Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear Rack for the Camel Aux Tank

PNGL

The description pretty well says it. I'm going to be buying the Camel Adv Auxiliary tank sometime in the next couple of months. More pressingly, I need a rear rack to strap a tail bag to. Does anyone happen to know which rear racks are compatible? The HeavyDuties rack would work, but they just emailed me back and said it's rated for 1.7kg. I know the Adv Spec rack will work with it, but theirs is also only rated for 7lb. My 82oz water bottle weighs damn near that. Add my MotoPumps compressor and the bag itself and we're already over the limit. 😑
I really like the Holan rear rack, but I know it won't work due to the bars that run under the tail section... the exact reason it looks way stronger than most rear racks.
Someone has to know of a tail rack that has just a little bit of ass to it and will still work with the Camel tank... Anyone?

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

• Moderators

@PNGL This thread has some pics that might help if you're considering a Camel Minimalist Rear Cargo Rack.  One post quotes a 10 lb. Limit, which might not be sufficient for your needs, but looks to be compatible with the @Camel ADV aux tank you're planning on getting.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

51 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@PNGL This thread has some pics that might help if you're considering a Camel Minimalist Rear Cargo Rack.  One post quotes a 10 lb. Limit, which might not be sufficient for your needs, but looks to be compatible with the @Camel ADV aux tank you're planning on getting.

I've seen that, but I'm not overly fond of the idea of drilling holes in my rear fender.  What I really want is the Metal Mule Rear rack but, when contacted, they told me that they discontinued all of their products for the T7.

The Metal Mule Rack that I want, but isn't even on their site anymore: IMG_1350-Medium.jpg

I've spent two weeks now scouring the internet for any and every model of rear rack that I can find for the T7 and have yet to find one that:

1. I like the look of.
  2. Isn't absurdly overpriced just because of the name of the site selling it; I've seen a couple upwards of $400. 😑
  3. Is rated for enough weight for a few simple items in a tail bag: water bottle, compressor, first aid kit, and a few simple hand tools; maybe 15ish pounds.🤷🏻‍♂️
  4. Looks like it will clear the Camel Adv Aux Tank.

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

I have a OEM rack fits well, will not fit with a T7rally.com tail tidy as the left indicator stops the tank fitting.

• Like 1

I am using the Camel Adv Aux Tank with an Adventure Spec tail rack - works well.

image.png.51918c6e77c570389eea39fef785ec85.png

And no I drink tap water, not Pellegrino - lost my water bottle and this one fit ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the CamelADV rack, and like many, was not thrilled about drilling holes in the plastic.  Now that I have it installed and used it some, I am quite happy with it.  It is strong, very clean looking and easy to tie bags onto.

If there was anything I would do to to improve it, I would make it wider, but that would spoil the looks and to be honest, the width has never held me back. 

Having crashed dirt bikes many, many times, I have been evaluating things that I put on the T700 by asking myself what would happen if that hit me really hard.  Racks like the helipad are very nice, but having a 500lb bike pin me to the ground with that sharp of an edge makes me cringe.  My worst crash ended up with me on my back with my legs jackknifed above me.  My bike landed on top of my legs from about 10' high -- luckily it was a 200lb MX bike rather than a heavy ADV bike.  I was lucky to only break off the bone that my biceps connects to and crack my shoulder blade.  It could have been a lot worse...

• Like 1

@PNGL I'm running the Camel Minimalist Rear Cargo Rack with Mosko Reckless 80l bags and it works great as an anchor point.  I believe the Minimalist works with Camel's aux tank.  It does have a weight limit so you can't plan on carrying a lot of gear strapped down on it, but it functions well for a mount point of your soft luggage.  It looks pretty good installed. 

Pics show Reckless attachment and side view where your aux tank would mount.

Cheers. 

PXL_20220724_010700382.jpg

PXL_20220724_001008573_2.jpg

Edited by 1wdrive
  • Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
On 8/4/2022 at 8:18 AM, AZJW said:

The 10lb weight limit is to discourage the use of coffin sized top boxes that are cantilevered 12" off the back of the rack. People mount stuff like this, then snap rear racks and post pics about the rack failing. We haven't had it happen (yet) but I've seen countless posts slamming other manufacturer's racks on T7s (and other bikes).

Are you carrying soft bags? You can carry more than 10lbs.
Are you riding smooth paved roads only? You can carry more than 10lbs

Are you carrying a  1 gallon gas can strapped to the very back and ride thousands of miles of washboard gravel roads? Stick with 10lbs max.
Did you buy a new fridge from Home Depot and want to carry it home on your bike? Buy someone else's rack.

Common sense prevails.

• Like 2

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

Motorcycle carrying a lot of stuff overloaded, Cameroon Africa.

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~