Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

About that exhaust pipe...

Zebco Kid

Hello All,

I am on a waiting list for my Tenere. In the meantime, I'm having good fun reading about modifications, and preparing to make them when my bike arrives. It's nice to be a bit older, and enjoy the journey (almost) as much as the destination. The wait would have driven me crazy in my younger days.

So, I have been reading about the high exhaust kits that keep the pipe out of harms way when the bike falls to the right. I contacted ADV Products today and asked if the stock muffler will work with the new pipe. The answer was no, as the new pipe is too small. I don't know much about these matters, but that seems wasteful. I don't need a new muffler...I just want to protect my bike and the poorly designed hanger that is connected to the frame.

Does anyone have a solution that will allow me to simply place the stock muffler out of the way with a different pipe configuration? 

Thank you.

ZK

Here is an example of the ADV Products solution:

IMG_4772.jpeg.be848a06fdae1a575be8eb0cd9334ca1.jpeg.96539ef5e16b70d09d581e6cf5496a24.jpeg

• Moderators

@Zebco Kid Welcome and the bike is a winner, hope you get yours sooner than later.  The muffler isn't the issue as much as is the exhaust hanger, that is essentially a part of the frame. A drop on the right side can bend and/or damage that hanger and in some cases, the frame needs to be repaired or replaced.  The Camel-ADV exhaust system reduces the oem exhaust hanger length from 9 inches down to around 4.5", which greatly reduces the leverage placed on the exhaust hanger in the event of a right side drop.  There are a number of exhaust systems available,  but close attention needs to be given as to how they mount as many still use the oem hanger.  

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I decided on pannier racks when I did a two up trip.  I really didn't want to spoil the lines or add the weight.  Now seeing as how it protects the pipe, I am happy to have it.  I can replace the racks, if ever needed, 5 times to make up the exhaust cost.  There is also a glut of OEM pipes laying around that others can never fit again...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zebco Kid said:

Hello All,

I am on a waiting list for my Tenere. In the meantime, I'm having good fun reading about modifications, and preparing to make them when my bike arrives.

Does anyone have a solution that will allow me to simply place the stock muffler out of the way with a different pipe configuration? 

I was going to keep the factory can myself too Zeb, but after I took delivery and rode it around for a month I came to hate the look, the sound, and the placement of it.  A lot of guys were buying aftermarket cans and attaching them to the hanger but that didn't make any sense to me as the hanger, as you said, is a weak spot.  For the money I went with a HP pipe and can, it wasn't that much compared to some other mods, Steering Damper, and totally transformed the look, sound, and ability to survive a fall on that side.  I'd suggest  you make plans but not do anything until you've had the bike for a month or so.

Of course If you do this mod you'll have to replace your rear OEM indicators with little LED ones, a bit of a job that requires some basic skills.

839390693_HPcan.jpg.2bc47063d17c0577c907f82a59c197f5.jpg

https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/exhausts/exhausts-1/HP-CORSE-SP-1-Short-Titanium-Exhaust-Yamaha-Tenere-700-High-Mount-1

Edited by winddown

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Zebco Kid said:

AZJW, Thank you. Do you have a solution or recommendation?

ZK

I went with the @Camel ADV Rally exhaust. It checks a lot of boxes for me.  Greatly reduces the possibility of frame/swingarm damage in a tipover, works with tons of aftermarket racks for side bags/cases, retains pillion pegs, looks and sounds great.  Ideally you'll decide which accessories you want and confirm all those parts will play well together. Brew up a pot of coffee and dig into the Parts and Upgrades Reviews and Builds and Maintenance logs sub forums and figure out how your build will look. 

Personally,  I wouldn't buy much before actually getting the bike and riding it some as your riding style will dictate what works best for you.   On the other hand, if you look through the Classified forum, you'll see parts for sale that didn't work out for that particular owner, but might work for you.

*Update: We have standard mufflers in stock again! Please be aware these units are different than the ones we were previously offering. The new muffler is all stainless steel rather than stainless with a carbon fiber...

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

8 hours ago, katana said:

I decided on pannier racks when I did a two up trip.  I really didn't want to spoil the lines or add the weight.  Now seeing as how it protects the pipe, I am happy to have it.  I can replace the racks, if ever needed, 5 times to make up the exhaust cost.  There is also a glut of OEM pipes laying around that others can never fit again...

Which pannier racks did you go with?

A local South African crowd, Rockfox.  I needed something specifically for my old Wolfman bags.  This had a nice big frame.  

Thank you all for the follow up.

Just a note...I'm involved in a number of activities...each with their own Forum on the internet. All of them are good. Generous people allowing for basic questions, repeated questions, and complicated (advanced) questions. This forum seems to be the same. Thank you for the warm welcome. Cheers.

ZK

14 hours ago, Zebco Kid said:

Hello All,

I am on a waiting list for my Tenere. In the meantime, I'm having good fun reading about modifications, and preparing to make them when my bike arrives. It's nice to be a bit older, and enjoy the journey (almost) as much as the destination. The wait would have driven me crazy in my younger days.

So, I have been reading about the high exhaust kits that keep the pipe out of harms way when the bike falls to the right. I contacted ADV Products today and asked if the stock muffler will work with the new pipe. The answer was no, as the new pipe is too small. I don't know much about these matters, but that seems wasteful. I don't need a new muffler...I just want to protect my bike and the poorly designed hanger that is connected to the frame.

Thank you.

ZK

Here is an example of the ADV Products solution:

IMG_4772.jpeg.be848a06fdae1a575be8eb0cd9334ca1.jpeg.96539ef5e16b70d09d581e6cf5496a24.jpeg

It's been a bit so I don't recall the manufacturer, but I remember seeing a cpl that had a different header and u CLD use the stock pipe. As a T-7 owner, my question wld be why do u want to use the stk pipe? It's heavy, bulky and doesn't allow the bike to breathe as well as after market. With complete system, u can save 6-8lbs