Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

High beam stopped working

MikeCMP

Question

Recently I returned from the WYBDR. I discovered that neither the flash-to-pass button  or the high beam switch, will turn on the high beam on the bike. I have cyclops aux lights, and they also do not get brighter based on the trigger. 

The high beam light in the dash also does not seem to work. Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks to me that the wires go straight into the ECU from the handle bar switch but the diagram is hard for my eyes to follow 🙂

the only related work i had done to the bike was I removed the plastic bracket under the gas tank to make it easier to access the spark plugs, and i gave the bike a wash when i got back. 

Where should I start checking? 

Mike

6 answers to this question

• Moderators

@MikeCMP I've read that the Cyclops aux lights are a plug n play installation,  but haven't seen where their harness obtains it's power and ground.   Since your aux lights are affected, I'd start by looking at that power source to see if it's related to the high beam unit. Best of luck!

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 minute ago, AZJW said:

@MikeCMP I've read that the Cyclops aux lights are a plug n play installation,  but haven't seen where their harness obtains it's power and ground.   Since your aux lights are affected, I'd start by looking at that power source to see if it's related to the high beam unit. Best of luck!

The power plugs into the aux connector, there there is a posi-tap on the high beam signal wire. Neither of those two things makes me consider them at fault, though perhaps i will remove the wire from the posi and see if there is some problem. The aux lights work as normal, they just do not get the high beam trigger like they expect, but it's possible there is some error in the harness and it could be feeding power to that posi, causing a failure. I'll check it out.

• Like 1

Take a close look at the wire tapped by the posi-tap where it is tapped by the Posi-tap. There is a small chance it broke and/or corroded at the tap location.  Posi-taps are great, until they aren’t. 

Figured it out. Traced back to the connnector, then busted out my service manual. Managed to find the common high beam wire did not have continuity. 

pulled the whole harness for that left side switchpwck and pulled back the loom, the wire rubbed and broke. Little solder and shrink wrap and all good now.

mike

• Like 2

• Moderators

@MikeCMP Good to hear.   Was the broken wire faulty from the factory or did the Posi-tap play a role in the break?  Also, was the offending connector at the headlight or the Auxiliary connector?   Thanks.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Here are some pictures - tried to post them the other day but the ipad was being odd about it. Can see the small hole where it went through the loom and severed the wire

image.jpeg.30955c8fc95bf6931931f4a483d4e064.jpegimage.jpeg.f5618924e4641c9642e344d1bb3108bb.jpegimage.jpeg.335ab9fc2be9a2955ebfc12a7a462b1d.jpegimage.jpeg.9a27c2337da8a1edf71534550be85148.jpegimage.jpeg.75780248aaa397b264a6980e583f9c23.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1