Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Shock Swaps

DizzyNick

I would like to start a list of compatible shocks that can be swapped into the Tenere 700. Reasons for wanting to swap shocks are to increase suspension travel and for more aggressive handling. I have compared the shock on my YZ250X and it does not use the same "fork type" mount at the lower end of he shock. 

The KX450F and CRF450 both use a similar lower mount. If anyone has one of these bikes, or something else that might fit, could you try swapping the shock to the T7? 

If you swap only the shock and not the forks as well the bike will become twitchy...it will be unbalanced. You need to increase the travel in front as well.

1 hour ago, al700 said:

If you swap only the shock and not the forks as well the bike will become twitchy...it will be unbalanced. You need to increase the travel in front as well.

I'm aware, and I already have a plan for that

my ducati desert sled has a very similar shock. don‘t know the exact dimensions yet. 

will check out later.

regards,

wolf

The Tenere 700 rear shock has more adjustability options than the stock Ducati Desert Sled shock. I owned one. For the Tenere 700 is available an Ohlins rear shock fully adjustable...Go for Ohlins rear shock and Ohlins front fork system... 

• Like 1

Let us know when the Ohlins front fork suspension for the Tenere 700 is available and how much it costs...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, al700 said:

So what is your plan?

Swap the front forks and wheel assembly from my YZ250X after I get a new one next year. Run a single front oversized rotor. Machine the T7 triples and wheel spacers to fit, or, swap in the YZ triples if the head bearings are compatible. Remount the wheel speed sensor.

Once I have determined the usable wheel travel of the rear suspension(limited by the rear fender at full compression, and swingarm angle at full droop), I will shorten the stroke of the forks to match. I'm hoping to achieve 10" of wheel travel front and rear. Yes the bike will be taller, but I will also have more rider sag and a vastly superior suspension system that comes a lot closer to that of the YZ I am accustomed to.

For the naysayers, here's some proof of concept; the same surgery performed on an africa twin.

• Like 2