Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Front brake line strain relief

Hollybrook

Question

This keeps pulling out of my front fender.  Anyone else have the same problem or is it unique to my bike? 

20220802_121658.jpg

7 answers to this question

• Moderators

Mine did once. Re-seated it and no reoccurance, so far. You might try loosening the bracket attached to the underside of the triple clamp as it might have moved when tightened, putting some strain on that grommet/ pin connection.

If it popped out again,  my plan was to pull the fender and try a really small zip tie under there to help hold the tip in.  Might become a gathering point for mud and whatnot so that cure might cause another issue.  Could always buy a probably overpriced oem replacement and try again. 🤔 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Nope haven’t seen this happen in over 10,000 miles.  Might want to look at how the hose is mounted higher up. It sure looks like it’s pulling too hard on the grommet from the photo you posted. 

Mine did the same, if you look closely at the clip,or the part that pushes through the hole in the mud guard you will see it has two little tabs that spread out when pushing through the hole, you need to prise the tabs outward without breaking them, before reinserting the clip back into the mudguard, shouldn't move after that.

I have tried spreading out the tabs, but that didn't help.  I also have moved my fender up to the maximum allowed by the slotted screw holes, not because of this but to lower the chance of mud packing it.

This clip pulls out every time I ride the bike.  I have a center stand that I use to park the bike, so the forks are getting fully extended.

My real concern is not the strain relief, but putting excess strain on the brake lines and ultimately causing wear and a failure.  There is more tension than I like on the lines, so I may look at the upper clamp and possibly rerouting the lines.