Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tires and tire size??

Klutch

Hey, new here. Just picked up a T7. Gonna ride it a fair bit in the dirt and single track. Looking at running the Motoz Tractionater RallZ tires. Wondering if  I should stick with 150/70 size or go 140/80?   Stay tubeless?

Thanks.

I've been through the stock Pirelli 150/70 tire, a 150/70 TKC70 Rocks, and now a 140/80 TKC80.  I will only run TKC80s in 140/80 from now on.  I want the bike to "work" onroad, but really be tuned for offroad.  The 140/80 tires are a tiny bit narrower, but basically the same height (overall wheel/tire diameter is within 1%).  For me it comes down to ease of install and cost.  The 150/70 tires I've mounted / unmounted acted like street bike tires, good luck changing a tube in the field.  The 140/80 mounted like a dirt bike tire, just easy on easy off.  I have had one tube fail and changed it about as fast as a mountain bike tube really.

As far as cost, a 140/80-18 is stock on some orange bikes, and I can usually find one as a take-off.  I paid $140 for a front/rear pair for example.

I do have the MotionPro nice bead-breaking tire levers.

4 hours ago, mpb1 said:

The 150/70 tires I've mounted / unmounted acted like street bike tires, good luck changing a tube in the field. 

So what makes them so hard to get off the rim?  Are they thicker rubber or something?

A 150 is designed for road use with passengers and luggage etc so the carcass/sidewalls will be more heavy duty so less flexible. 

• Like 2

there are plenty good off-road tyres in 150/70 size and I will stick to those with OEM rim.

140 tyre will be deformed a bit.   

• Like 1

Usually 140 tyre is designed for 2.5in rim like the one 690 has. Motoz actually discourages people not to install 140 tyre on wide rims because carcass is specifically designed to  much more narrower rim than T7s 4.5in.

As a result, on a unfortunate case of flat tyre there is a big risk that tyre will drop from the bead. Also the carcass is not working as intended because is stretched to be wider. It's hard to say how much this has effect on actual performance (in the end difference is probably quite negligible) but there are some reports 140 tyres dropping from the bead in T7. This is only an issue with flat tyre. As long as there is air inside, the tyre is safe and won't be dropping from the bead.

Before installing 140, I'd check manufacturers suggestion for rim width. If offroad is really the preference and street performance is no issue at all, I'd change rim from stock to 2.5in. In return you would get better handling bike and more durable rim. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I went with stock sizes using Motoz Adventure in the rear and Motoz Venture on the front for less hwy noise. I really couldn't be happier. Front was simple to change... almost like a mountain bike tire. The rear was a bit tricky but manageable with MP bead beaker and spoons. I air down to 25psi and the ridged side wall gives me confidence from pinch flats. When I see deep mud, sand dunes or goat paths I just smile and have at it.

• Like 2