Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Oil Change Frequency

PNGL

Rather than relying on possible oil company stooges, paid contributors, and the like; I'll ask you people. How many miles do you usually rack up between oil changes? I'm at about 1600 miles on my current Motul 7100 and was thinking I'd let ride until 3ooo or so. Thoughts?
PS: I know this is going to be contentious, so try to be civilized to each other and relevant to the topic in the comments please. 😂🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

We’ll I’m in a cool country, no real dust battering air filters, no extremes of temperature, just rain and salt, so lots of chain lube, and I’ll just stick to the Japanese engineers advice. If I noticed it mayonaising or any water ingress I’d do it sooner.  Most of my miles are boring motorways though. Not chasing pol tarres up a mountain. 

In the EU i think Yamaha says 12000km just like my Honda Crosstourer, with the Crosstourer i change between 15 and 20.000km and the T7 get fresh oil between 7500 and 10.000km.
A lot depends on how you use it and in what environment.
I use Motorex Top Speed ( a 3/4 synthetic) in the CT and Kroon Expulsa RR (full synthetic) in the T7.

• Like 3

• Moderators

4,000 miles between oil changes as per the Maintenance schedule. When changing it out the oil doesn't look new, but isn't completely past it's useful life.  At least according to my calibrated eyeballs!

• Like 5

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

47 minutes ago, Dougie said:

We’ll I’m in a cool country, no real dust battering air filters, no extremes of temperature, just rain and salt, so lots of chain lube, and I’ll just stick to the Japanese engineers advice. If I noticed it mayonaising or any water ingress I’d do it sooner.  Most of my miles are boring motorways though. Not chasing pol tarres up a mountain. 

I don't chase Pol, but I ride the same sort of terrain... just muuuch slower. LOL

• Haha 1

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

34 minutes ago, AZJW said:

4,000 miles between oil changes as per the Maintenance schedule. When changing it out the oil doesn't look new, but isn't completely past it's useful life.  At least according to my calibrated eyeballs!

Ditto. I deviate from the maintenance schedule and replace the filter every oil change vs every other as the schedule calls for. 

@PNGL, are you ready for this....

USA owners manual, 4,000 Miles

EU owners manual 6,000 Miles (Not Km... Miles!)

No one ever gave me a good explanation for that....

Plus they get a 2-year warranty!

• Confused 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

America is an oil driven nation, demand lower intervals with some kind of excuse to the manufacturers and your income will rise.

• Like 1

Maybe Texas t has different shear properties etc compared to our euro synth stuff? 
but the pessimist in me thinks Ray is right. 
could also be the environmental push to lengthen oil changes. 

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 1

Naw.... it's just that you blokes with the skinny tight pants and you hair in man-buns just don't ride as hard...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

57 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

it's the same with many autos as well, EU vs US. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Which is one good reason that I don’t have a problem going over 4000 miles on a long trip with my Super Tenere.  I have an upcoming trip that will run 5000-6000 miles in September and will change the oil and filter when I get home.

I normally change oil in my T700 and Super Tenere every 4000 miles with an oil filter change every 8000 miles.  I do remove and drain the filter each time it isn’t replaced.

• Like 1

Live in the Philippines and it is a hot and humid country. Owner's manual says 10k km but general consensus among owners here and even the dealers is to change oil every 5k kms.

• Like 1

Every 5000km here in Oz ( my recommendation )

Oil is cheap; motors aren't

• Like 4

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

21 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Naw.... it's just that you blokes with the skinny tight pants and you hair in man-buns just don't ride as hard...

I wish I could still fit into skinny pants😂😂😂 I’d look like an anaconda after a goat breakfast. 😁🍺

• Haha 3

Changed oil today, Yamalube full syn. At 2500 miles, I would say that is too many miles for my taste. Oil looked pretty dirty, metal flakes. Going for maybe 2000 miles next time and see if it looks better.

5000km or there abouts.

Penrite fullsynthetic.

Castrol Power 1 4T semi synthetic.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I usually end up changing it if Im going on a trip or got back from a trip with dirt and hard miles, sitting in traffic, etc...I usually change it about every 2500- 3000 miles because of the riding i do. The bike seems to shift crappy with dirty oil....I have a 20 year old Duramax and they recommend every 10000 but I usually change it every 5000 miles because that truck does alot of dirt and hauling trailers or a camper...I use quality dino oil so the more frequent oil changes aren't that expensive.....50+ years of vehicles and Ive never had a engine take a Shet......

Edited by JohnfromDP
  • Like 2

In my old job with 17litre v8 diesels and bigger, they now just send oil samples away to be tested, then change it as required. I suppose it used to cost a fortune to do it at regular intervals, especially if they didn’t get used for a while. Bit of a faff about for our needs though. 
I wouldn’t change oil at a time interval anyway, especially on the 1vj. Although once she’s dropped half her oil along the road, I just top her up. 👍😉

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/7/2022 at 1:01 PM, Stevoh said:

5000km or there abouts.

Penrite fullsynthetic.

+1

I just changed mine at about 4,500km to Penrite MC 4ST fully synthetic and it made a small but noticeable difference to the smoothness of the gear change and clutch engagement. It isn't cheap but that's what I'll be using from now on as it is readily available at Super Cheap Auto.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, luke29ermtb said:

+1

I just changed mine at about 4,500km to Penrite MC 4ST fully synthetic and it made a small but noticeable difference to the smoothness of the gear change and clutch engagement. It isn't cheap but that's what I'll be using from now on as it is readily available at Super Cheap Auto.

Screenshot_20221030-230120.png

• Like 1