Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Should I replace my Clutch Cable?

Oxxa

Hello everyone!

The clutch cable was rubbing against the barkbusters and got damaged, the previous owner put electrical tape as seen in attached images.

Should I replace the whole set?

Thank you

6B8C3E51-D43B-497C-BB70-FFDB78CF534A.jpeg

F813687A-6973-4720-9947-37BAB347F979.jpeg

I also wouldn't tend to replace it. Mine's installed similarly and I simply tied it firmly down so it wouldn't rub.

13 minutes ago, Redbikejohn said:

Can't see but most likely only the outer plastic sheath. So no.

Owners manual says it can result in internal rust

DE6B7EB4-C25B-453C-97E8-DD321A2645A1.png

Can! But that's why the electrical tape is applied.
Warnings like this are playing with the feelings of the owners making them spend money on parts that are often not needed.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'd say it can rust some time before it's getting dangerous. You'll notice a more difficult movement when operating your clutch lever if it begins to rust but you can still apply some oil and go on...

You could take it off and cover it with some heat shrink. Some heat shrink has internal glue too to make it extra sealed.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Redbikejohn said:

You could take it off and cover it with some heat shrink. Some heat shrink has internal glue too to make it extra sealed.

Very interesting. What size of heat shrink tube do you think would work best for this scenario

Measure cable outer diameter. 

Buy heatshrink to match.

Heatshrink should be listed in before and after size ie 'shrinks down to'.  Some have high shrinkage some not so much.  You just need to make sure it fits over end connectors and that it shrinks down enough, although I don't think that'll be an issue. 

Had the same issue, on top of putting some electric tape on the cable, filed with a small file the edge of the handguard mounting to make it smoother in this location.

Id just plan to replace it as a winter project this year or next, nothing urgent unless the feeling of the pull changes or is becoming more difficult.

Try riding without a clutch and you will then understand why should replace the cable now. How much does one cost? Bugger all.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

This is me

Order the clutch cable and see if you can see actual cable thru the cut

If yes, then replace

If no, electrical tap & wrap around with some thin rubber (I use bicycle tube as it is also powdered for sliding)

47 minutes ago, TimmyTheHog said:

This is me

Order the clutch cable and see if you can see actual cable thru the cut

If yes, then replace

If no, electrical tap & wrap around with some thin rubber (I use bicycle tube as it is also powdered for sliding)

I can only see the metal protective barrier of the cable that is under the plastic layer. Not the cable itself

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 8:42 PM, Redbikejohn said:

Can't see but most likely only the outer plastic sheath. So no.

Yes it’s only the outer plastic that has the metal protective barrier under

you dont have to. just make shure you tighten it with somthing. like electrical tape.  than grace your cable. that's it

39 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

I can only see the metal protective barrier of the cable that is under the plastic layer. Not the cable itself

Then tape & wrap it up with some rubber then call it good.

Clutch cables for the T7 are inexpensive. I would definitely change it. The clutch pull can get really stiff  if the cable isn’t perfect or any dirt gets in the housing. 

• 1 month later...

Electrical tape is a terrible cable protector. If it's just scuffed, no big deal. If it's really wearing through, replace it. A couple wraps of gorilla tape are on mine and its pretty well bullet proof. Doing this with tape is a proactive, sacrificial layer, not a fix. 

• Like 1