Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

In pursuit of a luggage solution...

Zebco Kid

Hello All,

I will soon (ha ha) be a proud owner of a Yamaha Tenere. While I'm waiting for my bike to arrive (which just might include manufacturing, shipping, etc.), I'm gathering up the accessories that will make the bike just how I want it.

The one area I'm struggling with is the luggage solution. I'm coming off a BMW GSA with aluminum panniers and top box.

On the Tenere, I have no interest in the aluminum side panniers, as I feel they stick out way to far me my comfort. However, I'm thinking I want an aluminum top case, so I have a secure place to put items like my helmet, gloves, etc. when I'm moving around town. For the panniers, I'm committed to Kriega OS-18's. I received them, along with the base system that is specifically for the Tenere. I know there are more affordable solutions out there, but I have to say that the Kriega system is some of the best quality gear (in terms of workmanship and design) that I have seen in a very long time. I'm looking forward to taking them out on an off-road journey.

The part I'm struggling with is the aluminum top case. I already have a Yamaha OEM top case. I've been told that I need to have the OEM Rear Rack Kit, but I bought it, and found that system is quite heavy. I returned it. I was hoping that there was a more modest (lighter) setup that would allow me to mount the top case only, as I don't need contact points for aluminum panniers. I purchased the Givi SR2145 Top Case Rack Kit, and it was definitely lighter, but it didn't come with a mounting plate (my mistake). When I contacted Revzilla about an appropriate plate, they steered my back to the OEM Rear Rack Kit (the heavy one I didn't want). They said the top plates on the SR2145 wouldn't work with my Yamaha OEM top case. I told them that I read that Givi makes the cases for Yamaha. Needless to say, I feel like I'm turning in circles. I asked whether there was a mounting plate (Monokey format)  that I could attach to the SR2145 that would allow me to use my Yamaha top case. They said no. However, when I look at Revzilla's site, it seems like there are a number of mounting plates that will work.

So...as I'm writing this long piece, and seeking advice, I have become convinced that Revzilla was wrong. So...I have reorderd the SR2145 and the M9B monokey plate. I think it's all going to come together with a Kriega OS BaseKriega OS18 soft panniers, a Wolfman Rolie Dry Bag in the middle, and a Yamaha OEM top case in the back.

I should add...if you're thinking that I'm blowing some cash. The BMW GSA was a lemon. It sat in my garage for a year and one half while my lemon law attorney pursued satisfaction from BMW corporate. I simply didn't want to pass my nightmare onto another motorcyclist. That would be totally uncool. I wanted BMW to own their crud - The Ultimate Driving Machine...Ha! So...in the end of the day, I received satisfaction. With that, I was able to purchase (order) a Tenere. I'm outfitting it just the way I want...for about a third of the price. A lot of fun!

Cheers,

ZK

• Like 2

I have a Givi Outback top box with the mono key attachment. A ton of different racks should work with it, if it’s the same system.  I have never seen a Yamaha top box in person to know though.

I use a sw motech rear rack with the ride AdV side racks. It works.  

as far as the reign I have heard folks say to not use the t7 specific harness and get their normal one as it’s more adjustable, though I cannot remember in what way, but there was a thread discussing it on this forum.

Hope your bike arrives soon!

Mike

• Like 1

I'm a fan of Mosko Moto gear, have the Backcountry 35 on my Crosstourer and the Reckless 40 and 80 for the T7 with multiple options as tailpack to combine with the different sets (Stinger 8 and 22 plus the Scout 30 and 60 duffels).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

I have a Givi Outback top box with the mono key attachment. A ton of different racks should work with it, if it’s the same system.  I have never seen a Yamaha top box in person to know though.

I use a sw motech rear rack with the ride AdV side racks. It works.  

as far as the reign I have heard folks say to not use the t7 specific harness and get their normal one as it’s more adjustable, though I cannot remember in what way, but there was a thread discussing it on this forum.

Hope your bike arrives soon!

Mike

Interesting. I bought the universal by accident, and exchanged it for the specific. Although it’s fun? Doing this without the bike in hand is an adventure.  All I know is when it arrives, I’m setting it up and heading for the mountains. Thank you for the input. 

Lol I got a good. U her of accessories from folks who bought them before the bike then gave up waiting on it. Some one bought the full rally raid suspension kit then bought another bike bc  he got tired of waiting for the t7 to come in so I got it for a song.

it is fun once you do get it, to just be able to bolt on the stuff and head for the hills 😀

Well, As my GSA sat in my garage with no miles for 1.5 years while I hassled with the &&@&!??! at BMW, I’m willing to wait. One day I’ll get a call….

A fun wait. 

I think I might be growing up!

ZK

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody looking to part with an OEM hard Luggage setup, 2 Cases and a rack?

I'm in Northern CA.

Jerry

Edited by JayIsaacJ

9 minutes ago, JayIsaacJ said:

Anybody looking to part with an OEM hard Luggage setup, 2 Cases and a rack?

I'm in Northern CA.

Jerry

• 1 month later...

I am after the same solution, top case with Kriega saddle, but saw that the OS base goes over the pegs that the rear rack connects too. Emailed kriega and was told the OS base cannot be fitted with a rear rack. What solution did you come up with? Thanks!

1 hour ago, TenereChile said:

I am after the same solution, top case with Kriega saddle, but saw that the OS base goes over the pegs that the rear rack connects too. Emailed kriega and was told the OS base cannot be fitted with a rear rack. What solution did you come up with? Thanks!

Hello TenereChile,

I don’t have an answer for you yet, as my new Tenere hasn’t arrived yet. I have all of my accessories ready. I did decide to go with the GIVI 2145 rack. The top case fits perfectly. From the looks of the pictures it appears that the OS base will fit perfectly as well. If it turns out that there is a conflict between the post and the base, my intention is to make a hole in the base and sew the rim appropriately so that it is professional looking and protected from deteriorating. The downside of that is that I will not be able to remove all the bags along with the base in one move. However, that is not something that I intend to do with frequency. Or, maybe it will simply ride over the top of the rack. We'll see. More important is that I have the top case I want and the soft luggage that I want. It’s all about trade-offs, and I will make it work. I remain hopeful that it will all work together perfectly. My experience has been that the various vendors don’t know all of the possibilities of the various brands and how they interact. That’s for us customers to figure out, and I think I’m onto something. We’ll see!My experience has been that the various vendors don’t know all of the possibilities of the various brands and how they interact. That’s for us customers to figure out, and I think I’m onto something. We’ll see!

E6DF50D0-EABB-4074-9743-90047D3704C5.jpeg

A58C4531-B10B-48DB-B380-B08D401A3487.png

Edited by Zebco Kid

Thanks for the reply! Would be great to see pictures once you get your bike.

If you want alternatives, I have seen bikes with the Enduristan Blizzard that seem to fit well.

On 6/26/2022 at 8:44 AM, Ray Ride4life said:

I'm a fan of Mosko Moto gear, have the Backcountry 35 on my Crosstourer and the Reckless 40 and 80 for the T7 with multiple options as tailpack to combine with the different sets (Stinger 8 and 22 plus the Scout 30 and 60 duffels).

I may be going the Mosko Moto Reckless route. I want the 10 for day rides, every day short rides. Tools and whatever would go in a back pack. But for multi day travels would you suggest I go with the 40 or 80. Sure, I might end up with both in the distant  (ha!) future. But is the 40 really enough for a few days or more? I promise to pack light but would hate to have either too little or too much space.

8 minutes ago, Husafreak said:

I may be going the Mosko Moto Reckless route. I want the 10 for day rides, every day short rides. Tools and whatever would go in a back pack. But for multi day travels would you suggest I go with the 40 or 80. Sure, I might end up with both in the distant  (ha!) future. But is the 40 really enough for a few days or more? I promise to pack light but would hate to have either too little or too much space.

I went for a few days with the 40 but with camping gear it is a little tight.
Packing for a few days doesn't differ much from packing for a few months, it's the camping gear that needs the space.
My complete camping gear use up a 30L duffel and that is really not much and the 30L duffel fits under the beavertail of the R80 so if you already go for the R10 as a day solution i would go for the R80 as a longer trip solution.

Thanks that is really helpful. If I go for it I’ll just order the 10/80 and be ready for anything. One last question would be what rack (behind the seat rack) do you use to attach the Reckless stuff to? I know Camel ADV makes a minimalist one that you have to drill through the plastic with and I just saw the GIVI one here that uses the Yamaha’s frame attachment points, it looks like it may or may not interfere with the Reckless bags while the Camel ADV one has slots for the straps.

I made my own as i didn't needed a rack but just something for the traps to latch on.

Can't find it in my files because the previews are useless.