Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Long story for bored folks......

TexasT700

I hope you're not trying to convert us all..... I can't speak for others but I certainly am a lost heathen....😁😁

• Like 3

I never been to church and never will.

My life is good and everything that happens to me is a direct concequence of my own actions, good or bad.

• Like 6

• Moderators

@TexasT700 Good story and detailed learning experience about always carrying roadside/trailside tools.  Hopefully comments will focus on that aspect rather than delve into a religious discussion that'll get this thread moved and/ or locked down.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

@TexasT700, nice story. Stories like this is why I join these bike forums. Real life, real people. Thanks.... 

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

we should all switch over to to Presta Valves, no springs to fail!

I like using these caps. Handy core tool, made of metal, and the cap has a rubber washer inside the seals the stem pretty well.

image.png.682313bc114164d2f6f886b542b67ebb.png

• Thanks 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Hibobb,

Thnx for excellent idea. The plastic cap was useless to keep air in tire, and I see great merit to the type you mention.

ASAP gonna replace sorry plastic ones!😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hibobb said:

I like using these caps. Handy core tool, made of metal, and the cap has a rubber washer inside the seals the stem pretty well.

image.png.682313bc114164d2f6f886b542b67ebb.png

Looks like brass, with brass or other metal use some kind of anti seize.

3 hours ago, AZJW said:

@TexasT700 Good story and detailed learning experience about always carrying roadside/trailside tools.  Hopefully comments will focus on that aspect rather than delve into a religious discussion that'll get this thread moved and/ or locked down.

I agree completely, great tale well told.  Didn't mean for my response to sound like a pop at anyone or their beliefs...

Edited by electric_monk

I tend to help where I can. Flat batteries or drained fuel tanks right before my door, it all happened and never did I let anybody down (when I was home). Also, around here you don't pay for air 😉

A number of years ago I was on a bike trip to Scotland with a dozen work colleagues. I was riding a 27yo K100RS, so as a precausion I carried a collection of nuts, bolts, washers, zip ties and pieces of inner tube as well as a large tool roll.

1000 miles over five days and my bike didn't give me any cause for repair once.....but the parts came in handy to patch up 3 other bikes.

Wouul you know I was once a Boy Scout....?

• Like 2

Update....

I found Milton caps with core tool, solid brass, nickel plated. Northern Tool 6.99 for 5. Hoping this metal cap will not try to adhere to stem as some reports suggest. As often as I check pressure, can't imagine them freezing up.

1 hour ago, TexasT700 said:

Hoping this metal cap will not try to adhere to stem

I have used them for decades on M/C's and farm equipment... you are not going to have a problem.

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

So, my take-away from this is, enough with balance beads in a tube.

Do a proper balance if you have to, with external weight. The risk of malfunctioning with these internal beads would not be worth it. 

Good thing you were in town and not out in the bush.

7 minutes ago, ahamay said:

So, my take-away from this is, enough with balance beads in a tube.

Do a proper balance if you have to, with external weight. The risk of malfunctioning with these internal beads would not be worth it. 

Good thing you were in town and not out in the bush.

I think there is a place for balance beads. In my case, it took 2.5 ounces of weights to balance new Shinko 705 tire, and that is a lot of metal to stick on in one place. 3 ounces of balance beads makes a lot of sense in this case. The failure was actually the filtered valve core, and I think I will go back to regular cores. Sometimes a bead will stick in valve, but a blast of air and all is well. Not sure I would buy Shinko again, both tires were heck to get slid up on to the rim properly. Plus the rear was so out of balance it is crazee!

Yeppers, was good thing was local when the core failed....

I bought one of these cheap static balancers a few years ago. Super simple and work great. Now i have lots more friends....

s-l400.jpg

Motorcycle Bike Wheel Balancer, Rim Tire Balancing Spin Static Truing Stand w/Adjustable Centering Cones. Deluxe tire balance, truing stand. it is designed for balancing motorcycle wheel tires quickly and easily.

s-l400.jpg

△ With a uniform width allows multiple weights to be stacked on a single spoke and the ability to adjust the position along the spoke for a precise balance. △ Our weights have a relief chamfer on one end to allow them to fit over most spoke...

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I've had a rule since young, no long rides straight after doing any modifications on the bike. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, winddown said:

I've had a rule since young, no long rides straight after doing any modifications on the bike. 

My rule for testing out new mods is to have ramps and tie downs in the truck, have the Mrs on alert and stay in cell range. 😉

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

12 minutes ago, AZJW said:

My rule for testing out new mods is to have ramps and tie downs in the truck, have the Mrs on alert and stay in cell range. 😉

Lol, I like both suggestions, especially tiedowns/ramps/mrs!

On 6/30/2022 at 11:46 PM, TexasT700 said:

Lol, I like both suggestions, especially tiedowns/ramps/mrs!

I have no mrs 🙄   But on a other hand, I can spend a fortune on bike upgrades 😛

16 hours ago, winddown said:

I have no mrs 🙄   But on a other hand, I can spend a fortune on bike upgrades 😛

Ah here... there's no need to rub our noses in it..

• Like 1

Well, after riding on tube flat, I could not keep using it, plus, was bored today. Replaced tube with new one and added 7 oz of Ride On balancing sealer. Went for spin, bike rides as smooth as glass, plus some measure of puncture protection in front. Rear still has beads in it, but may put Ride on and new tube.  Revving up for some Colorado fire roads fun. 🔥 

• Like 1