Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere for big guy

lobsterbake

Hello - looking at a Tenere 700 and mostly interested in riding it on twisty roads and it might in reality never see off road. I am 6’5” 275 lbs - anyone in my size range give me an idea of how the power and is for street riding? I don’t need a rocket but I want something that has some pep in its step and have no desire to ride something that feels underpowered based on my size. I have a 22 Goldwing DCT and might get an MT10 down the line. Thanks!

I'm not quite as tall as you at 6'0 even but I go about 260ish and I'm pretty impressed with how well it hauls me around. Only got about 160 miles on it so far, but there's def no lack of power for even pretty spirited riding.

• Thanks 1

if you know you will never go off road, then agree with above-go for the MT's (7 or bigger) but if you really want the T7, it has more than enough power for you. I am 235 and it hauls my ass with plenty on the freeways when I have to use them. I never want for more power with it.

• Thanks 1

Tall ADV bikes have good ergonomics for a large guy like you but if you are not taking it off road there are many other tall bikes that are more street focused.  If you go with the T7, you'll have to re-spring it for your weight. 

The MT10 might be cramped for you.

• Thanks 1

If it will never see off-road, no point in being a contender. Many other options to choose from, even a GS1250, KTM 1090, 1290, AT etc... Which can do off road, though at 500lbs+, eat pavement better than a T7 with almost double the power. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 6'4" 100 kg  and it's a perfect fit. From time to time i ride with my wife. So it's + 65kg more. Not as good as GL 🙂 but for a short and not super fast trips, it works. 

I'm about 6'4", owned lots of motorcycles from cruiser to sports bikes and I've haven't had a single bike that was good out of the box for a large driver. OK haven't owned a touring bike like GW or K1600 so they might make an exception. Doubt it though. 

Like every bike, T7 is designed for a rider between 5'3" and 5'11" (170-180cm) and for it to be ergonomically good it needs fiddling. Higher saddle, lowered footpegs, new handle bar or pivoting risers (avoid normal block risers if you're long, they just make cockpit even crampier because hands get closer to your chest). Pretty much the same stuff every bike needs, if you're outside normal driver measurements. 

Yes the driving position is more relaxed than lets say MT10 but this applies to shorter riders too. T7 has more relaxed driving position regardless of length of the driver. There is no reason one shouldn't fix ergonomics issues whatever type of bike your riding. Fix the ergonomics and presto, you'll be amazed how much better the bike feels. This applies to T7 and any other ADV bike as well as street bikes and cruisers.

For @lobsterbake I'm with @Hogan on this one. T7 is mediocre at best when only used as a streetbike. Its impressive offroad capabilities are the thing that makes T7 so sweet. It's a perfect goldilocks bike that is decent on every road surface. But like always it's a compromise, so in the same time it's also equally bad on everything compared to more specialized bikes. 

I'd go for MT10 without a blink of an eye if I only rode on hard surfaces. 

Edited by witgen
  • Like 2

As almost everyone else said, I wouldn't bother with a Tenere if you aren't going offroad.
That said, I'm 6'2 and 285lb (chubby, but I also work out a lot) and my T7 hauls me around with no problems. Offoad, I keep up with my brother's smaller, lighter, better tire-having KLR250 with no problem. On road, I can keep him in sight on his FJR1300, until there is a long straight. I don't know about everyone else, but my T7 accelerates strongly up to around 90, then starts tapering off pretty quickly. Wide shoulders are probably a large-ish part of the issue here. I've had it up to 112mph on a long straight, as I was watching my brother pull away at 140+. I'm definitely guilty of racing around the mountains playing with the occasional Mustang or Porsche, but if they had better drivers, a T7 wouldn't have had a chance.🤷🏻‍♂️ Is it fun on the street? Absolutely. Is it ideal on the street? Not particularly.
It's not a great street bike. It's not a great dirt bike. It IS the best possible combination of the two.👌🏻

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

For a big guy, I think the T700 makes a pretty good street bike.  My friend has a number of bikes including a FJR1300 and a tricked out MT10.  I fit OK on the MT10, but it is not ideal for me.  The FJR1300 is really nice and ergonomics are quite a bit like my FJ600, so I am a lot more comfortable on that one.  The stock tires are not bad on the street -- much better than I expected them to be.  My biggest issue with them off road is the back end losing lateral grip on softer terrain when you get on the throttle.

When I get on the T700, it feels like it is made for a guy my size (6' 3, 225 lbs).  Now that I have a rally seat and lowered footpegs, it is even better.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,  you asked for it....  you got it, right here!!!  Big guy version!!!  

tenere 1200.jpg

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid

6'-2", 230lbs. 34" inseam. T7 with rally seat works great. No complaints on 600-700km days of pavement/gravel. Had an MT10. LOVED IT!! Sold it to preserve my license. Was comfortable enough for 500-600kms/day in the saddle for a couple of days. If I really want to put on miles, I use my Super T. Solo or 2 up, solid 800kms/day machine in nearly stock form. Doesn't work nearly as well as the T7 on dual track, but its super comfortable, and gets better fuel mileage than the T7 for long hauls (5.5l/100 ave vs 6.2 for the T7 - piped and tuned though).

• Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

6'6", 280, 34" inseam and I am in love with my t7. I feel like this is a great bike for my size. As others have said there are better offroad bikes and better on road bikes but the t7 is a jack of all trades. 

• Thanks 1