Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Did I overpack?

Alec

I'm not saying you overpacked either, but I double checked the date for April 1st!

I'm sure you'll be lots lighter next time around 

• Haha 1

How dis you manage to keep the front wheel on the ground?

This how i'm packed for a 3 week trip with camping.

Resizer_16577769065321.jpeg.bb1db3584bbbc9d087b04a2c9cffedab.jpeg

• Like 3

Well, if you had’nt of taken a tree with you, I’d have said ……………. Yes

65D451D6-1137-4BF0-A2B3-4DB1D73A4AA2.jpeg

Edited by Alf Meister
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BikeBrother said:

@Alecleave the items you did not use, home next time.

Yeah, like the what looks like a self inflating lifeboat😂. I take it it’s not a standard rear spring? 😉

So what size kitchen sink did you have packed in there?  😁   I learned long ago to follow the old adage: Take out half the stuff you packed, and then leave behind half of what's left.

My MABDR camping load from earlier this year. The top duffle was so full due to the bulky 15 degree F sleeping bag stuffed in there. 

SAM_3537.JPG.d00384aed229a5df3960f6bddd4c65d8.JPGSAM_3511.JPG.223eeaa27781194a84f0a41e992ab592.JPG

• Like 3

• Moderators

If you'd left the Gatorade bottle behind, I'd say no, but since you didn't,  yes! 😉

• Haha 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

9 hours ago, Alec said:

Just completed the NEBDR

Alec, what seat are you using? Do you recommend it for long rides?

The stock seat didn't work for me. I upgraded to a Seat Concept "Comfort Seat" and it was better, but my butt is still the limiting factor on my rides. I am looking for a better solution...

Thanks, 

Bob

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

13 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Alec, what seat are you using? Do you recommend it for long rides?

The stock seat didn't work for me. I upgraded to a Seat Concept "Comfort Seat" and it was better, but my butt is still the limiting factor on my rides. I am looking for a better solution...

Thanks, 

Bob

Bob, I have the same comfort seat that lowers the bike a little. After 8k miles it becomes even softer. I’ve been super happy and can do pretty long rides without any issues. Hope that helps!

16 hours ago, jdub53 said:

So what size kitchen sink did you have packed in there?  😁   I learned long ago to follow the old adage: Take out half the stuff you packed, and then leave behind half of what's left.

My MABDR camping load from earlier this year. The top duffle was so full due to the bulky 15 degree F sleeping bag stuffed in there. 

SAM_3537.JPG.d00384aed229a5df3960f6bddd4c65d8.JPGSAM_3511.JPG.223eeaa27781194a84f0a41e992ab592.JPG

Haha! I decided to bring a portable dishwasher! Looks like you had a solid set up! How did you like the MABDR? I plan on doing it later this fall. The NEBDR was awesome! With my overpacked T7 it was intense in certain parts. Ha!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dougie said:

Yeah, like the what looks like a self inflating lifeboat😂. I take it it’s not a standard rear spring? 😉

@DougieHaha! Oh it actually was! Preload cranked down to the max and I just hauled ass! 

21 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

How dis you manage to keep the front wheel on the ground?

This how i'm packed for a 3 week trip with camping.

Resizer_16577769065321.jpeg.bb1db3584bbbc9d087b04a2c9cffedab.jpeg

@Ray Ride4life I may have taken advantage of that and slipped the clutch for a few wheelies lol! That and enjoyed the giant backrest I created. Ha! Looks you had a packed very efficient for three weeks! After nine nights I learned lots camping in the woods. 

• Like 1

This was how I packed for the Giant Loop rally.  Tent camping, camp stove, rain gear, 1 1/2 days of food and water, plenty of cloths and toiletries.   

B50A148F-4B80-4586-82F2-E31F1EF354AD.jpeg

ED3B0E20-6F6D-45C8-96C3-DC4620242C6C.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alec said:

Haha! I decided to bring a portable dishwasher! Looks like you had a solid set up! How did you like the MABDR? I plan on doing it later this fall. The NEBDR was awesome! With my overpacked T7 it was intense in certain parts. Ha!

The MABDR is a great ride. I'm fortunate to live only 20 miles from section 5 so I get to ride varied pieces of the BDR a lot, either as long day trips or overnights. The NE and NM BDRs are on my radar for this year. Also, I've since moved on from my GCAG set-up to Nelson-Rigg Hurricane soft panniers discussed here:   

• 2 weeks later...

Ummm...........Yes.

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

• 2 months later...
On 7/13/2022 at 9:16 PM, Alec said:

Just completed the NEBDR on the T7! I have lots of riding experience but absolutely none camping. Do you think I overpacked? Feel free to roast me. My buddies called me Mt. Krumpet for being “that guy”. Needless to say, this bike is absolutely awesome and I can’t wait to tackle another adventure! Maybe with a little less next time… 🤣

EAB9B0A1-D70F-4511-884D-4ECE7476DF05.jpeg

3210C3B7-9024-43C5-9C82-45530F24BBFE.png

Were you able to keep on 2 wheels?

• 3 months later...
On 7/14/2022 at 12:16 AM, Alec said:

Just completed the NEBDR on the T7! I have lots of riding experience but absolutely none camping. Do you think I overpacked? Feel free to roast me. My buddies called me Mt. Krumpet for being “that guy”. Needless to say, this bike is absolutely awesome and I can’t wait to tackle another adventure! Maybe with a little less next time… 🤣

EAB9B0A1-D70F-4511-884D-4ECE7476DF05.jpeg

3210C3B7-9024-43C5-9C82-45530F24BBFE.png

If you rode that bike loaded in that fashion and hit all of the NEBR main route without taking any of the bypasses to avoid the tough bits my hats off to ya.   You're either really good or really tough, LOL. 

• 2 months later...