Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Odd Engine noise?

winddown

Mine sounds exactly the same.  Engine usually starts to make all kinds of mechanical noises when oil gets warmed up and thins out. I'd say it's perfectly normal.

In the old aircooled days if the mechanical noises were too much to handle, answer was 15w50. Thicker oil less noise. Now days with watercooled engines I've just accepted the fact that unless you want to make your ears bleed with very loud pipe, you just need to get used to all those clinks, clanks and knocks that you hear loud and clear over the actual exhaust sounds... 😱

• Moderators

@winddown Agreed, it does "sound" a bit noisy, but difficult to assess from a audio clip.  If you don't have a stethoscope,  you can improvise with a long screwdriver.  Put your thumb on the end, put it up to your ear and touch various points on the engine to see if you can determine where it is the loudest. Best of luck and let us know what you learn.

I side with @witgen, it's probably normal, but if it's changed or getting louder, that is when you'll probably want to investigate. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

What happens when you pull the clutch.
My VFR (and my previous one too) is like a Ducati when it comes to the clutch but is is just dampened in the oil making it less dramatic as the dry Ducati clutches.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

What happens when you pull the clutch.

No change.  I'm probably just being an old woman,

38 minutes ago, Eric W. said:

Sounds normal.  

Good, I won't worry about it.  The reason I never heard it before was I was always wearing earplugs but I didn't the other day.  My BMW rr sounds like it's about to explode!  I took it to the dealer back in the day and the head mechanic said it was one of the better ones he'd heard.  I suppose if I'd wanted quiet bikes I should have bought Hondas lol.

Cheers.

12 hours ago, winddown said:

Good, I won't worry about it.  The reason I never heard it before was I was always wearing earplugs but I didn't the other day.  My BMW rr sounds like it's about to explode!  I took it to the dealer back in the day and the head mechanic said it was one of the better ones he'd heard.  I suppose if I'd wanted quiet bikes I should have bought Hondas lol.

Cheers.

I remember when I heard my first kawasaki. I was planning to buy the bike but backed out because engine sounded like there was something loose inside. Afterwards I discussed the issue with a mechanic. He laughed at me and told that when kawasaki engines stop sounding like cement mixer filled with nuts and bolts, it's time to worry...

One time my friend, who only had owned Hondas, took my dry clutch ducati for a spin. I was at work and he was just going to grab my bike from my garage. Suddenly I got a call. He had parked beside the road convinced that the engine was about to blow up and there was definitely something wrong with the engine. I drove there, started the engine. Everything sounds normal. All the familiar knocks, klanks and other disturbing noises are there. Rev a little, pull the clutch. Nope. All normal sounds. I turn it off  and I look at my friend who has terrified look in his face. "You heard that right? That is definitely not normal. Engine shouldn't sound like that".  It took me a while to convince him that all the sounds were normal Ducati sounds and there really was nothing to worry about. Few years back he bought KTM after half a dozen Hondas. That lasted about a year. Later he confessed that the bike itself was great. It was noises that he couldn't bear. He was always convinced that there was something wrong in the engine and never truly trusted the bike. Now he's a happy owner of a honda again 😁

But of course it's always good to listen out the engine with a sensitive ear. Sudden changes are usually bad. Gradual changes usually not so bad especially when oil change time is at hand. In my experience, many bikes there is a big difference with mechanical sounds between old and new oils. 

A mate recons that it's possibly the grade of oil they put in at the service.  A thinner oil for winter,  I'll change it out for a heavier grade just as an experiment .

• 11 months later...
On 8/16/2022 at 2:16 PM, winddown said:

My bike is at 2000km and on startup it's quiet as, but after a short ride it sounds like the cams are suss or something?  A short vid is linked below, any opinions/experience appreciated.

https://mega.nz/file/NbJnUYhR#mTHTmm-SK3axd9bISzQRP-XCjLp_oE3DuBUGaXRy9p8

Sound like mine! I was going nuts too about that ticking sound, but i see that it's normal.

Cheers

The rpm dependent whir or wine heard when you move the camera to the right side of the motor is normal & caused by the type of cam chain tensioner Yamaha uses. After the break-in period my dealer used Yamaha's 10/40 fully synthetic & found that the motor displayed a similar character of increased motor clatter when hot...after switching to triple ester based fully synthetic 10/50 oils it quietened down some & provides longer service life before shifting starts to deteriorate (had the same experience with my 2014 Super Tenere). Recordings are difficult to capture noises accurately, however, it sounds somewhat typical of the CP2 motor, which has an enviable reliability record.  If concerned & because it is a new bike you could take it to your dealer & have them document it & if it changes for the worse in the future you stand a better chance with Yamaha for assistance. Not being familiar with the CP2 motor I took my bike back to the dealer & was able to listen to another T7s & other Yamahas that use the same type of cam chain tensioner & they all made similar noise, just varying in intensity from motor to motor. 

Maxima%2BExtr5a%2B4%2B15w%2B50%2BFully%2

Yamaha Tenere 700, Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ES, Ride Reviews

Edited by prowlnS10

Yeah it's normal, I was a bit paranoid back then.  I think we all get a bit paranoid when we buy a new bike and it has a "noise"  The only solution I could imagine would be to just leave it parked in the garage and look at it from time to time 😄

32 minutes ago, winddown said:

Yeah it's normal, I was a bit paranoid back then.  I think we all get a bit paranoid when we buy a new bike and it has a "noise"  The only solution I could imagine would be to just leave it parked in the garage and look at it from time to time 😄

Wear earplugs all the time and you never notice those noises.  Makes for a much more relaxing ride as well.

• Like 2

I don't notice any noise like that either. Is the motor smooth when riding? I would expect vibration if there was an issue.