Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Farkle recommendations please.

WingVetteStrom

Got the call so will be taking delivery of a Blue 2022 T7 in Sept.

Have been doing tons of researching so would like some advice on the following list of farkles I've put together.   Please no smarmy comments about how I'm putting too much stuff on the bike.  :-).    I've been riding for 51 years and have pretty well sorted out what I think I need based on past experience.   If you own any of these farkles, would like your advice as to functionality and/or brand.   Also recommendations for others not listed below welcome.   Thanks!!

1.  Adjustable windshield brackets.  Touratech

2.  Crashguard Outback Motortek. /  Skid plate.  AltRider

3.  Pannier racks with attached tool box.  Outback Motortek

4.  H20 pump guard.  Altrider

5.  Puig clip on windshield addition.

6.  Driving lights.  Yamaha

7.  Other lighting.  Skene or Admore or Denali or Cyclops

8.  Gocruise or Atlas throttle lock.

9.  Tail tidy.  Camel

10.  Fork guard protectors.  Camel

11.  Low seat.  Seat Concepts.  (Don't want to lower the bike, I'd lose ground clearance.)

12.  Restart Lithium battery.   Antigravity.

13.  Center Stand.  Yamaha.

14.  Barkbusters.

15.  Anti bobble.  Camel.

16.  Axle sliders.  ?

17.  Heated Grips.   Probably Yamaha even though hear they don't warm up as much as Oxford, and like the clean look.   I have Oxfords now and left side  failed on me on my last trip.

18.  Side stand foot.  Rocky Mountain

19.  Headlight Protector.  Alt Rider

20.  Acc. Fuse Panel.  Eastern Beaver.

21.  Prefilter.  Keto

-----------------------------------------------------

Nice to have/considering:

1.  Seat Release.  Rally Raid

2.  Upgraded side stand spring.  Rally Raid or Camel

3.  Double take mirrors.  Rocky Mountain

4.  Fork preload caps or simpler:  preload washers.  Touratech or Redo.

5.  Speed bleeders.  Alt Rider

6.  ABS, Rear brake Cylinder and reservoir guards.  Rocky Mountain

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

I put some ideas down, don't take any of this wrong, Im just tossing down my experiences, yours and others are just as valid and probably different.

1,5   You may not need both of these.  Try one then add the other.

2      Take a look at the acrebis skid plate.  I put my eyes on every one RM has at their distribution center and it was the best IMO, very light and has a linkage guard.  I was surprised how heavy most of them were.  Also I have installed Tusk and Yamaha (givi) crash guards and I think both area great.  I've crashed on my yamaha ones 4-5 times per side and no bending or damage.  Nothing hard just tipovers in dirt.

3      At least take a look at rackless systems, I had the yamaha givi setup and ended up with a Tusk Highland X2 setup on the camel tail rack and I'm much happier with how it rides offroad and on.  The large box style panniers stick out pretty far and create noticable drag.  At high elevation I was limited to 90mph at full throttle, I think the bike has enough power, just not enough power to "be a big bike", and those kindof ask it to be a big bike.  The racks were 15lbs, and each box was 12-15lbs, the Camel rack is maybe 1 and the highland system is probably like six.  Between that and not having a center stand the swing is weight will completely change the bike offroad.  I'm not against big bikes don't get me wrong, but this is just not a big bike, and it'll feel top heavy and under powered if you dress it up like one, at least it did to me.

6,7  I'd ride it at night first and solve a problem with a specific set.  Don't just throw lights at it.  I find a specific need for lights that flood upwards.

9      Amazon has some great aluminum tidys for $35.  $100+ for a laser cut bent powdercoated piece of aluminum

12    I wish I would have done this earlier.  I left heated grips on and smoked my OEM battery, replaced with AGM once, then went to antigravity to save weight.  I would have been money and performance ahead to just buy the AG right off.

13.   These are significantly heavy, I'd use a trail jack etc.  I had one for 8000 miles and used it once, I use a harbor freight MC jack in the garage, and a trail jack (or just lay it down...) in the field and it's been fine.  My yamaha center stand is for sale cheap if you disagree!

15    The stock system doesn't bother me, not sure if this would be a problem for you.  If you're in rough enough stuff to bobble the head, you're looking above the windscreen not down at your speed.

17    Take a look at Koso Apollo grips too if you like a clean look.  Button is integrated without a separate control box to mount

18    I haven't needed this, and the stock kickstand spring is pretty weak, I wouldn't fix a problem you may not have here and potentially cause another one.  The bike won't stand in sand, but its a bike, set the stand on a flat rock if its that loose.  On any normal dirt the stock foot is plenty big.

20    There are two fused and relayed 12v lines up under the front fenders to run all your accessories.  No need to add, grips to one and lights to the other maybe.  Ppl make plug in adaptors for them to just go to wires, so you don't even have to tap into your chassis harness and you have all the power you need.  They are for the Yamaha grips and offroad lights.

21     I live in dusty Utah which is nothing like Aus but can be pretty dirty.  My stock filter with no snorkel made it 8000 miles, and when I changed it there was only slight discoloration from dust.  You may be solving a problem that doesn't exist for you, and causing an unnecessary restriction and unnecessary maintenance.  I have seen bikes from some parts of the world where this was definitely necessary, I guess it depends on your riding conditions.  For how cheap and effective a filter is I'd live it alone and see how annoying it gets to change a filter when needed, probably not too annoying once a year.

2      I do think this is a good idea if you're putting a Camel order in, not expensive and you're already paying shipping

3      I love these and would get them right off so you can sell your stockers to get some $$ back before you crash on them once and they're not worth anything.

I'd look into a rear rack, camel is the best IMO

High fender is necessary in my mind if you're getting into mud.  Cheap and easy from RM, and comes with an Acerbis fender, it's quite nice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mpb1 said:

I put some ideas down, don't take any of this wrong, Im just tossing down my experiences, yours and others are just as valid and probably different.

1,5   You may not need both of these.  Try one then add the other.

2      Take a look at the acrebis skid plate.  I put my eyes on every one RM has at their distribution center and it was the best IMO, very light and has a linkage guard.  I was surprised how heavy most of them were.  Also I have installed Tusk and Yamaha (givi) crash guards and I think both area great.  I've crashed on my yamaha ones 4-5 times per side and no bending or damage.  Nothing hard just tipovers in dirt.

3      At least take a look at rackless systems, I had the yamaha givi setup and ended up with a Tusk Highland X2 setup on the camel tail rack and I'm much happier with how it rides offroad and on.  The large box style panniers stick out pretty far and create noticable drag.  At high elevation I was limited to 90mph at full throttle, I think the bike has enough power, just not enough power to "be a big bike", and those kindof ask it to be a big bike.  The racks were 15lbs, and each box was 12-15lbs, the Camel rack is maybe 1 and the highland system is probably like six.  Between that and not having a center stand the swing is weight will completely change the bike offroad.  I'm not against big bikes don't get me wrong, but this is just not a big bike, and it'll feel top heavy and under powered if you dress it up like one, at least it did to me.

6,7  I'd ride it at night first and solve a problem with a specific set.  Don't just throw lights at it.  I find a specific need for lights that flood upwards.

9      Amazon has some great aluminum tidys for $35.  $100+ for a laser cut bent powdercoated piece of aluminum

12    I wish I would have done this earlier.  I left heated grips on and smoked my OEM battery, replaced with AGM once, then went to antigravity to save weight.  I would have been money and performance ahead to just buy the AG right off.

13.   These are significantly heavy, I'd use a trail jack etc.  I had one for 8000 miles and used it once, I use a harbor freight MC jack in the garage, and a trail jack (or just lay it down...) in the field and it's been fine.  My yamaha center stand is for sale cheap if you disagree!

15    The stock system doesn't bother me, not sure if this would be a problem for you.  If you're in rough enough stuff to bobble the head, you're looking above the windscreen not down at your speed.

17    Take a look at Koso Apollo grips too if you like a clean look.  Button is integrated without a separate control box to mount

18    I haven't needed this, and the stock kickstand spring is pretty weak, I wouldn't fix a problem you may not have here and potentially cause another one.  The bike won't stand in sand, but its a bike, set the stand on a flat rock if its that loose.  On any normal dirt the stock foot is plenty big.

20    There are two fused and relayed 12v lines up under the front fenders to run all your accessories.  No need to add, grips to one and lights to the other maybe.  Ppl make plug in adaptors for them to just go to wires, so you don't even have to tap into your chassis harness and you have all the power you need.  They are for the Yamaha grips and offroad lights.

21     I live in dusty Utah which is nothing like Aus but can be pretty dirty.  My stock filter with no snorkel made it 8000 miles, and when I changed it there was only slight discoloration from dust.  You may be solving a problem that doesn't exist for you, and causing an unnecessary restriction and unnecessary maintenance.  I have seen bikes from some parts of the world where this was definitely necessary, I guess it depends on your riding conditions.  For how cheap and effective a filter is I'd live it alone and see how annoying it gets to change a filter when needed, probably not too annoying once a year.

2      I do think this is a good idea if you're putting a Camel order in, not expensive and you're already paying shipping

3      I love these and would get them right off so you can sell your stockers to get some $$ back before you crash on them once and they're not worth anything.

I'd look into a rear rack, camel is the best IMO

High fender is necessary in my mind if you're getting into mud.  Cheap and easy from RM, and comes with an Acerbis fender, it's quite nice

Great reply!!

1.  You're probably right.  Puig should be enough.

2.  Don't see Acerbis skid plate at Rocky Mountain.  Do you mean the AXP racing skid plate?

3.  Want pannier racks as want to continue using my Kriega soft bags.  (Also 'cause I have all the stickers of all the countries I've ridden on.  LOL!)

6,7.  I never ride at night.  Want the lighting so people can see me.

9.  Will check Amazon.  Thanks!

13.  How much for the Yamaha stand plus shipping to zip code 98333?  (I live in Washington State.)

15.  Good advice

17.  Koso grips heat up enough?  Heard OEM grips don't get hot enough.

20.  What does "ppl" mean?  (Plug and play?)

21.  Good advice.

2.3.  Good advice.  Thanks!

Edited by WingVetteStrom

6,7 with the led headlights, running lights under them, and front turn signals always on as running lights, more lights aren't going to help someone see you in my opinion, thy are bright as is.  Someone may misjudge your speed or distance and pull out in front of you, but I don't think more lights will prevent this on this bike.  Maybe an old klr with a single sealed beam headlight, but this thing is already covered in lights.

13, I'll pm you on the stand

17, even with thick gloves the Koso grips frt hot enough or too hot.  I run them on mid power most of the time.

20, ppl meant people

Here's an idea for 6,7. Rigid ignite. Much brighter than the photo indicates. Run them on all my bikes for visibility mostly. Building the lighting 'Triangle' that BMW preaches...

IMG_20200608_203435 small.jpg

IMG_20200608_203447 small.jpg

IMG_20200608_203854 small.jpg

I think I have Yamaha disease...

4 hours ago, mpb1 said:

6,7 with the led headlights, running lights under them, and front turn signals always on as running lights, more lights aren't going to help someone see you in my opinion, thy are bright as is.  Someone may misjudge your speed or distance and pull out in front of you, but I don't think more lights will prevent this on this bike.  Maybe an old klr with a single sealed beam headlight, but this thing is already covered in lights.

13, I'll pm you on the stand

17, even with thick gloves the Koso grips frt hot enough or too hot.  I run them on mid power most of the time.

20, ppl meant people

Do you know of a kit that converts turn signals into running lights?   Also would like them to be LEDs.     Will check out the grips.   The Acerbis website shows zero information about the skid plate.

2 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Here's an idea for 6,7. Rigid ignite. Much brighter than the photo indicates. Run them on all my bikes for visibility mostly. Building the lighting 'Triangle' that BMW preaches...

How did you mount them?   Do you have a link to the exact part you bought?    Thanks!

Stock front turn signals are 3 wire.  Ground, running light, blinking.  See the amber lights on in the top pic?  Tap into that wire if integrated like mine, or tap into either available side power if you want a separate circuit.

20220729_181907.jpg

1 hour ago, WingVetteStrom said:

How did you mount them?   Do you have a link to the exact part you bought?    Thanks!

Custom aluminum 'L' bracket mounted to lower rad mount bolt.

PXL_20220827_233023249 small.jpg

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

2 hours ago, WingVetteStrom said:

Do you know of a kit that converts turn signals into running lights?   Also would like them to be LEDs.     Will check out the grips.   The Acerbis website shows zero information about the skid plate.

Check out Skene

648237_51ad7e3dd489499fb98e56ae5309ba5d~

Skene front & rear motorcycle visibility lighting systems are specifically designed to maximize the visibility of your motorcycle with patented technology

2 hours ago, kainic said:

Check out Skene

648237_51ad7e3dd489499fb98e56ae5309ba5d~

Skene front & rear motorcycle visibility lighting systems are specifically designed to maximize the visibility of your motorcycle with patented technology

I have Skene on my two bikes.   Great lights. 

• Like 1

1.  Adjustable windshield brackets.  Touratech - why? are you 10' tall?

2.  Crashguard Outback Motortek. /  Skid plate.  AltRider - the Yamaha bars are fine

3.  Pannier racks with attached tool box.  Outback Motortek - keep it simple. Look at soft panniers and something like RideAdv frames

4.  H20 pump guard.  Altrider - only if you plan on trashing it in rocks

5.  Puig clip on windshield addition. - again, why? I am 6'1" and ride in a MX helmet without issue

6.  Driving lights.  Yamaha - the standard light is good. Maybe a 6" light bar under the lights for a bit more spread and depth

7.  Other lighting.  Skene or Admore or Denali or Cyclops

8.  Gocruise or Atlas throttle lock. - I use a throttle rocker and have just finished a 4000km ride with the first 1000 on tar.

9.  Tail tidy.  Camel - agree. Smartens the lines of the bike

10.  Fork guard protectors.  Camel - don't break the protectors

11.  Low seat.  Seat Concepts.  (Don't want to lower the bike, I'd lose ground clearance.) - I use the rally seat as height isn't an issue

12.  Restart Lithium battery.   Antigravity. - when they die they die. I prefer the AGM batteries

13.  Center Stand.  Yamaha. - I use a cut down telescopic crutch. Weighs bugger all and does a good job.

14.  Barkbusters. - yep. Luv 'em. Good Aussie product

15.  Anti bobble.  Camel. - I mount the Montana 700 on the top bar and don't notice the movement

16.  Axle sliders.  ? - planning on sliding down the road

17.  Heated Grips.   Probably Yamaha even though hear they don't warm up as much as Oxford, and like the clean look.   I have Oxfords now and left side  failed on me on my last trip. - Merino glove liners are only $30 AUD

18.  Side stand foot.  Rocky Mountain - if you ride in soft ground

19.  Headlight Protector.  Alt Rider - Headlight Skinz from Altrex

20.  Acc. Fuse Panel.  Eastern Beaver. - I wire direct to the battery with an inline fuse on the GPS and tyre pump

21.  Prefilter.  Keto - Look at Funnelweb. So easy to fit and remove

-----------------------------------------------------

Nice to have/considering:

1.  Seat Release.  Rally Raid

2.  Upgraded side stand spring.  Rally Raid or Camel - yep. Camel

3.  Double take mirrors.  Rocky Mountain - ?? the oem are OK

4.  Fork preload caps or simpler:  preload washers.  Touratech or Redo. - spend the money and get a suspension tuner to set them up

5.  Speed bleeders.  Alt Rider - any bleeder will do. I have a small screwdiver in my ( tiny ) tank bag. ( 5 litre Kriega )

6.  ABS, Rear brake Cylinder and reservoir guards.  Rocky Mountain - nice but are they necessary?

I guess you might get my drift that some things are nice to have but I am of the opinion Yamaha made a fairly simple bike so keep it that way. Apart from a suspension package the only other major additions I have done are the Acerbis tank, Camel high pipe, along with the usual crash bars, B&B rack bash plate and tail tidy. The dealer threw them in along with the rally seat and Barkbusters.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I'm not handling reading large amount of text very well but just based on the title i just want to say this:
Farkling is not an obligation, you don't farkle because everybody does it and you also don;t farkle to support vendors.
You schould only farkle to adapt the bike to your personal needs and only you can determine what that is and you only can find out what's failing when you ride the bike.
Just few things can be figured out before finding out and that is crash protection.
Are you planning on going offroad? If yes you can start to find out what you want in that and only that.
Hand guards probably end up in Acerbis or Barkbusters when i think of what i came across on this forum.
Than you have bash plates and crashbars and there is written a lot of it on this forum.
I have the Barkbusters, an Adventure Spec Bashplate and Heavy Duty Enduro crashbars, needed to adjust the bashplate with a mallet slightly to accommodate the crashbars but i just love the looks of the HD Enduro and they proven to be effective too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 2:37 AM, Ray Ride4life said:

I'm not handling reading large amount of text very well but just based on the title i just want to say this:
Farkling is not an obligation, you don't farkle because everybody does it and you also don;t farkle to support vendors.
You schould only farkle to adapt the bike to your personal needs and only you can determine what that is and you only can find out what's failing when you ride the bike.
Just few things can be figured out before finding out and that is crash protection.
Are you planning on going offroad? If yes you can start to find out what you want in that and only that.
Hand guards probably end up in Acerbis or Barkbusters when i think of what i came across on this forum.
Than you have bash plates and crashbars and there is written a lot of it on this forum.
I have the Barkbusters, an Adventure Spec Bashplate and Heavy Duty Enduro crashbars, needed to adjust the bashplate with a mallet slightly to accommodate the crashbars but i just love the looks of the HD Enduro and they proven to be effective too.

Please read the 3rd and 4th sentences of my opening post.  Thank you for the other comments about handgurads and crashguards.