Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

rear light/license plate light probs

DURTY-T7

i need some help please!  i installed a new tail tidy, led blinkers and a led relay... my right rear blinker stays on, it will not blink.  also, my license plate light will not come on.  i've checked all the fuses, and tried 2 different relays with the same result.  i don't know what else to look at?  thanks in advance.

Might you have possibly mixed up the wires for the tag light and the right turn signal?

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

sam, the right rear blinker stays on all the time... the dash blinks normal if the bike if off, but if i start it it blinks different

PNGL, i used the same plugs.

Not all LED blinkers and relays will work well together, even if they are LED specific relays. I bought and installed TST branded front/rear indicators AND a TST branded flasher relay and still had issues with the LED flashers not working and not syncing up with the dash readout. Had to do it the old fashioned way and install some resistors in line with the LEDs. They've worked flawlessly now for thousands of kms.

You still haven't told us how your left rear indicator is acting, or the fronts...

If you look at the wiring diagram in the manual it looks like the blinkers share a common ground wire with the license plate light so Ray is probably right and you've mis-wired your ground somehow. 

Start with the license plate light. Sort out it's ground wire and get it functioning properly. Then move on to the blinkers. Put the old ones back in and verify that the system works. Then try the new blinkers again and if they are still acting funky put some resistors in line with them and see if that sorts you out. Do all this temporarily (no soldering, just use wire nuts) and without mounting anything unnecessarily then just button everything back up once you know its working.

Let us know if you need the manual or resistor sizes... 

Edited by Samm

I’d say you’ve plugged an indicator cable into the rear light

im pretty sure they have a silly connector colouring and one of the indicators and the rear light have the same colour connector (black) and the other indicator has another colour (grey)

you’d think both indicators have the same colour connector 

Edited by Lewie

12 minutes ago, Lewie said:

I’d say you’ve plugged an indicator cable into the rear light

Haha they do look like the same style connector on the wiring diagram. The ground pins are in the same location...but it looks like the male/female connector ends for plate and blinkers are reversed...

FYI 88 is your license plate light, 80 and 81 are your right blinkers rear and front, and 82 and 83 are your left blinkers rear and front.

A good place to start. Let us know if this solves your problem DURTY, and we'll never let you live it down...just kidding

Screenshot 2022-08-26 154454.png

lol, all of the other blinkers function perfectly… just the right rear stays on all the time.  

i think i shorted out the license plate light… but i checked all the fuses and they are good

and the license plate connector is black, blinker is grey… i labeled them before taking off so i’m 99%sure they are correct, lol

one thing i noticed though… the right rear blinker is a female that plugs into a male… all the other blinkers are opposite 

1 minute ago, DURTY-T7 said:

lol, all of the other blinkers function perfectly… just the right rear stays on all the time.  

i think i shorted out the license plate light… but i checked all the fuses and they are good

If you somehow plugged the license plate plug into the right blinker plug and vice-versa as Lewie said then the blinker would always be lit and the license plate light would flash with your right signal switch on...

Has all this been plug-and-play or did you do some soldering?

4 minutes ago, DURTY-T7 said:

and the license plate connector is black, blinker is grey… i labeled them before taking off so i’m 99%sure they are correct, lol

one thing i noticed though… the right rear blinker is a female that plugs into a male… all the other blinkers are opposite 

Strange, cause the wiring diagram says the license plate connector is grey, blinker is black (this is however a 2021 manual) and shows the opposite of what you're saying about the male/female setup...

lol, ok… i hope that’s not the case 😂but i’ll check it out in the morning .

i really appreciate the help!

4 minutes ago, DURTY-T7 said:

soldering… what fuse is for the license plate light?

uh oh... yeah you done f*$#ed up.

Looks like fuse #9 for the plate light, 7.5A.

9 minutes ago, Samm said:

uh oh... yeah you done f*$#ed up.

Looks like fuse #9 for the plate light, 7.5A.

😂😂😂please tell me no!   i mean, i’ll b happy it’s fixed … but man, what a blow to my ego 😂😂😂

26 minutes ago, DURTY-T7 said:

😂😂😂please tell me no!   i mean, i’ll b happy it’s fixed … but man, what a blow to my ego 😂😂😂

Haha, I’m not implying that replacing a blown fuse is going to fix your issue. You’ve got your wires crossed for sure. Undo all right blinker and plate light soldered connections and start fresh. Best of luck! 

By the way, that 2022 black colour way is goddam sexy!

thanks man!   o, and btw is there a way to delete this thread and pretend it never happened?   😂😂😂

all fixed and ready to go!  thanks again!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DURTY-T7 said:

thanks man!   o, and btw is there a way to delete this thread and pretend it never happened?   😂😂😂

all fixed and ready to go!  thanks again!

Too late, just saw this at the 8 oclock news ...🤣

6 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

Too late, just saw this at the 8 oclock news ...🤣

😂😂😂