Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Small coolant leak

thruster

I get a small coolant leak which comes out of this hole (maybe a weep hole). Do you all have the same hole up above the water pump on right side (clutch) or is the a manufacting defect on the cover?

20220820_084524.jpg

Not a great photo, but it appears that you have protective covers on the engine and that the leak is not from the weep hole, but the gasket surface. Did you install a water pump cover?

• Moderators
6 hours ago, katana said:

Not a great photo, but it appears that you have protective covers on the engine and that the leak is not from the weep hole, but the gasket surface. Did you install a water pump cover?

Good catch. That would be my guess as well and double checking the torque on those water pump cover bolts, would be my first move.

Moved this thread from General Discussion. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Yes I installed the protective cover. Took it off to see if it was coming from the bolts but as far as I can tell it looks more like the weep hole. Reinstalled the cover with loctite and will see if it still leaks. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/21/2022 at 6:48 AM, thruster said:

Yes I installed the protective cover. Took it off to see if it was coming from the bolts but as far as I can tell it looks more like the weep hole. Reinstalled the cover with loctite and will see if it still leaks. 

Did that fix the issue?

1 minute ago, thruster said:

No still leaks. It's not enough to worry about. 

I noticed that mine has a very slight leak after I installed my engine case covers too

If it is a weep hole then it is probably from the mechanical seal on the pump.

I would be concerned if it was oil.

My F800GS had an intermittent leak from the water pump seal and never proved an issue.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.