Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Removing the front wheel

Wharfe

Question

Hi all. In order to do various tasks I will need to remove the front wheel. My issue is around raising the bike. I have a 450kg rated scissor jack with a flat platform about 8inches by 16inches. So far so good, but my concern is that the weight will be taken by the two bolted-in frame members that the bash plate attaches to. Will these support the weight of the bike? To answer the inevitable, yes the bike is also supported at the rear on a paddock stand for stability and yes I will be using some carefully placed wood blocks to keep things off the sump, exhaust headers, bash guard mounts etc.  

Your advice please, before I risk bending something expensive 😱

3 answers to this question

I used a motorcycle jack under the T7 skid plate with no problems before installing a center stand.  

I use a scissor jack as well and when I don't have the Camel Gut Guard on I do as you have mentioned and use wood blocks to be sure nothing gets bent out of shape.  The frame members will hold without problem.  

I usually have the Camel Gut Guard on when I jack it up and it works superbly.  

I slip a block of wood between the OEM skid plate and the sump, in order to transfer some load to the engine.  It seems to work because the wood block has some impressions from the sump after use.  If you size it right, it can slide in without removing the skid plate.  Mine is about 2.5" x 5" and 1" thick.

This may only be necessary with the OEM plate.

IMG_7452.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1