Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

carrying "stuff" w/out topbox

r4_rick

Hi Everyone

So, I've had my Tenere Rally for 2 weeks now and loving it.  i'm pretty sure i'm going to sell my 1250 GSA.  

So to keep the Ten as light as possible i don't want to fit a top box, which i have on my GSA, but its damn useful for carrying waterproof jacket and a few bits.

What do you guys use ?  

I just want the convenience of always having waterproofs with me, just incase, and i don't think i want to have the 10L kriega tail pack just for those, but would consider if it theres not really a viable alternative

Any suggestions gratefully recieved!

Rick

I have an Oxford Aqua T8 - currently sitting on an AS rear rack but would strap onto the rear seat (and did before I bought the rack). Certainly enough room for a set of waterproofs and far less pricey than anything Kriega....(not that I have anything against Kriega, I just hate parting with money)

Edited by Wharfe
Punctuation!
  • Like 1

I use an Ogio tail bag on a Tusk rack.  Quick on and off, comes with a rain cover, fits great, and has decent capacity.

ogio_tail_bag20.jpg

The OGIO Tail Bag has a main compartment with 240 cubic inches of expansion volume. The bottom pad is made from reinforced textured neoprene for non-slip paint protection. A rain...

I use the waterproof Endiristan Large (15L) Bag Topper as a tail bag & added a lock to the zippers an Abus 205 cable lock to secure the bag to the bike for added security when wanted..scroll about 1/2 way down this blog 

I have a top box on mine. To me, the convenience of a top box is worth the 10 or 12 pounds. Plus, quick and easy to remove it for rough dirt riding.....

I can run to the store for smaller items easy as pie!

I have a Nelson-Rigg tank bag that my rain gear fits into, but usually carry it in a 10l Kriega on the tail rack so that I can use the tank bag for miscellaneous stuff. 

Edited by Hollybrook

i use a waterproof bag and strap it down to the Aspec tail/grab bar rack I use. Keeps it lower profile and makes it easy to add stuff if I need to.

I use the Mosko Moto Reckless 40 as a daily.
In one side i have my tools and a front inner-tube and on the other side free space for a lunchbox and a 1L MSR bottle of fuel.
In the goggle pocket on the beavertail i have a rain jacket and under the beavertail a first aid kit.

Tank bag for the essentials (rain gear, etc...).  Rok Straps for the occasional pick up of items. As long as it's in a box or decent plastic bag, Rok Straps are the best. Took the place of a top box for me when carrying items. Just can't leave the items on the bike when you park, especially if valuable.

8 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I use the Mosko Moto Reckless 40 as a daily.
In one side i have my tools and a front inner-tube and on the other side free space for a lunchbox and a 1L MSR bottle of fuel.
In the goggle pocket on the beavertail i have a rain jacket and under the beavertail a first aid kit.

Do you do anything for security? Not worried about theft or anything? (bags and what is inside them)....I have the R40 as well but was concerned about that prospect

No, not at all.

It's a mental thing, if it's locked it must be containing valuables so without locks or easy to reach then it must be junk.

@Connor@Ray Ride4life

If you call your tools not valuable ...for me they are.

I put lockable  kriega steelcore straps over my softbags and luggageroll. Just to avoid being opend quickly when parked or at night camping. Offcouse with a knive its easy to cut open the bags it self. On my long trips outside europe i used pacsafe nets around the softbags. We always keep the bags on, also at camping or hotels when bikes are parked outside.

@BikeBrotheri think you misunderstoid. Someone who's out for stealing has a goal and go for that.

Orher thiefs use opportunity and if you don't have a lock they most likely asume that there are no valuables.

Most lockable luggage is also not hard to crack.

• Moderators

@r4_rick Knowing you'd prefer not having a top box, you're going to be stuck with a soft bag tail bag or tank bag.  You mention the Kriega 10L, which I think is a great setup, which I have been using on my dirtbike for 8 years and it's held up against all sorts of abuse, really good stuff.  I disagree with not putting a cable lock or somehow securing items to trick dishonest dirtbags into thinking there isn't anything valuable inside.   I agree thieves use opportunity to steal, but where some live, if it isn't bolted down,  it's gone.  Where you park is just as important as securing your load and sometimes it's tough for us to control that.

An alternative is something like the Emgo trunk which weighs less than 8 lbs,  including the mount.  I've also used one on a DRZ400 for years and beat the tar out of it and they hold up to the abuse, are watertight and lockable.  They'll fit a full face helmet, but the visor (peak) will need to be removed.   Great for short trips or small grocery runs as it's on/ off in 10 seconds.

20210805_081741.jpg.22c018e1a518bfad90aa90053405d505.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Emgo-72-32440-Travel-Trunk/dp/B000GVD0VE

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 8/28/2022 at 3:32 PM, prowlnS10 said:

I use the waterproof Endiristan Large (15L) Bag Topper as a tail bag & added a lock to the zippers an Abus 205 cable lock to secure the bag to the bike for added security when wanted..scroll about 1/2 way down this blog 

20211231_120922.jpg

Tools and air compressor go under the rally seat.  

Got two small bags that fit inside the oem front bars. Front tube in lhs. Tyre pressure gauge and other bits in rhs.

Got another small bag for rear tube that I hoped when fit under the rear oem rack but it slightly too bulky so it's strapped on the top.  

Topbox gets used for days out etc.