Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha Low Seat, has anyone tried one?

Tazmool

• Premium Member

Hello Everyone, 

I'm putting together a list of a few things I'd like to get for my pre-ordered Tenere 700. 
The Yamaha Low Seat seems like something I'd like to get together with the bike. 

Has anyone tried the Yamaha Low seat? 
Its supposed to be a tad harder than the regular seat? 
Is it comfortable?  (is it better, worse, same as the regular one?)
Is it worth it? 

Thanks!
Tazmool

I got the bike with the lowering kit...the low seat seems like there is no seat at all. By hand feels hard like a piece of wood, plank

but riding for 40-45 mins it did not bother me or felt uncomfortable. When I ride more than couple hours non stop I will report back...

Edited by al700

On 12/25/2019 at 7:13 AM, Tazmool said:

Hello Everyone, 

I'm putting together a list of a few things I'd like to get for my pre-ordered Tenere 700. 
The Yamaha Low Seat seems like something I'd like to get together with the bike. 

Has anyone tried the Yamaha Low seat? 
Its supposed to be a tad harder than the regular seat? 
Is it comfortable?  (is it better, worse, same as the regular one?)
Is it worth it? 

Thanks!
Tazmool

Have you tried the bike with stock seat?  A lot of people are in another thread seem to be ok with the bike as it is... because of the narrow shape... I am on the opposite side of things ... trying to figure out if I should take the plunge on a rally seat...😊

56 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Have you tried the bike with stock seat?  A lot of people are in another thread seem to be ok with the bike as it is... because of the narrow shape... I am on the opposite side of things ... trying to figure out if I should take the plunge on a rally seat...😊

I've got the rally seat and bar risers and felt like it was so much better. I am quite tall at 6ft 3, but I felt much more like I was bossing the bike rather than sitting "in it". And the bar risers are perfect standing up off road. Cheers

Rich

Just now, Rich TT said:

I've got the rally seat and bar risers and felt like it was so much better. I am quite tall at 6ft 3, but I felt much more like I was bossing the bike rather than sitting "in it". And the bar risers are perfect standing up off road. Cheers

Rich

Is it more comfortable or just as hard and taller? I'll have to try one tomorrow if the dealer has one as I'm taking the bike for the first service 🙂

I think it's more comfortable too. To be fair I only did the first 20 miles on the standard seat and then swapped.

I instantly liked it so much better. Plus I like the fact it comes off in one go with just the key and there's more storage for tools. Pricey mind! But worth it.

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Hmm...
Interesting input.  Perhaps I will just wait and see how the bike feels and rides with the stock seat before making any decisions.
I only got to sit on the Yamaha fall launch tour T7 that made its rounds in Canada, and the seat did not feel bad, just a little tall.  To flat foot, I had to shift my weight to one side or the other, and could get one foot planted.  With both feet on the ground, I could only get the balls of my feet on the ground.   

In comparison, the T7 felt MUCH better than the outgoing Africa Twin (which is waaay too tall for me, unless the Honda low seat is on it) and the KTM 790R felt similar, and even with the 790 "non-R" seat on the R, still seemed taller than the T7, but not by much.

The bike did feel very light (which is exactly what I'm after) so maybe the geometry will grow on me. 
My previous ADV bike (VFR1200X) was also tall, but very heavy (640lbs+) which really put me off, after a season with it I was ready to trade it in. 

Tazmool

• 4 months later...
On 1/1/2020 at 5:51 PM, Tazmool said:

Hmm...
Interesting input.  Perhaps I will just wait and see how the bike feels and rides with the stock seat before making any decisions.
I only got to sit on the Yamaha fall launch tour T7 that made its rounds in Canada, and the seat did not feel bad, just a little tall.  To flat foot, I had to shift my weight to one side or the other, and could get one foot planted.  With both feet on the ground, I could only get the balls of my feet on the ground.   

In comparison, the T7 felt MUCH better than the outgoing Africa Twin (which is waaay too tall for me, unless the Honda low seat is on it) and the KTM 790R felt similar, and even with the 790 "non-R" seat on the R, still seemed taller than the T7, but not by much.

The bike did feel very light (which is exactly what I'm after) so maybe the geometry will grow on me. 
My previous ADV bike (VFR1200X) was also tall, but very heavy (640lbs+) which really put me off, after a season with it I was ready to trade it in. 

Tazmool

How do you like the low seat?  Comfortable enough?  Improvement over the stock?

Does the regular stock seat have only one default height?  My bike has not come in yet, so I can not check.  I know the Africa Twin stock seat has 2.

• Premium Member

Yuba, 
The regular stock seat only has the one height setting as far as I can tell, and the low seat is the same, just one setting (no rubbers to be flipped or moved) 

Petebcca, 
I only have the one ride in on my bike so far, and its on the low seat (just sitting on my bike I definitely wanted to go straight for the low seat, its not a big difference, but every mm down will help for me) 
For now, the seat feels very firm, but can't tell whether or not its comfortable enough yet, or how it compares with the standard height seat.  I will compare in the future however, just need time.

Tazmool

• Premium Member
On 5/31/2020 at 2:54 AM, Petebcca said:

How do you like the low seat?  Comfortable enough?  Improvement over the stock?

Yep, the low seat is comfortable enough. I’ve never ridden it with the stock seat.

I’ve 2800 miles done and I’ve no complaints with the low seat.

Quit comfy as it`s a bit wider . Get`s you abaut 2 cm  down . I  was tipptoeing befor , not so now . Skipp the " dogbones" as it WILL mess with the sidestand . Hense , bin them !

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello low seat users; does the low seat come as a complete one piece unit, like the rally seat, or is it split like the standard seat?  My son wants to order the low seat and from the photos I have seen, it looks to be a one piece rider and pillion seat.

Thanks.

The low seat is just the front rider seat.  The pillion seat is the standard one.  2 pieces.

Seat Concepts will have seat models available for the T7 soon.

On 9/21/2020 at 1:46 PM, Seat Concepts said:

Got a chance to ride our bike and used the prototype low seat. Really good for a low seat I think.

image0 (7).jpeg

On 9/25/2020 at 9:27 AM, Seat Concepts said:

Gazc- There will be no real difference in height of comfort between the 1 and 2 piece low.

Tom- The low is about 7/8 of a inch lower than the stock seat. The 2 piece seat kit will be 189.99 

Edited by REDHORSECA
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Gekkdroid said:

The low seat is just the front rider seat.  The pillion seat is the standard one.  2 pieces.

Thank you very much Gekkdroid.