Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Front brake lever travel question

racer514

Is it just mine or is the T7 front brake lever travel quite far before the brakes begin to work?   Some could say it's mushy but it has good pressure, just after a long pull of the lever.

I have a lot of bikes, all Yamahas, and find I have to pull the lever in too far before the T7 begins braking.  I tried an aftermarket lever but found all that does is give me more adjustments how far out the lever starts but doesn't change the fact that it has to pull in more than a full inch before you feel any brake pressure.  I compare it to my Tracer sitting right next to it and you can feel pressure on that front brake in less than a 1.2 inch.

It feels a touch better after I bleed it but not much and the brake pressure itself, once it activates, feels plenty strong.

It might be that this is my first true ADV bike (I had a Super Tenere a few years ago and those brakes were fine) but everything else I have is full street (plus a WR450) and thats the way they are supposed to be but I have ridden a LOT of bikes of all genres and never had this feeling before.

Anyone with a T7 on the central coast of California (im in Paso) who has a brake lever I can squeeze (there is a joke in there somewhere but that was not the intent...lol).

Heck, anyone in this area that likes to ride combo street/dirt?  Most of my riding buddies are all street also.

Thanks in advance,

You might use a dial/digital indicator and check your runout of your two front rotors. I believe the spec is 0.006" max.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators

@racer514Try a velcro strap to put pressure on the front brake lever overnight.  It helped on my son's KTM that had a bit of a spongy feel to it and that procedure apparently got any errant air bubbles out as it was better the next morning. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

The brakes on my T7 do not act as you describe.

I have also had a Super Tenere and my T7 front brake has a similar feel.  

I do not know how long you have had your bike, but I would highly recommend cleaning the rotors and pads with brake cleaner.

Brake rotors are sometimes  sprayed with a corrosion inhibitor to prevent surface rust during shipment to manufactures and then onwards to the customer.

My bike had a slightly mushy feel when delivered.  A good cleaning with brake cleaner and a rag on both front and rear rotors fixed the issue.  

• Like 2

I have noticed the same thing actually. Brake works well but does seem like Im pulling the lever in further than my DRZ. Feel is not bad or spongy to me just a longer pull part of which I just attributed to the super long stock levers.

Yes, Exactly.  I will first try braided lines but I have a feeling it is the design of the master.  If Yamaha dealers actually had any in stock, I would go check one out.

On 8/18/2022 at 2:05 AM, Hogan said:

Sounds normal to me. Normal for a dirt bike anyway. I'd say the T7 is a little more spongy than your average dirt bike, but in general the feel is intentionally vague so as to make it more difficult to brake hard on loose surfaces.

This!

I have read more than once that Yamaha did this by design so that the brakes had a softer initial bite for riding on dirt vs a hard initial bite that would easily lock up the wheels.

My old Gen1 KLR had a small single disk and wimpy caliper and weighed only 30 or so pounds less than the T7 does.  l always claimed it had factory ABS. LOL In hard stops on blacktop the only time I could get close to locking up the front wheel was in the rain. On dirt the brakes were an excellent balance between stopping power and not locking up the brakes.  

Edited by Simmons1
  • Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

35 minutes ago, Simmons1 said:

This!

I have read more than once that Yamaha did this by design so that the brakes had a softer initial bite for riding on dirt vs a hard initial bite that would easily lock up the wheels.

My old Gen1 KLR had a small single disk and wimpy caliper and weighed only 30 or so pounds less than the T7 does.  l always claimed it had factory ABS. LOL In hard stops on blacktop the only time I could get close to locking up the front wheel has in the rain. On dirt the brakes were an excellent balance between stopping power and not locking up the brakes.  

You just gave me a great idea.  I just ordered an MT07 Master Cylinder.  We have a bunch of these at the school and I have no problem with the front brake lever feel.  - Thank you for the comment.  Stay tuned.

• Like 1

They sure are different part numbers.

Interested to see what your feedback will be.

Edited by Simmons1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

I see the guy suggesting a strap on the leaver overnight didn't get much response but he's right.

What I'd do:

* Remove calipers one at a time.

* Pump pistons out and lever back in all the way to make sure youpush any air out calipers back into system. 

* turn bars to left and pump lever until solid felling returns.

* pull lever in tight and strap into place.  Leave over night.

Should be good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have no complaints about the front brake. Its the rear I can't seem get and keep a firm brake lever with.  The MT07 and T7 do use the same rear master cylinder.

• 11 months later...
On 8/25/2022 at 12:06 AM, racer514 said:

You just gave me a great idea.  I just ordered an MT07 Master Cylinder.  We have a bunch of these at the school and I have no problem with the front brake lever feel.  - Thank you for the comment.  Stay tuned.

How did you go with the MT07 Master Cylinder? I have the same feeling as you describe and I'd love to know if this worked.

Disappointing.  My next trick is to start playing with shims behind the brake pads.  It must be something with the volume of fluid in these calipers.

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2022 at 2:57 AM, racer514 said:

Is it just mine or is the T7 front brake lever travel quite far before the brakes begin to work?   Some could say it's mushy but it has good pressure, just after a long pull of the lever.

One of my first mods was womet shorty levers, the factory levers are 1970's era junk IMO.  From memory one issue was the long pull you are describing.  I have no idea on what aftermarket levers you used but perhaps they were of a much different design.  As mentioned above though, the brake is tailored to not lock up easily on the dirt, but having said that I can pull the T7 up super fast on the tarmac.  Try bleeding the brakes perhaps?

Edited by winddown