Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Ultra small 12V tire pump

winddown

While trying to pump up a tire on the ride-on mower this arvo this Chinese digital cordless pump wouldn't start, the electronics in it have always been giving me grief so at the end of my rope now I slammed it on the ground and kicked off into a brick wall.  As I was carrying it to the bin I noticed the plastic shell was broken (no surprise there) so out of curiosity I took it in to the work bench and this is what I found.  Minus the electronics.

P-01.jpg.a1734acf77182159f83dbcfe44f5e03c.jpg

Now that's small I thought...

I wonder what voltage the Lipos amount to?  12.8V collectively as it turned out.

So I grabbed a UPS battery and some little jumper cables, dropped 5 PSI out of my rear tire and hooked it up.  I use it on the bikes all the time by the way.

PP07.jpg.1290d79ac9d650297837b34df85784e1.jpg

It ran the pressure back up to 30-PSI no worries and with the pump and motor exposed I could get a feel for the work, the pump got a little warm but the motor stayed cool.  Very cool.

As you can see the little hose unscrews and the whole thing is not much longer than a Bic pen.  Hell you could carry it in your top pocket if you wanted 🙂 

Sooooo, I'll solder a small cig lighter plug on it next, or perhaps create a dedicated, fused, lead with an Anderson plug.  I prefer the little Andersons, they are bullet-proof.

What do ya guys think, am I on a winner?  This was a $30 eBay digital tire pump by the way.  And smaller than any other pump I have seen advertised.

P.S.  The little circuit board you see has to be left in place.  Under it is a pressure sensor, an O-ring, and then a hole into the compression chamber.

PP04.jpg.360f70a9cd4840d6eba77873fe2c43f5.jpg

• Like 4

looks like a good back up/travel light pump

I have another dedicated pump at home for anything major, but this small one would be great when out on a trail when needed.

Of course, I would still invest into a CO2 cartridge when you need that OOMPH to seat the bead.

• Like 1

Yeah, I carry CO2 cartridges, 6 from memory, big ones, I didn't know they had the power to seat a bead though, that's interesting.  I wasn't going to pack a pump, all too big, but I'll slip this one under the seat.

3 minutes ago, winddown said:

Yeah, I carry CO2 cartridges, 6 from memory, big ones, I didn't know they had the power to seat a bead though, that's interesting.  I wasn't going to pack a pump, all too big, but I'll slip this one under the seat.

Not all CO2 cartridge are alike...I will check with my buddy and see which one he buys because he did that for me last bike when I had a booboo

16 hours ago, Hogan said:

That's a good form factor. I've been wanting a pump that packs better than the typical right angle design.

Might have to look into this.

The main concern I would have is longevity as cheap Chinese pumps rarely last.

Typically it's the piston ring/piston itself that will fail and you get no pressure.

I have had two small Slime pumps d0 exactly that recently. Was getting ready for a trip and going through my tools I pulled the pump to make sure it worked, it didn't.  I then pulled the same type pump out of another one of my bikes and it was the same thing, motors ran fine but pumped no air. Both had very little use when they went in the trash.

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

MotoPumps Air Shot  Not the smallest but worth its weight! 

The MotoPumps® Air Shot 2.0 is our newest model. Designed, Engineered and Built right here in the USA. Our carry cases are very high quality and designed to pack easily and protect your MotoPump. They are 600 denier nylon...

• Like 2

Hey everyone, 

I bought this guy: 

Does anyone know if this can be just plugged into the port up front to the left of the dash?

I tried plugging it in there and the pump did not turn on. It comes with multiple types of hook ups (battery clamps, SAE, cigarette lighter) but I would much rather simple use the small port at the front and not have to access the battery or install an SAE connection. 

Thanks y'all!

Not the smallest, but one of the best available 

Expedition-cropped-300x190.jpg

Announcing the CyclePump EXPEDITION Model    What’s the CyclePump EXPEDITION?   We’ve upgraded the “old” CyclePump Adventure by giving it new rubber armor end caps, improved air filtering, and even better...

I use one of these.

Pump-sf_medium.jpg?v=1607901306

This is a great little pump. ULTRA compact, this stripped-down pocket pump weighs in at only 590g and fits in the palm of your hand. Built around a custom modified 12V inflator. What it...

I have the BestRest and am thinking of maybe a permanent location with a hose long enough to reach the front tyre.

I have used the MotoPressor recently and it works a little better ( quicker ) than the BestRest

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Screenshot_20220831_062553_com.google.android_apps.photos.jpg.64d619a4fa113d7a9a252cf90925dc15.jpg

5 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

I use one of these.

Pump-sf_medium.jpg?v=1607901306

This is a great little pump. ULTRA compact, this stripped-down pocket pump weighs in at only 590g and fits in the palm of your hand. Built around a custom modified 12V inflator. What it...

I have the BestRest and am thinking of maybe a permanent location with a hose long enough to reach the front tyre.

I have used the MotoPressor recently and it works a little better ( quicker ) than the BestRest

I've got the motopressor pump too and it's brilliant.

Comes with a soft case and a wires you can permanently fix to the battery. If you have a Rally seat, it fits under the gap in the bottom of the seat along with the motion Pro bead breakers too, all secured with the two rubber straps as part of the rally seat.

See my pic at the top. You can just make out the levers behind the pump.

Rich

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 1

Your seat is way too clean! I decided not to put anything under the seat as I have the B&B solo rack and to get the seat off the rack has to be unbolted. I have been using home made aluminium side racks and Kriega US 12 soft bags to carry tubes and wet weather gear.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I got the Motopressor one. Works fine, small, light, nice bag, takes a longish time and gets hot but no issues with the battery tender's 7.5A fuse. Not as small or inexpensive as the OP's though.

Edited by Husafreak
  • Like 1

The pocket motopressor looks the guts out of a small chinese offering with a slip of heat-shrink to tidy up the wires and hose.   I lot like the Aerostich below.

2013-aerostich-mini-compressor.jpg

Aerostich's Mini Compressor is the smallest and lightest compressor available, and one of the most efficient you’ll find for its size.