Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Any clutch switch issues?

katana

Stopping the engine using the side stand is my go to for not having to turn off the abs again.

Last ride I had to shift to neutral to fire the engine back up.  I cannot think of any reason not to bridge the clutch switch since it has already failed me.  

Anyone with the same issue?  Thoughts?

unless there is something related to the clutch switch in the software id get rid. ive had clutch switch issues on several bikes. deleted with no issues.

• Moderators

@katana Lots of us here have defeated the side stand switch with no ill effects. Either buying a jumper or cut and splice the two wires together to bypass that switch that often gets smashed on the trail,  forcing the trailside repair to get going again.  Is that what you're referring to mentioning a clutch switch?

Pages 467 & 470 on this link should help.

content-pdf-large.png

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Read up on the super Tenere forums on bypassing the clutch switch. Verdict is still out on the t7 as far as whether fueling is affected as it is on the T12. 

I’ve done it with zero issues to run an RSC lever. Gauge cluster will no longer display ECO mode. Better when done this way so you can start it in gear. 

6 hours ago, BMRT7 said:

Read up on the super Tenere forums on bypassing the clutch switch. Verdict is still out on the t7 as far as whether fueling is affected as it is on the T12. 

I’ve done it with zero issues to run an RSC lever. Gauge cluster will no longer display ECO mode. Better when done this way so you can start it in gear. 

Thanks!  I was aware of the T12 fueling changes.  I do like the ECO display to keep me honest though.

4 hours ago, Hogan said:

The most obvious thing I noticed when shorting the clutch switch was the engine is far easier to stall. But it did not feel normal when riding either. Hard to pinpoint but it's going to be a fueling or timing change.

The best way to bypass the switch is to replace it with a relay that is triggered by the engine start button circuit. Then everything will run as normal when riding, including the ECO light. But you will still be able to start the engine in gear. So good for switch-less levers like the RSC.

Thanks!  Brilliant plan, but I would rather not add any more complexity. 

I cannot remember whether I could hear the clutch switch, like one can hear the front brake switch, but there is no discernible feedback from the clutch lever.  I will look into it and revert.