Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

No swingarm spools - drives me nuts

razteo

How do you guys lift the bike up for maintenance, cleaning & stuff without using the center stand?

I am used with having swingarm spools (on anything except dirt bikes) and I don’t want to add the center stand because I want to keep the weight to a minimum.

Please let me know how you do it, I appreciate your input.

34 minutes ago, gnortz said:

cales-de-roues-bequille-arriere-de-moto-rouge.jpg

Thanks - I have something like this (very similar that came with some of my bike stands) I used it once, but because of the steep angle of the swing arm, the bike is sliding down on it, can't keep it for longer than a few minutes, especially f is wet (cleaning the bike), etc...

Edited by razteo

I tried a couple different options, but neither has made me happy.

First was the R&G spools that go through the center of the rear axle. Can't loosen the nut however with them installed or adjust the chain.

rg.cr0079bk.jpg

Get your KTM 790 adventure accessories now like these cotton reel swingarm spools. They keep rear-end components from hitting the ground during a fall.

Next i tried these attached to the adjuster blocks, but I still can't loosen the nut or support the bike while changing tires;

I carry this while riding;

adv_og_logo.png

After dealing with my own and my riding buddies flat tires, chain maintenance and other problems on our dual sport rides I looked for a jack stand that...

and have used it in the garage for practice. I also carry one on my KLX250.

I understand the 2022 bike's swing arms are threaded for spools. Anyone totaled one yet?

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 11:48 AM, norton73 said:

I tried a couple different options, but neither has made me happy.

I understand the 2022 bike's swing arms are threaded for spools. Anyone totaled one yet?

Thank you for sharing your experience.  My 2022 doesn't have any place to put the spools.. 

I also tried a aftermarket set of spools that went thru the center of wheel rear axle, but the rod was made from aluminum and it shredded under the weight of the bike, almost dropped in the garage when lifting it up - see attached pic.

IMG_2351.jpg

Edited by razteo
  • Like 1

I use my motorcycle jack under the skid plate. I was surprised to see it didnt have a place for spools too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

I use my motorcycle jack under the skid plate. I was surprised to see it didnt have a place for spools too. 

Can you show us what jack you're using? You have the OEM skid plate or after market? I have the OEM and feels very thin.. Thanks. 

• Moderators

Here's what I use. I believe I sourced it on Amazon.   Edit: Here's the link.

20200903_121420.jpg

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

2 minutes ago, razteo said:

Can you show us what jack you're using? You have the OEM skid plate or after market? I have the OEM and feels very thin.. Thanks. 

Its similar to that one but yes, I have an outback motorex skid plate 

60536_W3.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Here's what I use. I believe I sourced it on Amazon.   Edit: Here's the link.

20200903_121420.jpg

That looks good & as expensive as the spools...

Do you have to remove the skid plate before lifting it up?

• Moderators

@razteo I don't.   Owners manual might not totally agree, but I've got a Camel-ADV Gut Guard, which I believe is made of Kryptonite. 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, razteo said:

Thank you for sharing your experience.  My 2022 doesn't have any place to put the spools.. 

I also tried a aftermarket set of spools that went thru the center of wheel rear axle, but the rod was mad from aluminum and it shredded under the weight of the bike, almost dropped in the garage when lifting it up - see attached pic.

IMG_2351.jpg

My 21 has threaded holes for 6mm bobbins 

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 1:58 PM, Lewie said:

My 21 has treaded holes for 6mm bobbins 

Really?? Where? Can you show me please? Thank you. 

Edited by razteo

My USA 2021 doesn't have the tapped holes. I am guessing it is a european thing...

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

15 hours ago, razteo said:

How do you guys lift the bike up for maintenance, cleaning & stuff without using the center stand?

I am used with having swingarm spools (on anything except dirt bikes) and I don’t want to add the center stand because I want to keep the weight to a minimum.

Please let me know how you do it, I appreciate your input.

There was some chain block on flea bay I seen that are extended out the back and have pick up spools for stand use.

6e499b6970b48770e6b8a43c5641cfc2_600x600

Feature:1: Hard anodized for a protective finish,durable in use and not easy to fade or rust.2: Aftermarket parts, for...

Edited by Buggy Nate
  • Like 1

Hi
This is China goods. If you want to tighten the chain or remove the rear wheel, these parts are not suitable.

• Like 1

There seem to be lots of methods, but none are as secure or practical as the center stand are they.  I think the weight factor is overrated too, in fact because the weight is so low it is a good thing I believe.  Nothing beats it out on the road and even in the garage at home.  You can work on the front just as easily too if you pile some weight on the rear seat and then chock under the bashplate.  Considering I only ride decent gravel roads and blacktop I think it's the most practical mod I've made.  How many here really do the technical stuff where ounces matter?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, winddown said:

the technical stuff where ounces matter

As you are an Aussie, I am aghast at your answer.

Center stands weigh 10-15 pounds, that equates to 12-19 beers, or almost 1/2 way to Ayers Rock!!

Edited by Hibobb
  • Haha 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

17 hours ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

Its similar to that one but yes, I have an outback motorex skid plate 

60536_W3.jpg

I use this same stand under my T7's  ACD Racing aluminum skid plate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, winddown said:

There seem to be lots of methods, but none are as secure or practical as the center stand are they.  I think the weight factor is overrated too, in fact because the weight is so low it is a good thing I believe.  Nothing beats it out on the road and even in the garage at home.  You can work on the front just as easily too if you pile some weight on the rear seat and then chock under the bashplate.  Considering I only ride decent gravel roads and blacktop I think it's the most practical mod I've made.  How many here really do the technical stuff where ounces matter?

You are probably absolutely right, however I hate that thing hanging down there 🙂  I did some single trails with my (way more) skilled friend on his Tuareg 660 who makes everything look so easy when following him and the clearance also can be an issue when running in some boulders, but your points are absolutely spot on and it won't make any difference given the advantages that you gain with the center stand.

You need to know I owned some bikes that came factory with center stands and I removed it just because I don't like them (but they had swingarm spools).  So is probably something wrong with me.. 

Edited by razteo
  • Like 1

Anyone got a bent swing arm? If one was available, someone could section it and figure out a good place to drill and thread holes for spools.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, norton73 said:

Anyone got a bent swing arm? If one was available, someone could section it and figure out a good place to drill and thread holes for spools.

Do you think they redesigned the swinging are for the euro 21 model like mine ?

DAAD880D-9B48-4794-A58B-F8FB4EC739A7.jpeg

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 10:06 AM, Lewie said:

Do you think they redesigned the swinging are for the euro 21 model like mine ?

From what I know there are 2 factories that make the T7 - one in Japan, and one in France. Maybe that is a factor too.

My 2022 US model T7 is made in Japan. Where is yours made?

Edited by razteo