear.

Realtime monitoring of ALL engine data, combined with the data your phone can gather.   Throttle position, AFM, O2 sensor data, engine load, fuel use, temperatures, acceleration, speed, rpm, engine torque output (as a percentage of max generated torque to date), barometric air pressure, lean angle, current wheel horsepower, fuel flow rate (instant, overall average, or fuel use per last hour/minute/kilometer), fuel/range remaining (calculated live), full GPS stats, speedometer error (GPS vs OBD), current voltage, track engine misfires, and more.  

All this can be collected and logged if you want, displayed onscreen with a variety of different gauges, graphs, etc, so you can make your own dashboards.  

So it's super fun to just have a dashboard set up while riding, but more importantly you can do things like display multiple graphs showing the history of various items to figure out what's causing a problem. 

Also, it'll keep track of your best 0-60, 0-100, quarter mile, and such times, which is neat.    You can also combine this data with video, and make those fun overlays that televised racing has.  

It does a lot.

Code reading/clearing is a teensie tiny subset of what it can do.

Oh, and there's lots of plugins, too. 

You could go so far as to fully remove the stock LCD display, replace it with a waterproof tablet or phone running Torque, and have a full color dash displaying literally anything you want, however you want.  Bar graphs, analogue clocks, digital displays, as many data points as you'd like/can fit on the screen and even maps/navigation.  

Edit: Yes, as above, it can show actual rear wheel torque and HP; current values or graphed over time.  It does this by requiring you to input accurate vehicle weight (including you and your gear), then calculating the power required to obtain the acceleration you are getting.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Like 2