Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How Much Does That Thing Weigh?

TenereTragic700

From @JamesE OK, so I've had my bike on the scales and got a weight of 214kg with a full tank of fuel. Now the bike isn't standard so there are a few adjustments.

Yamaha Crash Bars +5kg (exact)

Yamaha Skid Plate +3kg (exact) but replacing the stock which I haven't weighed but I assume is about 500g, so net +2.5kg.

I haven't weighed the Lextek end can and link pipe against the stock, lets say a saving of about 2kg. 

___

I have Adventure Spec rack and pannier frame, Camel ADV tank and standard exhaust - so I am guessing about 488lb / 222kg.

I went to the 85nm spring for an earlier trip in Feb/Mar and the 95nm spring for a 10 day trip I finished last week.

image.png.5a7f4f0a125921a2e52921e826b62c30.png

When I got home I put all the stuff (crap) on the scales to see what I was carrying - 300lb / 136kg, as follows:

Me in riding gear and a backpack with 3 liters of water in it:                                                    232lb / 105kg

Kriega 18 liter side bag (left) with tools/tire spoons/wet weathers and 2 days food:  19.6lb / 8.6kg

Kriega 18 liter side bag (right) with camping gear + 1 liter of water:                                         13.4lb / 6kg 

Kriega 30 liter (top bag) clothing and work computer/power supply:                                     22lb / 10kg

Tent bag:                                                                                                                                                            7.4lb / 3.4kg

Tank bag:                                                                                                                                                          5.6lb / 2.5kg

I did not weigh the two little bags on the crash bars which have a tube in them, each.

So all up:  788lb / 358kg.  I think I felt every pound, every day.

If I dropped the camping gear I could lose 21lb, almost 10kg.

If I thinned out my tools I could drop another 2lb / 1kg - I am reluctant to do so as each time I have needed tools (other than tire spoons) it has been for someone else's bike.

If I left the work computer at home that would be another 6lb / 2.7kg

So I could take another 30lb / 14kg off the machine.

Greatest and cheapest opportunity to lessen the load would be for the rider to lose 30lb - unlikely to happen ....

Edited by TenereTragic700
  • Like 2

As a Young Buck Stud in the late 70's I took a trip, loaded such as you, on a Yamaha 1976 XS750E. 

The first adrenalin filled tip over I immediately (To get the bike back up before anyone saw) grabbed the handlebars and lifted... Low-and-behold, I bend the heck out of them picking the pig up!!

I should have listened at Sunday School...

"Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall"

(Proverbs 16:18)

Ya, I know the drill, back to the bike and lift with your legs... I am smarter these days.

Better yet, I will sit in the shade and wait for my buddys to come and help.

@TenereTragic700 that extra 30 lbs... I will challenge to you the playground teeter-totters anyday (wink)!

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

My 2022 stock skid plate weighs 725g, not sure if the earlier ones are identical.

I currently weigh 35 lbs more than when I got married 40 years ago, though only a few months ago, that was up to 50+ lbs.  Getting the T7 has been good to me in more than one way!

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

I weighed my bike at 244lb rear and 220lb front, so 464lb full tank.  Has yamaha crash bars, heated grips, fender eliminator, acherbis hand guards, tall windscreen, upgraded rear spring, Zumo XT, Phone mount.  No passenger pegs.

I plan to swap out the seat for a seatconcepts or rally seat, add a minimal rear rack, swap the battery for Li and probably replace the slip-on with a lighter one.  I'd love to get to 440lb.

@mpb1 thanks for the 464lbs - I have similar add ons and the Camel ADV tank  so I can take a few pounds off the original calculation at the beginning of this thread.

Edited by TenereTragic700

I figured just by getting the T7 I was ahead of the game but with crash bars, centre stand and saddle bags etc I must have added 20+ kg.  I see the big BMW GS bikes though and figure I'm still ahead.  When I got saddle bags I got the mosko 10L, that was to deliberately limit me in what I could carry because experience has taught me half the stuff we take we don't use anyway.  Plus the saddle bags drop the weight lower. 

I have been losing a little weight personally, and adding muscle through cycling and home gym workouts.  I don't do this for riding, but it helps to have muscle riding offroad I have discovered.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 4:37 AM, Hibobb said:

Ya, I know the drill, back to the bike and lift with your legs

I must practice this, get the neighbor to help me lay the bike down on the grass, then lift it myself.

• Like 1

Getting it down is the easy part... (wink)

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~