Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Cheers from Arkansas, USA

TRT7

Finally! I have been trying to get my hands on a T7 for almost 2 years, and just picked my 2022 Raven model up last Saturday. So, now the mods begin! I went with the Camel ADV gut guard, ABH for cluster stabilization, 1 finger clutch arm, and enduro exhaust. Have Adventure Spec crash bars and GPS mount. Alt Rider water pump guard and clear, no-tool headlight guard. I prefer the Barkbusters VPS and like the bike-specific fit. I have a Tusk Tail Rack. 

Having trouble deciding on rackless / rack luggage setup. What works best for all of you? 

67677352624__1B6A8CC6-1812-401B-8622-AEF1128A8522.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome!  I rode the TAT through AR last summer.  You have some fun backroad and dirt sections.

I started with the Mosko 25/35l bags on a rack that require the Mosko 'wedges' and a rack.  I liked that set up, but it is heavy.  I am trying out the Mosko Reckless 80 now, but don't have any long rides with them yet.  They are a lot lighter, which I like, but I know I will miss the convenience of the racked setup.  When on the TAT, I could drop my bags at camp and go find a store that sold beer, and easily bring beer and ice back to camp in the 'holsters.'  Turns out, there are lots of dry counties in AR which meant some strategic planning and/or post-ride adventures.  Nice to have a cold one (or 3) around the campfire.  Anyway, the luggage worked great... and I suppose it would work great for other "more practical" jobs as well.  

Here are the weights for the two set-ups that I've tried:

Mosko panniers 35L/25L 20.2
Mosko 30L duffel 7
OM pannier racks (standard) w/ MM wedges 11
Mosko reckless 80L (w/ 2 aux pox) 15.7

So, 38.2 lbs (empty) for the Mosko pannier setup with 30L duffel using Outback Motortek racks vs. 15.7 lbs (empty) for the R80.  

I'm keeping both setups until I've decided which I prefer... but light=right most of the time for me.  Depends on what you're looking for.

Enjoy your new ride!

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum TRT7, enjoy the new wheels. 

I was committed to rackless from the get-go, it just seemed right not to weigh the T7 down with unnecessary weight. So I added a AS Rear Rack, and went with Mosko Reckless 80. I sometimes use the 20L duffel on the Rear Rack for day trips. I'm happy with this set-up and can't see any shortcomings that would change my mind. Buy once, buy right.

• Like 1

Mosko Moto Reckless 40 for daily use and R80 with the 30L duffel for long trips.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Mosko Moto Reckless 40 for daily use and R80 with the 30L duffel for long trips.

@Ray Ride4life Do you use the 30L duffel in addition to the 22L tailbag that comes with the R80, or in place of it?

Congratulations! 2 years is a long time to wait but this bike is worth it. I'm in Southwest Arkansas so maybe one day our paths will cross.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 7:20 PM, rd1myers said:

Welcome!  I rode the TAT through AR last summer.  You have some fun backroad and dirt sections.

I started with the Mosko 25/35l bags on a rack that require the Mosko 'wedges' and a rack.  I liked that set up, but it is heavy.  I am trying out the Mosko Reckless 80 now, but don't have any long rides with them yet.  They are a lot lighter, which I like, but I know I will miss the convenience of the racked setup.  When on the TAT, I could drop my bags at camp and go find a store that sold beer, and easily bring beer and ice back to camp in the 'holsters.'  Turns out, there are lots of dry counties in AR which meant some strategic planning and/or post-ride adventures.  Nice to have a cold one (or 3) around the campfire.  Anyway, the luggage worked great... and I suppose it would work great for other "more practical" jobs as well.  

Here are the weights for the two set-ups that I've tried:

Mosko panniers 35L/25L 20.2
Mosko 30L duffel 7
OM pannier racks (standard) w/ MM wedges 11
Mosko reckless 80L (w/ 2 aux pox) 15.7

So, 38.2 lbs (empty) for the Mosko pannier setup with 30L duffel using Outback Motortek racks vs. 15.7 lbs (empty) for the R80.  

I'm keeping both setups until I've decided which I prefer... but light=right most of the time for me.  Depends on what you're looking for.

Enjoy your new ride!

@rd1meyers   Thanks for the info! I have been leaning toward the lighter setup, but can also see the virtues of the rack approach, as well. Still, half the weight…

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 10:41 PM, thepointchris said:

Welcome to the Forum TRT7, enjoy the new wheels. 

I was committed to rackless from the get-go, it just seemed right not to weigh the T7 down with unnecessary weight. So I added a AS Rear Rack, and went with Mosko Reckless 80. I sometimes use the 20L duffel on the Rear Rack for day trips. I'm happy with this set-up and can't see any shortcomings that would change my mind. Buy once, buy right.

@thepointchris   Thanks for the welcome and the info! Have you kept the pillion pegs as your holster attach point? The Reckless 80 would be my choice also, if I go that route. 

On 6/15/2022 at 10:51 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

@Ray Ride4life   In your opinion, could the 80 be functional for daily commuting, or did you find it too bulky for that purpose, in also opting for the 40?

19 hours ago, Alter Ego said:

Congratulations! 2 years is a long time to wait but this bike is worth it. I'm in Southwest Arkansas so maybe one day our paths will cross.

@Alter Ego   Thanks! I’m stoked to have it and start the process of setting it up. I’m in central AR, and have now started looking into riding groups and events. Appreciate the welcome. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRT7 said:

@Ray Ride4life   In your opinion, could the 80 be functional for daily commuting, or did you find it too bulky for that purpose, in also opting for the 40?

I find them too bulky but if i didn't had another bike with the Backcountry 35L panniers for grocery's i probably wouldn't mind having the 80 for daily.

But when in doubt buy the 80 and if it bothers you too much buy the 40 later as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRT7 said:

@thepointchris   Thanks for the welcome and the info! Have you kept the pillion pegs as your holster attach point? The Reckless 80 would be my choice also, if I go that route. 

I have been using the pillion pegs, yes. I'm about to remove them, and install a Kriega Anchor point, I never have a passenger 

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the forum!  I am in Northwest Arkansas and may have seen your bike a few times.  What enduro exhaust did you go with?  I have the MIVV Dakar setup with the stock headers.  I am curious to know if anyone has a MIVV Dakar exhaust with decatted headers and would like to hear how it sounds in person.  

With great horsepower, comes great responsibility .... loss of traction!