Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 bike won’t start or run…ECU??

Jeffb3180

Rode on Sunday for about 100 miles all was running fine. Stopped and talked with a friend for about ten minutes and bike would not start or turn over. Makes loud electrical click near solenoid then all power dies for a few seconds then the dash will flash intermittently for a few seconds with Err displayed.  Then the Dash lights up and the fuel pumps cycles as if I just turned on the key. Hit the ignition and the whole cycle repeats itself.  Bike has a new battery, no blown fuses, all connections appear tight, pop starting triggers the same electrical cycle with clearly no life to the bike. 

any ideas?? 

• Moderators

@Jeffb3180. If you don't have an OBD reader, that might be a good place to start as it sounds like you've checked the easier preliminary stuff with no luck.

Does your T7 have a check engine light lit up? No need to take it to the dealer! With this adaptor cable, you can check and clear engine codes at...

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I bought the adapter cable for an OBD reader. It shows no errors. 

32 minutes ago, Jeffb3180 said:

Rode on Sunday for about 100 miles all was running fine. Stopped and talked with a friend for about ten minutes and bike would not start or turn over. Makes loud electrical click near solenoid then all power dies for a few seconds then the dash will flash intermittently for a few seconds with Err displayed.  Then the Dash lights up and the fuel pumps cycles as if I just turned on the key. Hit the ignition and the whole cycle repeats itself.  Bike has a new battery, no blown fuses, all connections appear tight, pop starting triggers the same electrical cycle with clearly no life to the bike. 

any ideas?? 

Load test the battery. Sounds and looks like a dead cell. Just because it is a new battery does not exclude it from the fault finding process.

Edited by Buggy Nate
  • Like 6

@Buggy Nate that sounds like a winner!! I had that happen on a tractor once. The battery showed 12 volts and ran all the gauges until you put a load on it, just like you are saying! After that I bought a $50 load tester...

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I also have a new battery failure t-shirt.  

Either that or a loose battery terminal.

Thank you for the advice. I brought the battery to Interstate where they load tested and confirmed it did have a bad cell. They gave me a new one and it started right up.

Interstate told me that it’s a little odd for the cell to die like it did and said bad cells usually show themselves quick right out of the box.

any opinions on whether an issue with the bike could have killed the battery. 

thanks for advice! 

On 8/28/2022 at 12:26 AM, Jeffb3180 said:

Thank you for the advice. I brought the battery to Interstate where they load tested and confirmed it did have a bad cell. They gave me a new one and it started right up.

Interstate told me that it’s a little odd for the cell to die like it did and said bad cells usually show themselves quick right out of the box.

any opinions on whether an issue with the bike could have killed the battery. 

thanks for advice! 

It’s not really that odd. I reckon we used to have 1 dead one in 30. I’ve fit thousands of batteries and it’s more common especially with the cheaper brands. I don’t think I e ever installed a faulty Yuasa. They last for ages too. Just pay for it in weight.

• Like 1