Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Garmin Zumo XT Wiring

Leoh

Question

Hello all,

I'm a new to me T700 owner and would like to purchase a Garmin Zumo XT unit. I've watched a few videos on the unit, installation, etc. but I do find myself with a few questions as found below. Hoping to receive some guidance. Thank you in advance. 

1. Is it preferable to connect the Zumo XT to the two or three pin OEM connector found on the right side of the bike?

2. Regardless of which one is picked must you buy a male or female connector to affix to the Garmin wires to be able to plug into the OEM two or three pin connector/harness?

3. If a connector is necessary and as sold at Eastern Beaver. Is it the (L) or (S) that is needed?  L - Fits wires from .5mm - 1.25mm (20 - 16 AWG); S - Fits wires from 0.25mm - 0.5mm (28 - 20 AWG).

Note: I will be adding a USB outlet as well which may dictate what I do above?

Note 2: I would like to give a shout out to @orbsurfer for his great video content which I will be following for these two installs.

Regards,

Leoh

7 answers to this question

The two wire is connected to a 2-amp fuse

The three wire is connected to a 10-amp fuse

Someone on this site mentioned with the XT's bright backlight, it requires more than 2-amps

I looked but didn't find that in the manual, but... that was a good enough reason for me to go with the three wire connector, although I used only two wires on it.

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

The two wire connector will  be fine. I have a complete install video on my YouTube channel if you want to check it out. Also have links for the connectors if you need them. Mine has been working flawlessly on the two wire connector and has never had any issues with blowing fuses or display brightness. 

• Like 1

MotoSouth

www.youtube.com/c/motosouth

OK, so I called Garmin. The tech support was lacking. No one ever asked them what the "Maximum Power Usage" (Full brightness, charging it's internal battery, & searching for satellites) was for a Zumo XT. I trust @MotoSouth when he says the two wire circuit works fine for him, but be aware, the OEM cigarette lighter outlet in on the same circuit. If you charge your phone from there at the same time you are running the GPS at max, there may be issues.

Best of luck to you,

Bob

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I used the 2 wire 2 amp plug.  I just soldered the wires of the Garmin to the wires of the plug.   

I find it amazing the Garmin doest pop off the mount.  The nastiest washboard or the most rocky BDR sections the Garmin stays in it’s place.  

7 hours ago, MotoSouth said:

The two wire connector will  be fine. I have a complete install video on my YouTube channel if you want to check it out. Also have links for the connectors if you need them. Mine has been working flawlessly on the two wire connector and has never had any issues with blowing fuses or display brightness. 

@MotoSouth Thank you for the response.  I'm now a follower of your channel and very much appreciate your detailed approach to your content creation. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hibobb said:

OK, so I called Garmin. The tech support was lacking. No one ever asked them what the "Maximum Power Usage" (Full brightness, charging it's internal battery, & searching for satellites) was for a Zumo XT. I trust @MotoSouth when he says the two wire circuit works fine for him, but be aware, the OEM cigarette lighter outlet in on the same circuit. If you charge your phone from there at the same time you are running the GPS at max, there may be issues.

Best of luck to you,

Bob

@Hibobb Thank you for your efforts and info. 

I connected my Zumo XT directly to the battery using Garmin's harness.  I like to be able to use the GPS without turning in the key.

The downside to this method is that you need to power off the GPS by holding down the power button when not riding the bike. 

Also, I leave the Zumo on the bike so installed Moto Pumps locking bracket to keep it there when I am not watching. 

Edited by Hollybrook