Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Front fork adjustment lowered

waffl

Question

Hello! I’ve installed lowering links on my tenere 700 from rally raid and they suggest:

We recommend sliding the forks through the triple clamps by 10mm to compensate for lowering the rear of the bike.

I imagine since the stock was 10mm of fork above the clamp this means a total of 20mm?

I’ve seen suggestions of pushing the forks through by 20mm which would mean 30mm total and seems impossible.

15mm (total 25 above clamp) takes me exactly to where the texture changes below the lower clamp.

has anyone actually lifted the forks beyond 25mm above the top clamp?

image.jpg

image.jpg

3 answers to this question

I think you will find that something in the range recommended by RR will restore the original balanced handling.  In my experience the front does not need to drop as much as the back.  But it’s interesting to experiment and dial in to your preferences. 

My dealer advised not to go past the texture change on the stanchions.

• Like 1

15mm change is the most you should do, for 25mm total as shown in you picture.  Anything more and your TT clamps will be clamping the forks in the wrong places.  I installed the 18mm OEM links, and dropped the front ride height 10mm and I'm very happy with it.  Still might screw with the springs, as the rear feels too soft, but I need more off road seat time to really decide.  I also need to load up with my camping gear and do some riding fully loaded. (the bike, not me)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the reply Zero600 and RichS. Quick report - I actually have the RR 40mm lowering links (eep), pushed the front forks through to 25mm total above as mentioned, and also replaced the spring with an 80Nm (vs stock 70Nm) - though I wish I would have gotten an 85/90 in hindsight. After a short 150km or so, things are quite nice so far, no noticeable change in handling, but this was just simple on-road riding. However, for someone like me with a shorter inseam, it's very nice to be basically flat footing.

Regarding the spring, I saw this post which recommends the ideal spring actually changes with lowering links too, so keep that in mind - wish I knew that beforehand haha: 

image.png.dc39f7212af5d5e95bd39848652b6e96.png