Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Wheel size and skid plate

WingVetteStrom

Can't find the OEM wheel size on the Yamaha website, and have seen conflicting info elsewhere on this forum.

Can anyone give me the true wheel sizes (maybe with a reference) for the T7? Specifically the width.  Obviously diameters are 21 and 18.

I'm in line for a T7 here in Washington State, USA and will be purchasing Alpina tubeless wheels for it when I get it.

They sell their wheels at 2.15/21 and 4.25/18 sizes, but elsewhere on this forum I saw someone give different OEM sizes.

Good thing my favorite tires will fit on the Alpine sizes:  Dunlop Trailmax Missions and MotoZ Traccionator GPS.

Also, does anyone know of a skid plate that attaches only to the frame and not to the engine?  Does the OEM skid plate accessory option attach at all to the engine?

Thanks!

Edited by WingVetteStrom

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

• WingVetteStrom changed the title to Wheel size and skid plate

The rear tire is Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR 150/70 R18

Fronts 90/90-21

I too have the trailmax missions on order. Got the front when I picked up the bike a week ago back hasn't come in. 

I also got the beefier skid plate and have yet to mount it but it's just 4 bolts all to the frame with another little plate for the exhaust. Haven't installed yet as I don't have any locktite kicking around my shop.

• Thanks 1

The front wheel is 1.85” wide. The rear is 4” wide. So when you go to the Alpina wheels the cross section profile of the tires you normally use will change. For the stock front wheel, the TubeType Motoz tires fit better than the Tubed Type.

The AXP skid plate attaches to the frame only I believe.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Liquidape said:

The front wheel is 1.85” wide. The rear is 4” wide. So when you go to the Alpina wheels the cross section profile of the tires you normally use will change. For the stock front wheel, the TubeType Motoz tires fit better than the Tubed Type.

The AXP skid plate attaches to the frame only I believe.

Are those dimensions from you actually measuring the wheel, or do you have a reference?  Sorry, wouldn’t ask you that if there weren’t conflicting posts on this. 😊

Pulled those specs from the repair manual. The rims are also stamped so you could just look at your bike if you need further confirmation DE22A603-9A75-43E8-8793-B4AFC12FF551.jpeg.a3cf21f29ab827398162daf374fb9f9a.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Liquidape said:

Pulled those specs from the repair manual. The rims are also stamped so you could just look at your bike if you need further confirmation DE22A603-9A75-43E8-8793-B4AFC12FF551.jpeg.a3cf21f29ab827398162daf374fb9f9a.jpeg

Great!   Thanks.  (Don’t have a T7 yet. )

1 hour ago, ItsAlbynoRyno said:

The rear tire is Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR 150/70 R18

Fronts 90/90-21

I too have the trailmax missions on order. Got the front when I picked up the bike a week ago back hasn't come in. 

I also got the beefier skid plate and have yet to mount it but it's just 4 bolts all to the frame with another little plate for the exhaust. Haven't installed yet as I don't have any locktite kicking around my shop.

Thanks.  But my question was on wheel size. 🙂