Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Soft & sticky side stand

razteo

I find the spring side stand on my 2022 T7 to be weak.

If I move the bike around the garage and I touch the stand just a little bit or if it touches the ground, it will go up or move backwards dangerously quick. I almost dropped the bike few times because of that. I have several bikes, and owned many more in my life, never experienced this kind of “soft” side stand..

Sorry if this is a repost – I did researched and couldn’t find anything about that.

Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas how to fix it? Not sure if a “harder” spring will do it..

Never thought mine went up unexpectedly, but I have a Camel ADV spring. Love the spring!! 

• Like 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

1 hour ago, Hibobb said:

Never thought mine went up unexpectedly, but I have a Camel ADV spring. Love the spring!! 

+1 for the @Camel ADVheavy duty spring. This one is a must imho.

I think it's important to ensure the side stand is completely folded out, it doesn't really "snap" into it's "out" position.

But according to my experience with this spring, it doesn't go up by a slight touch.

• Like 1

I'd replaced the weak OEM spring with a stronger one from Rally Raid, and then managed to break that one in a boneheaded move. Fortunately I'd kept the OEM spring and reinstalled it, and couldn't believe the back to back difference between the two.

Just received my new CamelAdv spring in the mail today, and it's even beefier than the one from RR. Most likely (hopefully) even I can't break this one.

• Like 1

+3 for the camel cure. Holds it far better in both the open & closed positions 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hogan said:

I had the opposite problem. When new, the stand was stiff and would stick in pretty much any position.

Greasing it helped, and subsequently removing the safety switch means it now swings up with the lightest of touch.

I prefer it that way.

I think you still had the soft spring like the rest of us, but the stand was too tight when new and it will make it feel sticky. However, I prefer it sticky like that than soft and jumpy..