Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New muffler/exhaust system

Eatfat1961

I'm a new T700 owner with only about 1500 miles on so far. I'm NOT the extreme off-road, adventurer that some of you obviously are. I'm also 60 years old and am NOT looking for a super loud exhaust, but find the stock unit a bit quieter than I had hoped for. Any suggestions for a muffler/exhaust that should deep & throaty and has a little more pop that the OEM without being obnoxious?  Appreciate the help.

I love my MIVV Dakar.
A nice growl when under load but nice and quit in low steady rpm.

If I were you I’d look at the mufflers that use the stock pipe routing and hanger. I decided on a system that reroutes the pipe in case I drop the bike. But I found out there are lots of different mufflers with different sounds at way different price points, and apparently it is hard to compare recordings for sound. I think all of them are louder though, and some have removable baffles that change the sound. There’s a guy on You Tube “Big Rock Moto” who raved and raved about the sound of the Akrapovic (?) so you can hear that one there.

Edited by Husafreak

storm [ also a mivv exaust but its the b version] 

love it to bits. 

light. grunts when you want. not to loud. and cheap

old photo.

IMG_20211102_154825.jpg.4ffb68d4b923128d7aca04e8ff2ee5da.jpg

• Moderators

@Eatfat1961Camel-adv is an approved vendor here on the forum who makes bulletproof stuff and his Rally exhaust fits the parameters you described.   I was in the same boat, as besides the oem one having that possible frame bending hanger way out there in the breeze, the muffler was too quiet for my taste.  The supplied muffler with the Camel Rally pipe sounds great with a little more bark and rumble, but not very loud and certainly not obnoxious plus the mount helps mitigate the hanger issue.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Just leaving this here for interest...  I passed a few hundred sheep on Friday.  They each only bolted when I got almost exactly 90 degrees to them.  This is on the stock pipe.  It really is quiet.

The HPcorse short version has less decibel then oem rally akra, but still a nice rumble. And it is high position built, so better protected if the bike fall on right side.

IMG_20211123_103316734.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, katana said:

Just leaving this here for interest...  I passed a few hundred sheep on Friday.  They each only bolted when I got almost exactly 90 degrees to them.  This is on the stock pipe.  It really is quiet.

• Quiet is good👍
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

The HPcorse short version has less decibel then oem rally akra, but still a nice rumble. And it is high position built, so better protected if the bike fall on right side.

IMG_20211123_103316734.jpg

Plus it looks gorgeous, I especially the re-routed pipe shape and the titanium finish.

Nice sound but not loud.

+1 for the CamelADV exhaust.  The Rally bend sounds like a good fit for you. 

I have the enduro version that shares the same muffler and it is about as quiet as the stock muffler.  With the dB killer removed (one screw) it is a bit noisier but sounds absolutely fantastic. 

Besides the excellent quality and routing that protects the exhaust system, the diameter of the tubing seems to be larger than the other vendors that I looked at and it doesn't neck down after the mid-pipe. CamelADV is a great vendor to work with.  Their customer service is exemplary, something you don't fond very often anymore. 

I'll second the HP pipe, it's totally practical and really tidies the back of the bike up.

pipe.jpg.c75af431a7804f6a7a9b3abb742204ba.jpg

Edited by winddown
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 6:27 AM, Eatfat1961 said:

I'm a new T700 owner with only about 1500 miles on so far. I'm NOT the extreme off-road, adventurer that some of you obviously are. I'm also 60 years old and am NOT looking for a super loud exhaust, but find the stock unit a bit quieter than I had hoped for. Any suggestions for a muffler/exhaust that should deep & throaty and has a little more pop that the OEM without being obnoxious?  Appreciate the help.

Just to add more confusion and choice to the mix, the oval carbon Delkevic pipe sounds absolutely amazing with the baffle amount on stock headers. It is a little naughty on de cat headers but oh so addictive!

Here's   what you want. You have a choice whether to keep the in the restrictor. I prefer mine in.

IMG_1861.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

Please - listen on good speakers or good headphones.....  I really like the sound of this Arrow muffler!!!!!   If you listen on dime - sized speakers in a  smart phone / laptop / tablet , you will not get the audio delicacy...  the ear candy right here.  Enjoy.

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid

I have the MaxTorqueCans full exhaust on my T7. If you get the "Street Legal" version, it comes with a removable baffle that quietens it down a good bit. With the baffle it's a bit louder than stock, but way throatier and deeper sounding. Also, if you get the Carbon Fiber can, as I did, it should remove about 9-10lb adding the full exhaust. They say the exhaust adds 3hp, but I've yet to see a dyno sheet to prove it. It did certainly add some noticeable power though, especially mid-range power. Throttling up 1st gear wheelies became a good bit easier and smoother.🤷🏻‍♂️🤣😂

• Like 1

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

I think my oem can got a bit louder over time, so you might just want to try and keep it for let's say 2500km and then make up your mind if it's enough 😉