Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Crack in oil cooler

Ray Ride4life

Question

Anyone had something like this before?
I was cleaning the surface to install the new oil filter and i discovered a crack on the top. I did see some oil when i removed the bashplate and one of the hoses seemed a bit greasy and now i know where it came from.
Don't know if i missed it the last time already but i think not, didn't smell burned oil and before draining i checked the level which was just the same as after filling 9444km ago.

IMG_20220830_183649.jpg.a29e01b470db4b1785044d81ef7be1ba.jpg

It's a pricy part so tomorrow i take a long socket 24mm from work (don't have that size myself) to remove it and TIG weld it.
Just have to figure out what material it is, it is slightly magnetic but some stainless is still magnetic but that's for the day after tomorrow.

• Sad 1

15 answers to this question

Is it at all possible the filter was over tightened and the o ring flattened to cause  metal on metal thus wearing a hole / groove? 

18 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I was cleaning the surface to install the new oil filter and i discovered a crack on the top. I did see some oil when i removed the bashplate and one of the hoses seemed a bit greasy and now i know where it came from.
Don't know if i missed it the last time already but i think not, didn't smell burned oil and before draining i checked the level which was just the same as after filling 9444km ago.

IMG_20220830_183649.jpg.a29e01b470db4b1785044d81ef7be1ba.jpg

It's a pricy part so tomorrow i take a long socket 24mm from work (don't have that size myself) to remove it and TIG weld it.
Just have to figure out what material it is, it is slightly magnetic but some stainless is still magnetic but that's for the day after tomorrow.

I could be completely wrong, but it looks like a fettling crack, likely due to the filter housing rubbing on it.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

The filter housing shouldn't be able to rubbing, the O-ring is thick enough to prevent that i should say.
Good thing i have a second bike and i am a welder.

Could grit have got behind the gasket/oring  and caused the mark

Edited by Lewie

It's not a mark but a crack.
I always wash the bike before working on it to prevent dirt getting in places and don't use a pressure washer so no reason for dirt to get there.
The crack is also outside the o-ring perimeter.
I have a proper skidplate (Adventure Spec) and there was no damage on the filter.
I guess the cause will be next to impossible to discover but check your oil cooler housing when changing the filter.

• Like 1

What oil filter brand are you using?  I run either the stock Yamaha, HiFloFiltro HF204, or Honda equivalent.  It is good you caught and pointed out the crack as I will check mine the next oil/filter change.

3 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

If the cooler was cracked wouldn’t you see coolant coming out of the crack instead of oil?  I don’t think there is oil located behind the crack. Isn’t the cooler filled with coolant to cool the oil flowing through the oil filter?

Before you pull it to weld it, I’d make sure it is actually leaking like you think it it. What is your coolant level?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whisperquiet said:

What oil filter brand are you using?  I run either the stock Yamaha, HiFloFiltro HF204, or Honda equivalent.  It is good you caught and pointed out the crack as I will check mine the next oil/filter change.

OEM

53 minutes ago, Liquidape said:

If the cooler was cracked wouldn’t you see coolant coming out of the crack instead of oil?  I don’t think there is oil located behind the crack. Isn’t the cooler filled with coolant to cool the oil flowing through the oil filter?

Before you pull it to weld it, I’d make sure it is actually leaking like you think it it. What is your coolant level?

I think it's an air cooled oil cooler but i take it off tomorrow and then i can see more of it.
What was on the hose was greasy and coolant is not greasy and also giving the typical smell right away even with small amounts.

• Like 1

The oil cooler is liquid cooled. See image. From YOUR picture, he fettling is a larger radius than the o-ring which makes me think the oil filter was rubbing on the oil cooler housing, either directly or via some dirt. Don't overlook the obvious when trying to diagnose something mysterious. Snubbing up the oil filter very tightly may cause this. I will look at my own tonight to understand the standard clearance.

Oil Cooler.JPG

• Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Odd place to crack

Odd looking crack

Waiting for "The Rest Of The Story" as Paul Harvey used to say...

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

@Ray Ride4life Did you find out anything about your cracked cooler when you took it off?

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

7 hours ago, Hibobb said:

@Ray Ride4life Did you find out anything about your cracked cooler when you took it off?

I went to the dealer and they called to Yamaha.
The warranty was not in place anymore but they found it strange and he had to call someone else and he is looking into it.
Tomorrow i have to call and have to wait for that before taking it off.
If they find it strange enough they might warranty it after all but then the dealer probably have to change the part.

• Like 3

Good and bad news.
Bad news is that Yamaha has not replied and i don't have time to wait for it so i took the cooler down.
Good news: I cleaned it as preparation for welding and looked at it in good lighting and it looked like it is a scratch after all.

To confirm that i pressure tested it and it is not cracked.
Now i just have to figure out where the greasy substance on the inside of the bashplate and the coolant hose came from.

IMG_20220902_180534.jpg.de09cb51c527b646adebfc65ec346cee.jpg

• Like 2

Good to hear. I didn’t think it was a crack. If it was you would have had coolant all over the place instead of oil. 
Regarding the greasy substance - any chance one of your fork seals is weeping?  Might blow off the fork(s) onto the engine in that area. I don’t think it would be oil blow by since that gets sent to the air box. 

18 minutes ago, Liquidape said:

any chance one of your fork seals is weeping?

Nope, i have Touratech closed cardridge and Acerbis shock socks so even if a seal has blown it's just a little oil just for lubrication of the slide bushing but contaied by the socks.

I always tighten the oil filter hand tight because it only gets tighter, maybe a little leaked in the beginning. I also fill the filter partially before screwing it on.