Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rearview Mirror for Standing ???

NeilW

I always stand and have to either do a full head turn to look back or sit quick to use the stock mirrors. What do you do for rearview mirror when standing?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Neil

Get one of the small doubletake mirrors that mount right to the bars for $25. 

Instagram @black_dog_moto

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

Tilt one mirror up so you can see behind when standing.  When you sit, you still have the other mirror correctly  adjusted.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, roygilbo said:

Tilt one mirror up so you can see behind when standing.  When you sit, you still have the other mirror correctly  adjusted.  

Thanks- but need both mirrors when riding to and from off road- I ride the freeway and highways where I can't stand (up) for 45-90 minutes before getting off road.

1 minute ago, NeilW said:

Thanks- but need both mirrors when riding to and from off road- I ride the freeway and highways where I can't stand (up) for 45-90 minutes before getting off road.

I understand.  But it takes less than 20 seconds to readjust it back.  It was my quick, easy and 0$ solution. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

I once saw a strangely curved mirror here:

It might work for you...

Thanks- read some reviews - still have to look straight down - again taking eyes off the bumpy road. I am thinking something made for a bicycle helmet possibly?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, roygilbo said:

I understand.  But it takes less than 20 seconds to readjust it back.  It was my quick, easy and 0$ solution. 

You are correct. It is an easy and quick $0 solution but i will have to move slightly back and loo straight down- taking my eyes off the bumpy road ahead.  I just found  a bicycle helmet mirror that looks like it has a screw clamp. I ride with adv helmets that have an open space in front of my chin where it could mount. I am going to call the manufacturer and see if they know if it has been tested at 60mph…

I have reached out this company to see if the mount and mirror ball joint will hold up to freeway wind

image.png.9a35161f9e546503366cb016def59685.png

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, NeilW said:

but i will have to move slightly back and loo straight down- taking my eyes off the bumpy road ahead.  

This is true! You do need to pick your time when to glance down.  

I use Doubletake mirrors.  

I rotate one mirror straight when I leave the road. Similar to the middle position in the pic I am attaching, but I do not adjust the arm, just the mirror. 

Allows me to glance down and look back through my armpit and see behind.  Second mirror is left as normal.  When the dirt riding is done I sit down and rotate it back to my normal position.  

Takes less than 5 seconds to adjust one way or the other.

I always take a white marker or a piece of tape and make a few marks on the arms and mirrors so I can reset them in seconds to exactly where they were and don't waste time trying to find the proper position every time I switch from on to off road.

It's not a perfect solution, but honestly I feel you don't need to look behind that much when riding off road.  

6410DD5B-3294-45E4-AEBE-A0D091404204.jpeg

3 minutes ago, williestreet said:

I use Doubletake mirrors.  

I rotate one mirror straight when I leave the road. Similar to the middle position in the pic I am attaching, but I do not adjust the arm, just the mirror. 

Allows me to glance down and look back through my armpit and see behind.  Second mirror is left as normal.  When the dirt riding is done I sit down and rotate it back to my normal position.  

Takes less than 5 seconds to adjust one way or the other.

I always take a white marker or a piece of tape and make a few marks on the arms and mirrors so I can reset them in seconds to exactly where they were and don't waste time trying to find the proper position every time I switch from on to off road.

It's not a perfect solution, but honestly I feel you don't need to look behind that much when riding off road.  

6410DD5B-3294-45E4-AEBE-A0D091404204.jpeg

Thanks for your input. I ride with one or two other friends in the dirt and the T7 generally puts me far ahead of them.  ( love the handling and acceleration)  So on the dirt I just want to see their headlight somewhere behind me- in the dirt people fall and I want to know that happened and turn around in short order.  As I said, I also stand while riding in the street and I want to know - as we all do, what's going on back there and who might be tailgating me etc. 

On 7/15/2022 at 8:48 PM, NeilW said:

I have reached out this company to see if the mount and mirror ball joint will hold up to freeway wind

image.png.9a35161f9e546503366cb016def59685.png

That looks dangerous to me! I wouldn't want to hit something with that thing attached to my helmet... nor taking the risk to do so

• Like 1

I talked to a bicycle shop that sells it and they didn't think it would hold well at 115KPH

I am trying to come up with a way to just see my riding partner's headlight behind me, not more than that. I don't want to have to look straight down to see them back there.