Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Oil Pressure Light...WHAT???

xwillx

Question

2021 T7.  3700 miles.

So the other day I was "normally" decelerating to a stop, using a combination of engine braking and brakes, and the oil pressure light flashed on for a full second.  It had turned off by the time I had stopped.  I pulled over to check the oil level and all was fine.  I cut my ride short and rode the 10 miles or so back to the house.  The bike ran normally and the light never came on again.  

Any ideas?  Are there any known issues with the oil pressure sensor or oil pump in the CP2 engine?

9 answers to this question

Id start by changing oil and filter. Ride it and  see if it happens again. 

There is around 2k miles on the oil/filter.  Motul full synthetic 10-40 + a K&N filter.  I was going to wait until at least 4k miles, but yeah, I could have a filter-flow issue.

3 hours ago, xwillx said:

There is around 2k miles on the oil/filter.  Motul full synthetic 10-40 + a K&N filter.  I was going to wait until at least 4k miles, but yeah, I could have a filter-flow issue.

I think the K & N oil filter would be the problem.  The regular filter will do the job very well and will out last the prescribed oil change interval.  Likely the K & N is over filtering and restricting oil flow. 

However, the sensor may also be the culprit.  But start with the easy stuff first. 

Hmm.  I have run K&N filters for years on all types of vehicles without issue.   Nothing against OEM, but it's just a matter of availability and ease of removal.   Still, it's the most likely culprit.   Thanks everyone. 

Most Yamahas I've owned in the past had a oil level light, not oil pressure. Not sure how it is on the t7 but may be worth checking into. Oil level correct?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

Most Yamahas I've owned in the past had a oil level light, not oil pressure. Not sure how it is on the t7 but may be worth checking into. Oil level correct?

Yes, a lot of the older Genesis engines were oil level switches, but the 700 engine uses a pressure switch.

Pressure Switch.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Yes the T7 has an Oil Pressure Switch, unless the Oil Pressure Switch can give a false low pressure reading if the Oil Level is down just a little???

I might be worth checking the oil level and topping it up a little and see if that makes a difference.

I have always filled the oil during an oil change by measuring the amount of oil when I fill it back up, and not just used the level glass when filling.

I would start with the simple things first.

The oil pressure switch is in the open on the front of the engine.  Lots of debris/water gets kicked up by the front tire and is sprayed directly on this area.  The more you go off-road the more likely mud etc might get in there and possibly cause an issue.

It  could be as simple as a slightly corroded connection where the wire connects to the front of the pressure switch, or vibration could have caused the screw to loosen and not give a good connection.

I assume it is a simple one wire, normally open circuit.  Pressure builds, closes the switch, and this causes the light to go out.  

If so a loose wire would not complete the circuit and the light would stay on.  

Also the wiring is close to the exhaust so have a look and make sure the wiring didn't come off a holder and possibly drop down and rub the exhaust or something else that could cause damage and a open circuit.

They are a pretty simple switch and very possible you might have just got a bad one.

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 8:31 PM, williestreet said:

I would start with the simple things first.

The oil pressure switch is in the open on the front of the engine.  Lots of debris/water gets kicked up by the front tire and is sprayed directly on this area.  The more you go off-road the more likely mud etc might get in there and possibly cause an issue.

It  could be as simple as a slightly corroded connection where the wire connects to the front of the pressure switch, or vibration could have caused the screw to loosen and not give a good connection.

I assume it is a simple one wire, normally open circuit.  Pressure builds, closes the switch, and this causes the light to go out.  

If so a loose wire would not complete the circuit and the light would stay on.  

Also the wiring is close to the exhaust so have a look and make sure the wiring didn't come off a holder and possibly drop down and rub the exhaust or something else that could cause damage and a open circuit.

They are a pretty simple switch and very possible you might have just got a bad one.

You have that a little backwards mate, the wire would need to be grounded/shorted out to illuminate the oil pressure warning light.

If the wire was burnt to the exhaust or pinched somewhere it could come on.

More likely possibility is a low oil level with some aggressive braking/lean angles starving the pickup momentarily.