Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Is the T700 for me?

mcb2

Hi Everyone - 

I have been seriously looking at different bikes for a little while now, and I'm considering a T700.  I am mostly 90/10 on/offroad and I very much enjoy long distance riding.  I have several IronButt rides under my belt including a few 1500 mile days.  I did this all on a VStrom 650.  Due to changes in lifestyle, and pressure from my wife I sold that bike a few years ago with 90k miles on it.  It was a great, but very very cheap machine.  I have found over the years that my body style prefers and upright and neutral seating position.  I have put a lot of miles on a few sport touring bikes such as the FJR 1300 and the Honda ST1300, but I never really thought they were comfortable as the seating position seemed wrong for me.  The DL650 seemed to fit me perfectly.  The T700 feels very similar to the DL650 did and I found it very comfortable.  I will definitely have to change the seat, and add some highway pegs, but it seems that I could make the bike work great for me on long rides.  As I said earlier, I ride about 90 percent highway, and 10 percent offroad, but I am also planning a Haul Road trip to Deadhorse in the next year or two, which was also another reason to consider the T700.  I considered just picking up a used DL650, or a DL1000, but I've owned both of those bikes, and I just want something different. 

One of the things that I have reservations about is the tube tires.  I have never owned or ridden a bike with tubes so I don't know what to expect.  Like many riders, I have had my share of punctures and flats, but I have always been able to plug them and be back riding in 30 minutes or less without any issues.  I have put thousands of miles on plugged tires without any problems or concerns.  How big of a deal is it to ride a bike with tubes on the highway?  It is not unusual for me to put in several thousand mile days back to back on a long trip, and I want to make sure that tube tires are capable of that.  I have really have no credible knowledge to think that they wouldn't be, but then I am ignorant on the subject.  I have read all about the ways to tape up the rims to use tubeless tires, but I am a little concerned about that solution lasting on long highway days.  Am I making a bigger deal out of this than necessary?

How smooth is the bike on the highway?  The DL650 that put a lot of miles on didn't have the greatest performance but it would crank away at 85 MPH all day long for weeks at a time.  It was very smooth, and I never really felt like I was stressing the motor even when loaded down with full bags and other gear including an extra 3 gallons of gas on board at times.  Does the T700 have some of the same characteristics?  I know that I just need to find one to ride and make my own  judgements, but I was looking for opinions or input on the subject.

My other alternative is to go with the Honda Africa Twin Adventure.  That would give me pretty much all the capability that I need and runs tubeless tires.  However, money is always a concern and I was just looking for a more conservative option.  I like the Yamaha name and  I really wish the Super T was not discontinued, as it seems like that would have been the more ideal solution overall.  

Anyway, I understand that some of these questions have a lot of different viewpoints, but I'm just looking for some outside opinions from people who have experience with the bike.  

Thoughts?

Edited by mcb2

My gut says, buy the ATA. Don't get me wrong, the T7 is a great bike (I love mine), but having done 800km days on it a few times, my Super T is MUCH more comfortable. Tube tires are fine, but more difficult and time consuming to repair, although converting it to tubeless using the Outex system (or similar) isn't that difficult. The T7 will run all day at 85+ mph. Not sure I would. At 85mph you will have a usable fuel (stock tank) range of about 120-140miles tops. I would also recommend re-gearing it. Vibration might be an issue at that speed depending how sensitive your contact points are. Have you considered a lightly used Super T?

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

You can fine used Super Tenere pretty easy.  The Tenere 700 sucks down the fuel on the interstate,  I got about 30mpg running 80-90mph fully loaded up and that's  with front sprocket one tooth up.  I think the seat sucks for long hauls.  But off the interstate on back road, side roads, off road its a fun bike.  But I think you'd be happier with a more tour type bike for long pavement runs. 

5 hours ago, mcb2 said:

Hi Everyone - 

I have been seriously looking at different bikes for a little while now, and I'm considering a T700.  I am mostly 90/10 on/offroad and I very much enjoy long distance riding.  I have several IronButt rides under my belt including a few 1500 mile days.  I did this all on a VStrom 650.  Due to changes in lifestyle, and pressure from my wife I sold that bike a few years ago with 90k miles on it.  It was a great, but very very cheap machine.  I have found over the years that my body style prefers and upright and neutral seating position.  I have put a lot of miles on a few sport touring bikes such as the FJR 1300 and the Honda ST1300, but I never really thought they were comfortable as the seating position seemed wrong for me.  The DL650 seemed to fit me perfectly.  The T700 feels very similar to the DL650 did and I found it very comfortable.  I will definitely have to change the seat, and add some highway pegs, but it seems that I could make the bike work great for me on long rides.  As I said earlier, I ride about 90 percent highway, and 10 percent offroad, but I am also planning a Haul Road trip to Deadhorse in the next year or two, which was also another reason to consider the T700.  I considered just picking up a used DL650, or a DL1000, but I've owned both of those bikes, and I just want something different. 

One of the things that I have reservations about is the tube tires.  I have never owned or ridden a bike with tubes so I don't know what to expect.  Like many riders, I have had my share of punctures and flats, but I have always been able to plug them and be back riding in 30 minutes or less without any issues.  I have put thousands of miles on plugged tires without any problems or concerns.  How big of a deal is it to ride a bike with tubes on the highway?  It is not unusual for me to put in several thousand mile days back to back on a long trip, and I want to make sure that tube tires are capable of that.  I have really have no credible knowledge to think that they wouldn't be, but then I am ignorant on the subject.  I have read all about the ways to tape up the rims to use tubeless tires, but I am a little concerned about that solution lasting on long highway days.  Am I making a bigger deal out of this than necessary?

How smooth is the bike on the highway?  The DL650 that put a lot of miles on didn't have the greatest performance but it would crank away at 85 MPH all day long for weeks at a time.  It was very smooth, and I never really felt like I was stressing the motor even when loaded down with full bags and other gear including an extra 3 gallons of gas on board at times.  Does the T700 have some of the same characteristics?  I know that I just need to find one to ride and make my own  judgements, but I was looking for opinions or input on the subject.

My other alternative is to go with the Honda Africa Twin Adventure.  That would give me pretty much all the capability that I need and runs tubeless tires.  However, money is always a concern and I was just looking for a more conservative option.  I like the Yamaha name and  I really wish the Super T was not discontinued, as it seems like that would have been the more ideal solution overall.  

Anyway, I understand that some of these questions have a lot of different viewpoints, but I'm just looking for some outside opinions from people who have experience with the bike.  

Thoughts?

I'm also switching from a DL650 to a T700.   Also probably about 90/10 like you.  The three negatives for me can be fixed:

1.   I'm only 5'7"/30" inseam, but I bought a pair of Daytona boots with a large insert that pushes my heel 1" closer to the ground.  Might get the lower seat too, but might not even need it.   (I won't be lowering the bike as I want the 9.4" of ground clearance.)

2.   I ordered Alpina Tubeless wheels from England which takes care of the tube issue.  More expensive than Outex, but this way both the rear and the front can be tubeless. 

3.  As far as gas goes, I'm going to bolt on Outback Motortek pannier racks that you can attach a 1 gallon Rotopax too.    Most of my riding is in Latin America where I like to go during the winters, so I rarely get above 65mph, so not too worried about range.

Also even the paved roads in Latin America can be gnarly, so like the idea of the the T700 with the 9/4" of ground clearance.  (The DR650 has even more, but don't like the size or feeling of sitting on that bike.)    The DL650 has terrible ground clearance, and that's one of the biggest reasons I'm going to sell it.

Got the call a couple days ago.  I'm finally number one on the list and the local dealer is getting a blue 2022 in in a couple weeks, so it'll be mine.

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

I was a bit concerned about the aftermarket and factory parts For the SuperT drying up in a few years.  I tend to keep bikes for quite after I inevitably drop at least a minimum of 1500-2k into them to make them fit my riding style.  It is still possible to get a 2022 SuperT, but I was uncertain about its future since Yamaha is no longer making them.

Edited by mcb2

I have a DL650 and a T7. The V Strom is much more comfy on long road rides and the much lower seat height inspires confidence. It also has far better wind protection and the benefit(?) of tubeless tyres. You'll fine the T7 very tall compared to the V Strom - not an issue if you're 6ft+ but possibly an issue if you're shorter than that. As others have said, the T7 carries its weight pretty high - it's an easy bike to drop! Personally, I'd favour the Tenere over the AT Adventure - you don't need 1100cc and the extra weight that goes with it, on an off road bike. As to the V Strom, it wins hands down on the road but it won't come near the T7 in terms of off road capability.

Edited by Tigerjohn
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2022 at 12:15 PM, mcb2 said:

Thoughts?

Everyone that has a DL loves them. A real tried and true workhorse, if a bit bland.

The T7 is like dating a college volleyball player. Tall, lean, and will put a smile on your face...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

On 8/26/2022 at 7:25 PM, mcb2 said:

I was a bit concerned about the aftermarket and factory parts For the SuperT drying up in a few years.  I tend to keep bikes for quite after I inevitably drop at least a minimum of 1500-2k into them to make them fit my riding style.  It is still possible to get a 2022 SuperT, but I was uncertain about its future since Yamaha is no longer making them.

It is still possible to buy a new 2022 Super Tenere ES and the local St. Louis, MO dealer is showing two in stock.  I have a 2021 S10ES and the 2022 is identical.  

I also own a 2021 Tenere 700 and it isn’t even in the same league as the Super Tenere for comfort, load capacity, wind protection, etc.

If I had to go to one bike, the Tenere 700 would be the bike leaving and the S10 would be staying.

Edited by whisperquiet

• Moderators

@mcb2 Looking at your requirements,  I'd recommend the Super Tenere over the T7.  90% pavement isn't really what the T7 was designed for, but it certainly can do it.  The Super Tenere is such a great road bike, but still can do " modest" dirt duty and even more in capable hands ( read: awesome skills) in rutted/ rocky conditions.  

One of my motocamping buddies rides a ST and I'm usually ready to turn around at a particularly gnarly section about the same time he is.  The speed/comfort/ load carrying capability of the ST, trumps the T7, until you switch your dirt riding percentage,  then the ST falls behind.  As noted, parts for the ST should be available for many years and my Yamaha FJR was bulletproof so, parts availability has really never been a factor personally.

Tubed tires don't worry me, but again, for long trips on slab, I'd prefer tubeless, so I think you're spot on with that.

Good luck on your decision! 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

The shaft drive of the Super Tenere is great as you are mostly a road guy.

The extra weight is more than offset by almost no maintenance.

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

4 hours ago, AZJW said:

@mcb2 Looking at your requirements,  I'd recommend the Super Tenere over the T7.  90% pavement isn't really what the T7 was designed for, but it certainly can do it.  The Super Tenere is such a great road bike, but still can do " modest" dirt duty and even more in capable hands ( read: awesome skills) in rutted/ rocky conditions.  

One of my motocamping buddies rides a ST and I'm usually ready to turn around at a particularly gnarly section about the same time he is.  The speed/comfort/ load carrying capability of the ST, trumps the T7, until you switch your dirt riding percentage,  then the ST falls behind.  As noted, parts for the ST should be available for many years and my Yamaha FJR was bulletproof so, parts availability has really never been a factor personally.

Tubed tires don't worry me, but again, for long trips on slab, I'd prefer tubeless, so I think you're spot on with that.

Good luck on your decision! 

I think you are correct.  I really love the idea of the T7 but I don't think it would be the best option for the type of riding I like to do.  I'll look at the SuperT or the Africa Twin.  Everyone has been extremely helpful here.  Thanks so much for the info.

• Like 1

I think a lot of it has to do not only with where you ride, but also how you ride.  I come from a dirt bike background and the T7 is a wonderful bike for me.  I am 6' 3" with a 36" inseam, so it is the first bike that I really feel like I fit on since I sold my 1972 Penton 125.  It is also really fun to ride with my sport bike friends.  They take one look at the knobby looking stock tires and expect me to be lagging way behind in the corners.  The Pirellis must have a bunch of silica in them because they let me use all of the sidewalls and surprise my buddies when I am able to keep up with them in all but the fastest rides.

I recently made a trip where I rode 100+ miles at 75-80mph, then rode off-road in first and second gear for a few hours, and then rode back home again.  I was surprised to find that I got just over 50 mpg even with an ECU flash.  If there was anything I would look to change for road riding, it would be better wind management, a better seat and put a 16 tooth front sprocket on.  I have the sprocket, but prefer the 15T sprocket for off-road riding.

As far as parts availability for a ST goes, I think it will be supported for quite awhile.  I have a 1985 FJ600 that I bought new in 1986.  I recently did a partial restoration on it and was able to get every part that I needed for it, even though it was a low volume bike.  Some came from dealers, some from eBay, and many from a guy in Atlanta that supports FJ and XJ bikes.